The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lantan
Soooo..... after 33 application forms and 6 interviews I finally got my job. Very-very pleased.

Original post by pgce2013

Congrats folks! :biggrin: Hard work has paid off :smile:
Original post by lantan
It is! This weekend I completed 8 and thought of shooting myself as it was so tedious. In a sense I much prefer the actual interviews as they are exciting - and get progressively easier as you go along. In my today's interview I wasn't the least bit nervous - I just couldn't care after doing so many of them... Did you feel anything similar? How many interviews/applications have you done? Just curious! :smile:

That's exactly why I got my job last week. I went into the interview thinking what will be will be!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Definitely agree with those saying you get the job at the stage when you loosen up and the interview doesn't feel so stressful.

I had 1 unsuccessful PGCE interview for 2010 entry, then 1 Teach First and 1 PGCE interview for 2012, before my successful one. By the final one, the interview just felt like a chat - we had a giggle and it was very relaxed.

The same when I applied for teaching jobs last year. I submitted 9 applications and attended 6 interviews plus 1 informal chat at a school I hadn't even applied to. By the last 2 (interview and informal chat) which were on the same day as each other, I felt so much more relaxed and was offered both posts!

I do turn into an absolute nutter in interviews though - I go into some kind of bizarre stream-of-consciousness mode where I say random things that pop into my head, but also am really funny and make the interviewers laugh - something I'm totally incapable of in everyday life when I'm really quite boring!
Original post by outlaw-torn
That's exactly why I got my job last week. I went into the interview thinking what will be will be!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep!
I liked the school today - although it will definitely be challenging, I'm very excited!:smile:
I feel like I'm falling behind - everyone's getting or got jobs. I've applied to a number of schools and only had the one interview. I must be doing something wrong with my applications. Perhaps my best bet will be after the teacher resignation deadline or even supply :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tutor came in today for the final time and I got graded good with outstanding features so very happy with that!

20 teaching days left - pressure is off in a way but still feel like it's going to drag. So very nearly there!
Original post by qwerty_mad
I feel like I'm falling behind - everyone's getting or got jobs. I've applied to a number of schools and only had the one interview. I must be doing something wrong with my applications. Perhaps my best bet will be after the teacher resignation deadline or even supply :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just plod along, it will all fall in place. I never thought I would get a job at this stage as I wasn't applying to many places. You will get something soon now the time for many to get jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hiya, Question to all PGCE Primaryers: I know asking this question on this thread is probably going to get a biased answer against the PGCE - but if you had your time over, would you have done the PGCE still or would you have studied Primary Teaching as an undergrad?
Original post by flower124
Hiya, Question to all PGCE Primaryers: I know asking this question on this thread is probably going to get a biased answer against the PGCE - but if you had your time over, would you have done the PGCE still or would you have studied Primary Teaching as an undergrad?

I would have stuck with the Primary PGCE. It hasn't been too hard for me - I've managed the workload quite well, part because I've had two mentors who've made life quite easy in that respect. But if someone is intent on teaching before starting their undergraduate I would suggest the degree.

I still have a passion for A-Level History so may look into that in a few years time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just plod along, it will all fall in place. I never thought I would get a job at this stage as I wasn't applying to many places. You will get something soon now the time for many to get jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that's what I'll be doing. Patience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qwerty_mad

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't get my NQT job until term had started in September. Don't panic!

Maybe try changing your PS. I was sticking with one page, for example, as I'd been told by one head they'd prefer that. But a friend got interviews with 2 pages, so I switched to that and got my first (and only, apart from the one I got!) interview. Make sure you're focussing on 1. The features the school wants in you 2. What makes you YOU as a teacher.

I would have stuck with what I did. I love teaching but I still think it's nice to have that backup incase things don't go right. Having said that I don't think a PGCE is a substitute for an undergrad degree at all (It's not the same stuff crammed in to a year!). But if you're willing to work really hard and continue to develop lots over the first few years (which you kind of have to anyway!) you can make up for it a bit when you are working as a teacher.

xxx
Original post by kpwxx
I didn't get my NQT job until term had started in September. Don't panic!

Maybe try changing your PS. I was sticking with one page, for example, as I'd been told by one head they'd prefer that. But a friend got interviews with 2 pages, so I switched to that and got my first (and only, apart from the one I got!) interview. Make sure you're focussing on 1. The features the school wants in you 2. What makes you YOU as a teacher.

I would have stuck with what I did. I love teaching but I still think it's nice to have that backup incase things don't go right. Having said that I don't think a PGCE is a substitute for an undergrad degree at all (It's not the same stuff crammed in to a year!). But if you're willing to work really hard and continue to develop lots over the first few years (which you kind of have to anyway!) you can make up for it a bit when you are working as a teacher.

xxx
Thanks for replying! :smile: in a bit of a dilemma as applied to primary ed degree courses and also non QTS courses incase I changed my mind/wanted to keep options open.. I've actually picked a non QTS degree in the end but keep worrying the PGCE will be way more stressful than undergrad. My thinking was I don't feel quite ready or mature enough to do teacher training yet as well as like you, wanting a back up if all didnt go to plan,so gathered PGCE would be a better option. Just have to trust I've made the right decision! What degree did you do for undergrad if you don't mind me asking? Hope everything is going well :smile:
Thanks for replying! :smile: in a bit of a dilemma as applied to primary ed degree courses and also non QTS courses incase I changed my mind/wanted to keep options open.. I've actually picked a non QTS degree in the end but keep worrying the PGCE will be way more stressful than undergrad. My thinking was I don't feel quite ready or mature enough to do teacher training yet as well as like you, wanting a back up if all didnt go to plan,so gathered PGCE would be a better option. Just have to trust I've made the right decision! What degree did you do for undergrad if you don't mind me asking? Hope everything is going well :smile:

I did maths, so not teaching related or vocational at all! Though I did do a teaching and learning of maths module :biggrin:

I think you've probably made the right decision for you; yes, a PGCE is more stressful but it's also doable if teaching is what you really want to do! The work is at a masters level but really that means that you need to be at a 2:2 level + to pass, rather than a 3rd level... it's not as scary as it sounds. I didn't do a dissertation or much essay writing at all in my degree and I got on OK with the assignments. As for the teaching side, time is an issue but that's teaching! You will get used to it and so it will get better as you go along.

xxx
Hey does anyone know if there is an NQT thread, can't seem to find one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is. It's called 'The NQT Year Thread'. Sorry I can't link it because I'm using the TSR app.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys, sorry to interrupt this thread but I was just wondering on a similar note how many weeks you get off for Christmas and Easter and when the course actually ends in summer?
I'd imagine you'd have similar holidays to official school holidays, so 2 weeks for Xmas/Easter etc. I think you'll probably be spending most of that time doing work though. Check with the uni you've applied to/want to apply to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1766069

It's in the stickies just under this thread :p:
Original post by browneyes89
Hey guys, sorry to interrupt this thread but I was just wondering on a similar note how many weeks you get off for Christmas and Easter and when the course actually ends in summer?

I got the two weeks off for both.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by browneyes89

I got 3 weeks at Christmas, 2 weeks at Easter and finish at the end of June

Also, last day of placement tomorrow! I can't wait to sleep :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending