The Student Room Group

Masters Loan - UK national returning from working visa.

Hi,

I am a British citizen who has lived my whole life in the UK.

I plan to travel to Australia on a working visa later this year, and I may stay there for up to three years.

If the current rules were to remain unchanged, would I be eligible for a masters loan upon my return?

"You can apply for the Postgraduate Master’s Loan if all of the following are true:

- you’re a UK national or Irish citizen or have settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme or indefinite leave to remain so there are no restrictions on how long you can stay

- you normally live in England

- you’ve been living in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for 3 years in a row before the first day of the first academic year of your course (apart from temporary absences such as holidays) "

Original post by mordenjosh
Hi,

I am a British citizen who has lived my whole life in the UK.

I plan to travel to Australia on a working visa later this year, and I may stay there for up to three years.

If the current rules were to remain unchanged, would I be eligible for a masters loan upon my return?

"You can apply for the Postgraduate Master’s Loan if all of the following are true:

- you’re a UK national or Irish citizen or have settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme or indefinite leave to remain so there are no restrictions on how long you can stay

- you normally live in England

- you’ve been living in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for 3 years in a row before the first day of the first academic year of your course (apart from temporary absences such as holidays) "

Hi there,

Time spent abroad is fine so long as it's temporary. So, for example, when you apply you'll be asked to show proof that you were away from the UK on a temporary basis. If your work visa shows this, then that should be acceptable.

Based on what you've said you should be entitled to the Postgraduate Loan with the current rules. Just to say, it's possible that the rules won't be the same in 3 years time, but this information is correct for now.

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 2
Awesome, great news. Thanks for clearing that up.

Much appreciated,
Josh
Original post by mordenjosh
Awesome, great news. Thanks for clearing that up.

Much appreciated,
Josh

You're welcome Josh!
Have a nice day!
Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending