The Student Room Group
Ravensbourne University London
London

Ravensbourne- Accommodation

Hey guys,

I've been accepted with a conditional offer of CC to study Digital Film Production (yay!) and now i'm sorting out my student finance whilst trying to find accommodation.

After looking at student finance, the maximum funds I could get per year (loan and grant) is £9445 (I think?) and the accommodation recommended by Ravensbourne (Scape) is £180.90 per week for a 51 week contract, which makes £9225.90. That leaves me with £219.10 for the year, which as you can see, is really not a lot.

After looking into alternative accommodation, I can't find anywhere suitable that is cheaper than Scape! I would like to stay at Scape though, as it does look pretty awesome. But I just want to know if anyone else is having the same problems as I am?

Also, for current students who may have this problem, how are you getting around it? I think that getting a part time job in London would be the best way to solve things, but are there many local student jobs there?

Okay, so I appreciate i've asked a lot on this thread, but thanks to anyone who replies!
Hi, I'm doing the same course same offer! I'm having the same issues with accommodation, I'm trying to see where the majority of students are staying? but cant find anything, these no Facebook ground for 2014 students yet either, do you know if scape is where most people stay? also how do you get scape for £180? on the website its £215?
i doubt you know any of this as well but work asking! haha
London
Reply 2
Hey, I've spoken to a few other students and they said that scape is where they'll also be staying. Although it says £215 on the scape website, it says on the rave website that it starts at £180.90? So I'm not sure haha, I hope that helps though!
Scape it is then! Now to find where to get the discount! Does anyone know if we have to pay for 51 weeks or can do less? Thanks
Reply 4
Haha I'm on it now! Just waiting for an email response, which will likely be tomorrow! There is an option on the website for short term lets, but I'm not sure how that works.
Reply 5
If anyone is looking for alternative accommodation to Scape, look up Farndale Court run by Student Management Services. It isn't as flashy as Scape, although it is more than sufficient, with a double bed and en suite standard, plus free parking for anyone wanting to bring their car... I have been given a conditional offer for the post production course at Ravensbourne, but I simply cannot afford to go to Scape. Farndale Court is a 48 week contract priced at £145 p/week. Apparently this year there are around fifty Ravensbourne students staying there. I plan to cycle to Ravensbourne, which will take around 10 minutes. If you need any more information on it, then just let me know. Cheers.
Hi,

I can see why you are confused, it's best to ring Scape themselves they also do regular tours of their building.

There are plenty of cheap and cheerful places to live within London, don't forget that the tube station is right by the university along with many buses.

Unite do good student accomendation throughout the country: http://www.unite-students.com/london

Many of our current students commute into the university, a good way of getting in touch with these students is through our accomendation facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/266504406695974/?ref=ts&fref=ts

Hope this helps and good luck finding a place :smile:
Is the population of Scape primarily 1st year students, similar to dorms at other universities? That is to say, would I feel old and out of place as a 28 year old postgrad student surrounded by freshers? Or is it pretty much everybody?
Reply 8
I've applied to the Unite Students accommodation in Stratford which is £175 a week. The Jubilee line takes you straight to the Uni in 10 minutes. here's the link if anyone was interest in an alternative to the Scape accommodation.
http://www.unite-students.com/london/unite-stratford-one
Original post by LauraKiing
I've applied to the Unite Students accommodation in Stratford which is £175 a week. The Jubilee line takes you straight to the Uni in 10 minutes. here's the link if anyone was interest in an alternative to the Scape accommodation.
http://www.unite-students.com/london/unite-stratford-one

Another good choice!
:smile:
Original post by thealphamike
Is the population of Scape primarily 1st year students, similar to dorms at other universities? That is to say, would I feel old and out of place as a 28 year old postgrad student surrounded by freshers? Or is it pretty much everybody?

Hi Mike! I'm living at Scape next year, I think theres both 1st year and other students too, i would have thought mainly 1st year then people go off and get a flat! It looks incredible though!!
Original post by thealphamike

Original post by timhburton
Hi Mike! I'm living at Scape next year, I think theres both 1st year and other students too, i would have thought mainly 1st year then people go off and get a flat! It looks incredible though!!

Hi guys!

Thanks Timothy, glad you like the look!

Mike - We do have a lot of first years at Scape Greenwich, about 55%, but we usually end up with about 25% post graduate or mature students.

We have quiet hours and you have your own studio, if you're concerned about noise, but Scape Greenwich is very sociable, and as a Ravensbourne student living at Scape you already have quite a bit in common with the other people in the building, so I'm sure you'll feel at home.

Hope this helps and we look forward to seeing you in September!

- Jane
We have a single room up for grabs!

Rent - 400 a month plus bills
Location - Leyton (35 mins from Uni)
House - large kitchen and garden fully furnished
Deposit - none required!
Availability - need someone to move in from the 3rd of October

Us - We are 3 approachable, clean and easy going guys. Two 3rd years and one graduate at Ravensbourne. Contact me for more info and/or if want to meet us!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending