The Student Room Group

GCSE OCR 21st Century Triple Science (CBP1-7) Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ColeNate
Filament -> High resistance -> Electrons colliding with positive charges -> Heat generated -> Begins to glow -> Visible light emitted

Vice versa for connecting wires I believe

Yeah I realise that now haha
Let me just go cry in a corner please... :frown:
What happened in the question where they added a battery in parallel?
Original post by ColeNate
I didn't mention KE and GPE because I wasn't confident enough on it in the context of long jumping to be honest. I mentioned friction between his feet and the floor, the resultant force generated forwards, how momentum increases with force and other factors which could have slowed him down such as air resistance and disabilities.

I was exactly the same - I didn't mention any thing about K.E + G.P.E - I also wrote the same thing as you about driving forces, friction, backward and forward forces + counter forces - we should be in the 4 mark boundary - maybe 5 for that question :smile:
How do everyone find it
Original post by TomSmith98
I got 0.00000003 recurring. Mass = Energy / Speed of light squared. The number sounds reasonable because nuclear fission is much more efficient than burning coal. Can anyone clarify :confused:

Yes, that is correct, I believe: it only takes an extremely small mass of uranium to give out a lot of energy.

As for the filament question, the filament wire is thinner, giving it more resistance as the free electrons collide with the fixed lattice of ions in the filament more regularly, transferring more kinetic energy (heat) which then transfers to light energy. Opposite for the connecting wire.

Adding a resistor in parallel, meanwhile, decreases the total resistance of the circuit.
(edited 9 years ago)
I think I may have literally spent about 7 hours trying to teach myself all the electricky stuff in P6 yesterday and was quite confident before the exam today.....
.....But I fumbled it when it came down to the wire...... :wink:
I thought the exam was neither hard or easy. I think ive made a lot of silly mistakes! What did everyone get for the change in momentum question? I guessed and put 0.4:s
and for the usain bolt question was it 8.7 or 9.7? I ended up putting 9.7
Original post by Amyjonesx
I thought the exam was neither hard or easy. I think ive made a lot of silly mistakes! What did everyone get for the change in momentum question? I guessed and put 0.4:s

My money's on 9.7. On Wikipedia it says that his record was actually 9.58 seconds but that's close enough for the mark.
Original post by Amyjonesx

Same with the hardness of the questions :smile:, I didn't find the test easy, I found it quite fair but still had a struggle with time and it did seem hard at parts but I was expecting a lot worse :biggrin:
I don't remember I remember putting 2.4 for one but I don't think it's the same question :/

I got 9.7
Reply 1510
Original post by -sophia-
What happened in the question where they added a battery in parallel?

The voltage remains the same and so does the current. Voltage is always constant in a parallel circuit and the current ACROSS each branch will also be the same as if it were the only one present.
Original post by akl141
The voltage remains the same and so does the current. Voltage is always constant in a parallel circuit and the current ACROSS each branch will also be the same as if it were the only one present.

Ah, bugger then. I put they both increase. :frown:
Original post by akl141

Ah i put voltage increase and current stays the same :/
Reply 1513
The other question, which combination of 100 Ohm and 200 Ohm resistors had the lowest total resistance, the answer was two 100 Ohm resistors in parallel because the resistance halves as there are more pathways for the charge to go through.
What do you think the grade boundaries will be like? It was 34 for an a* last year
Original post by akl141
The other question, which combination of 100 Ohm and 200 Ohm resistors had the lowest total resistance, the answer was two 100 Ohm resistors in parallel because the resistance halves as there are more pathways for the charge to go through.

Yep that's the one I chose :smile:
It was awful omfg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jillianmckeith
I didn't know that filaments are resistors! I started talking about how the filament is thinner so the charge has to squeeze through it more incomparison the the thicker wires connected to the filament which would've heated it up more haha

same thats what i talked about didn't know they were resistors either !:angry:
I'm guessing the grade boundaries will be around 36 or 37 for an A* this year, based on what I've heard from other people.
I made some really stupid mistakes and I'm a bit worried about it.

I wrote down what to put in the calculator for the 3.0 X10^9/(3.0X10^8)^2

But then I forgot to square the bottom one!!! So mad at myself for that.

Anyway what did anyone put for the Usain Bolt one for at what point was he accelerating the most at?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending