The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

LSE vs Cambridge?

Dear All,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma right now!

Got an offer from Cambridge (MPhil Management) and LSE (MSc Economics and Management), and can't decide which one to go to.

Any advice or suggestions to help me make my decision?

Thanks
Original post by johnsmith123123
Dear All,

Got an offer from Cambridge (MPhil Management) and LSE (MSc Economics and Management), and can't decide which one to go to.

Thanks

It doesn't matter, pick whichever you fancy. Your personal characteristics and qualities (which neither of those experiences will alter, one more than the other) will outweigh any perceivable difference between these two qualifications when it comes to a career.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
One of these is appreciably more prestigious than the other. And it isn't the Cambridge one.
Reply 3
Dear All,

Thanks

Did you get funding?
Dear All,

Thanks

Can be tricky. I went to LSE for my first degree and later did some summer teaching in Cambridge so I have experience of both. Your personality and character are part of the equation; it is not only the establishment, it depends what turns you on.

Cambridge depends on your college to some extent. Cambridge is pretty and life is sweet. More of a small-town atmosphere and very much a student town.

London is big, noisy and dirty but offers a fantastic night life and is more full on and energetic.

threeportdrift makes a good point about it being YOU that matters a lot. Cambio wechsel prefers LSE (yay!) for its reputation but both Oxford and Cambridge degrees are well-regarded and still have something of a snob appeal in my view.

A day trip to each might be an idea and could help you to make your mind up.
Original post by cambio wechsel
One of these is appreciably more prestigious than the other. And it isn't the Cambridge one.

Why do you say LSE is more prestigious? Care to explain?

Thanks
Why do you say LSE is more prestigious? Care to explain?

I didn't say that. I said that course at the LSE is more prestigious than that course at Cambridge. If they were both Economics or both Management they might be much of a muchness.
Reply 7
I didn't say that. I said that course at the LSE is more prestigious than that course at Cambridge. If they were both Economics or both Management they might be much of a muchness.

What you are saying then is that economics is more prestigious than management, so he should go for the course that includes it?

Don't you think there is a bit of a perception in the workplace that people who do "economics and management" are generally people who tried but failed to get onto a pure Msc Economics?
Original post by sj27
What you are saying then is that economics is more prestigious than management, so he should go for the course that includes it?

I certainly think there are bragging rights to having studied economics at the postgrad level at the LSE, albeit that it was leavened with management.

And I had a look at the Cambridge course and think now it's a bit of a naughty offering, existing to subsidize those above and below: 80% of the cohort foreign, a quarter Chinese, the fees of the order you'd expect in courses with labs, and just 9 months long.
Reply 9
I certainly think there are bragging rights to having studied economics at the postgrad level at the LSE, albeit that it was leavened with management.

And I had a look at the Cambridge course and think now it's a bit of a naughty offering, existing to subsidize those above and below: 80% of the cohort foreign, a quarter Chinese, the fees of the order you'd expect in courses with labs, and just 9 months long.

Any idea how that compares with the LSE cohort? (Given that old TSR hobbyhorse about how all LSE masters are cash cows to sucker foreign students, or something :yawn: )

Although I'm not a fan of management courses in general so maybe I should just recuse myself from the conversation ...

Edit: had a look at the course page for the LSE course and I think it actually looks pretty interesting, but that's admittedly because I have a soft spot for economics and it is pretty much geared towards that side of things. OP may want to consider if either of the courses themselves appeal to him more, seeing as the LSE course is definitely not a 'typical' management course, whereas the Cam one is. LSE also noticeably more pricey but I'm assuming OP is not using that as a deciding factor as he hasn't mentioned it yet.
(edited 9 years ago)
LSE is better, but you already had a degree from them? So I guess it depends on which city you like better.
Cambridge. It's a unique place to be regardless of your college.
Reply 12
Dear All,

Thanks

The MPhil in Management at Cambridge is essentially a preparation for a career in research. It's not really meant for people who are looking to then go into industry.

However, the LSE degree is very focused and you'll get loads of exposure to employers. LSE's career service is also very impressive and they provide relatively good assistance with getting you the information you need for employment.

All in all, it's a decision based on your career objectives. If you're looking to go into research, then stick with Cambridge. If not, go with LSE.
Reply 13
Let me know if you decide to go to LSE. I also hold an offer for the MSc Economics and Management course.
Original post by kevinbarry
Can be tricky. I went to LSE for my first degree and later did some summer teaching in Cambridge so I have experience of both. Your personality and character are part of the equation; it is not only the establishment, it depends what turns you on.

Cambridge depends on your college to some extent. Cambridge is pretty and life is sweet. More of a small-town atmosphere and very much a student town.

London is big, noisy and dirty but offers a fantastic night life and is more full on and energetic.

threeportdrift makes a good point about it being YOU that matters a lot. Cambio wechsel prefers LSE (yay!) for its reputation but both Oxford and Cambridge degrees are well-regarded and still have something of a snob appeal in my view.

A day trip to each might be an idea and could help you to make your mind up.

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting what you're implying (i.e. that you think being at a 'less prestigious college' ruins the Cambridge experience) but I would say at the postgraduate level especially, your college has little if any impact on your actual academic studies. Sure it'd be great to be at one of the grander colleges like Trinity or John's but the fact is everyone wants to go to them and there isn't enough space for them. You still get taught by the same faculty, access to the same clubs and societies and all the trappings and prestige that comes with being at Cambridge and when push comes to shove I doubt many people would turn down an offer from say.....Clare Hall (not to be confused with Clare) or Lucy Cavendish in favour of a redbrick or other university on the grounds that it wasn't one of the grander colleges.

My college admittedly was not my first choice but I'm glad I'm here and at the end of the day it's Cambridge and there are very few places anywhere else in the country or the world I'd rather have been (Harvard don't really teach the course I was keen on).

Whether is Trinity or Wolfson, John's or Eddie's, you're still a Cantab and have that after your name and that's still held very much in high regard in the UK and beyond.

But then saying all that it's not like the LSE isn't going to provide rigorous teaching in a field which it is probably the best in the world at.

So the best criteria would be to see which institution will give you the skills you need for your future career......but out of the two I'd still pick Judge.
(edited 9 years ago)
Pretty sure when I looked LSE was £30k and Cambridge was £9k... And to me a masters doesn't help you that much for graduate prospects and so I would definitely go to Cambridge! Also not getting in to Oxbridge for undergrad means I would love to go for postgrad :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gridiron-Gangster
Perhaps I'm misinterpreting what you're implying (i.e. that you think being at a 'less prestigious college' ruins the Cambridge experience)

I guess I did not explain it properly. You are right: the Cambridge (or dare I say it Oxford too) experience is not ruined by going to any particular College. It can be, and should be, a great experience. I merely meant that some people will be happier at some colleges than others. If one is really happy and relaxed then one can study more effectively. Different people would be happier in London I imagine. Having experienced both, me, I would prefer Cambridge yet I now live in London....

In the end I think that getting that brilliant job depends on a variety of factors including how well you did, what sort of references you get, who the reference is from, what the competition for the post is like, who is on the selection panel, what the hirer is really looking for - and which college or university you went to. No doubt sheer luck and blind predudice also play a part.

Just my two pennorth.
[QUOTE="kevinbarry;47560916"]
Original post by Gridiron-Gangster
Perhaps I'm misinterpreting what you're implying (i.e. that you think being at a 'less prestigious college' ruins the Cambridge experience)

I guess I did not explain it properly. You are right: the Cambridge (or dare I say it Oxford too) experience is not ruined by going to any particular College. It can be, and should be, a great experience. I merely meant that some people will be happier at some colleges than others. If one is really happy and relaxed then one can study more effectively. Different people would be happier in London I imagine. Having experienced both, me, I would prefer Cambridge yet I now live in London....

In the end I think that getting that brilliant job depends on a variety of factors including how well you did, what sort of references you get, who the reference is from, what the competition for the post is like, who is on the selection panel, what the hirer is really looking for - and which college or university you went to. No doubt sheer luck and blind predudice also play a part.

Just my two pennorth.

All valid points. The point about being relaxed I agree however I guess that is really down to the individual student and ultimately what they prioritise in their university life or experience. If being surrounded by old buildings constantly is the sole factor to motivate them rather than being taught by some the best experts in their field, then so be it.

I would still recommend Cambridge however as in the grand scheme of things I think to get an offer from Oxbridge is still 'tougher' than at other places but LSE is probably an exception to the rule. However if it were a case of declining one and then hoping to go there again next year etc, I'd decline LSE in favour of Cambridge as I could envisage getting an offer again from LSE but perhaps not Cambridge.

But then again it's not so much the academic aspect of Cambridge that I would choose it over LSE as both are on par academically. It's more the social aspects e.g. The ability to join the Cambridge Union, formal halls, may balls, joining the hawks, getting a full blue or half blue, the colleges, joining the Oxford Cambridge Club in London, the quirks and traditions, the boat race etc etc.

It's often held as the bastion of Britishness and still is regarded as one of the finest institutions in the world and to have that beside my name fills me with pride and would do so wherever I ended up after that and if you excelled in your studies at Cambridge, any other institution would be hard pressed not to make you an offer, depending on the field of course.

But then again that's me assuming OP would want to go to both Cambridge and LSE.

But OP I say come to Cambridge but wherever you go it will do no harm whatsoever to your career prospects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending