The Student Room Group

In England,is the difference of popularity between football and other sport becoming

In England,is the difference of popularity between football and other sport becoming bigger or becoming smaller in recent years?

Scroll to see replies

I don't think any other sport comes close to football in England.
Original post by Zerforax
I don't think any other sport comes close to football in England.

I do think some of our other sports (e.g cricket, rugby, f1, darts) are becoming more popular and there are various reasons for this. However in terms of popularity, size and media coverage nothing will ever come close to football in this country. It's our national game and that is not going to change.

Obviously i'm discounting one off events like the Olympics and the Ashes.
Reply 3
I actually think cricket and rugby are decreasing in popularity.

It seems to me that events like The Ashes and Wimbledon get massive attention, but other than that a lot of people remain unbothered about those sports. In terms of activity, you've got to say cycling is getting more prominent as more people take it up. But, in my view, something which is primarily considered a form of transport is not a sport.
I think it got bigger due to middle-class people jumping on the football bandwagon and leaving cricket and rugby
Reply 5
Well it is the number 1 Sport in the World 3.5 billion

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
This same question was asked in yahoo answers
https://malaysia.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20140611034518AAIo9B0

Yes:

"On the eve of the World Cup, football seems bigger and more dominant than ever. It’s the world’s richest, most watched and most played sport. The summer Olympics is the only sporting event able to match the World Cup, and this is only through combining some 41 sports.

But football’s dominance isn’t inevitable. Other sports inspire as much passion and fervour and dominate in certain countries or regions. So will any other sport ever take over from football?

Football certainly seems deeply ingrained in our psyche. It has roots in so many parts of the world. Other sports may be strongly supported in a country or region, such as cricket and rugby in Commonwealth countries, or American Football and Baseball in North America. Versions of football, however, emerged millennia ago in far-flung parts of the world from China and Japan to Argentina and England. Football is played across the richest parts of the world and in emerging markets in Asia, Latin America and Africa.

Yes, football might be considered more of a participation sport in the US, but the MLS is growing fast and currently has higher average attendances than its rival ice hockey or basketball leagues. Cricket is still the main sport in India, but even there interest in football is on the rise among young people, although it is mainly centred on international clubs watched via satellite TV in bars, rather than being watched in the home or at live matches.

So why might football dominate? It may partly be because it has a format and rules which are relatively easy to understand. Football might even be compared to those types of products (technology and “high-touch” or luxury), which are apparently easier to standardise globally. Football matches last 90 minutes, half as long as baseball and far more reasonable than cricket’s encounters of up to five days. A shorter game fits well with the busy lives of sports consumers and bodes well for football’s continued global expansion2

http://theconversation.com/will-football-always-be-the-biggest-sport-in-the-world-27761
Reply 7
England still won't win a tournament any time soon. What a shame! :tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by Roger1
England still won't win a tournament any time soon. What a shame! :tongue:

And when they do all the whingers will jump on the bandwagon.
hmm.....football always was the most popular sport.

But then cricket was probably 2nd place in the 80s with Botham, then once England got **** in the 90s and then came good in the 2000s I guess it got popular again. As of now, I'd say it's still cricket, with rubgy union and league. Snooker, nobody watches nor gives a **** about, tennis is only for Wimbledon, athletics isn't that popular either, etc.
Original post by Mackay

It seems to me that events like The Ashes and Wimbledon get massive attention, but other than that a lot of people remain unbothered about those sports. In terms of activity, you've got to say cycling is getting more prominent as more people take it up. But, in my view, something which is primarily considered a form of transport is not a sport.

So they compete but it's not sport, and when they compete it's not for transport....
Reply 11
I can see it changing to an extent within the next few decades if England continue to do pants and perhaps the EPL slightly falls from its perch. It would be nice for other sporting events like the Ashes or rugby world cup to get a similar amount of hype.
I think so. I've noticed that people these days seem less pressured to become football fanatics and embrace other sports.
Never heard anyone say they want to be a darts champion....
Original post by scrawlx101
Never heard anyone say they want to be a darts champion....

Lol

It's a working class sport. The old once pub drinkers (beer bellies out) won't ever be a popular as Football, Tennis, Snooker or Rugby.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mackay

In that case I guess running can't be a sport because that was originally a form of transport. Same goes for swimming.
Let's be honest football's popular because it's easy to play. You can do it in the street as long as you have a ball and some mates. In America basketball's popular for the same reason. Sports like rugby or cricket need more organisation to be played properly, so they're never going to be as popular with people as they grow up as football is.
Reply 17
Original post by mrfletch
In that case I guess running can't be a sport because that was originally a form of transport. Same goes for swimming.

Correct.
Well netball is pretty popular with us girls (& some boys too I think) :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not much tbh. I wish basketball was more popular in Enlgand, but that won't happend anytime soon.

Quick Reply

Latest