The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Current first year, ask away!

I already saw one of these set up but I thought maybe I might be able to provide a different approach to any other questions which were closer to me. I am a fresher, living in Cryfield and I did Film Studies this year, but next year I'm changing to sociology (so I'll be a first year again with you guys).

So feel free to ask me any general questions, or maybe questions about Cryfield or any other accommodation and I can provide my view, or maybe Film?

I'm on a corridor with around 36 other people, so you can ask about quite a lot of courses and I can try and tell you how big their work load is and stuff.

I was a huge stresser this time last year, so I know what it feels like to get your questions answered, so don't be afraid to ask no matter how stupid they may seem :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Computer science general please! :smile:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Hi,
I was just wondering whether there is a supermarket somewhere around the university, where I could buy cutlery and other stuff? I live abroad and it would be very inconvenient to bring everything with me. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by tetroquark
Hi,
I was just wondering whether there is a supermarket somewhere around the university, where I could buy cutlery and other stuff? I live abroad and it would be very inconvenient to bring everything with me. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's a Tesco a 5 minute walk from campus :biggrin:
Thanks, but where I live we don't have Tesco :biggrin: can you find beddings etc. there? If not, where is the nearest shop, where I could buy that stuff? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PeytonLouise
I already saw one of these set up but I thought maybe I might be able to provide a different approach to any other questions which were closer to me. I am a fresher, living in Cryfield and I did Film Studies this year, but next year I'm changing to sociology (so I'll be a first year again with you guys).

So feel free to ask me any general questions, or maybe questions about Cryfield or any other accommodation and I can provide my view, or maybe Film?

I'm on a corridor with around 36 other people, so you can ask about quite a lot of courses and I can try and tell you how big their work load is and stuff.

I was a huge stresser this time last year, so I know what it feels like to get your questions answered, so don't be afraid to ask no matter how stupid they may seem :smile:

If money isn't an issue, what is the best accommodation to be in?
Reply 6
Computer Science -
I only know one person who's doing computer science and in all honesty I don't talk to him that much, but he seems to enjoy his course and he's not shut away doing work all the time so I'm guessing it's not too extensive, I'll ask him for you then come back to you with this one, sorry!

Shopping -
There is a shopping centre, which as said is around a 5-10 minute walk away from Campus and can vary dependent on your accommodation, and it has things like tesco, wilkinsons, iceland, etc so you'll easily be able to buy bedding/cutlery and any other essentials.

Accommodation - money -
It depends whether you're looking to be social or not. Bluebell and Sherbourne are obviously newly built and to me Bluebell looks like a really posh hotel, but then it's a common stereotype that Bluebell people tend to keep themselves to themselves and aren't very social. Also, international students are favoured for Bluebell as it's a longer let, so it's easier for internationals to keep their stuff on campus. You also get an en suite and things, but like I said it depends on what kind of person you are.
Thank you :smile:
Why did you choose to change courses, if you don't mind me asking? I've firmed film and literature..
I've read that when you arrive at Warwick, it is required to get a bant account (like Barclay's bank account). Why is that neccessary? Or does it not apply for the ones who already have a card (from foreign bank)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What sort of teaching do they have? Thanks xx
Original post by tetroquark
I've read that when you arrive at Warwick, it is required to get a bant account (like Barclay's bank account). Why is that neccessary? Or does it not apply for the ones who already have a card (from foreign bank)?

No, but all the big banks offer various benefits with their student accounts - the Santander railcard is particularly nice.
Original post by Bbzbizzare
What sort of teaching do they have? Thanks xx

Varies wildly between courses/modules/lecturers/years/everything else. Can you be more specific?
I am looking to take biology, next year xx
I am looking to take biology, next year xx

Lectures, tutorials and labs.
Thanks, do you know how the exams are done, is there any coursework? Xxxx
Thanks, do you know how the exams are done, is there any coursework? Xxxx

There is coursework for Quantitative Biology. You have essays set in your tutorials over Christmas (Citric acid cycle) and Easter (Endosymbiotic theory, if you're studying Biological Sciences). Your exams are either an hour or an hour and a half. You'll have seven in total if you're studying Biological Sciences.
Original post by Lethorio
There is coursework for Quantitative Biology. You have essays set in your tutorials over Christmas (Citric acid cycle) and Easter (Endosymbiotic theory, if you're studying Biological Sciences). Your exams are either an hour or an hour and a half. You'll have seven in total if you're studying Biological Sciences.

Thank you so much :smile: xx
Original post by orsonwelles
Why did you choose to change courses, if you don't mind me asking? I've firmed film and literature..

It just wasn't what I expected personally, and I didn't really enjoy it. Although I know a lot of people on my course did, so it's purely subjective. Plus, I did straight film and not film & lit, so I can't account for the lit side of things.
Reply 18
Hey i'll also be doing Sociology in September!!! I'm currently on my gap year haha are you doing a straight sociology course? :smile:
Yeah I am, which modules do you think you're gonna pick ?

Quick Reply

Latest