The Student Room Group

Degree Classifications at your University?

Hey everyone.

As it's approaching results day (or already has been for some), I wanted to ask about your individual universities' degree classifications.

I'm finishing my third year in Biomedical Science at the University of Bedfordshire.

I was looking at the degree classification on this website and it showed that a first was generally 70% or above.

Is this just an outdated arbitrary number or does it still apply to some universities/courses?

At my university, you have to average 87.5% or above to get a 1st. As my results are coming in, it would appear that I'm above the standard 70% but fall short of their first requirements (from my grades received back so far). I should get a 2:1.

I suppose I just wanted to compare degree classifications between the universities to see if other universities do actually use the 70%.

Plus I just can't help but be disappointed with a 2:1. Thanks everyone.

Good luck with all of your results.
Reply 1
I know it has only been two hours but... BUMP.
Reply 2
I know for city university London computer science you need 70% for a first according to their website

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Katie~Luna
Hey everyone.

As it's approaching results day (or already has been for some), I wanted to ask about your individual universities' degree classifications.

I'm finishing my third year in Biomedical Science at the University of Bedfordshire.

I was looking at the degree classification on this website and it showed that a first was generally 70% or above.

Is this just an outdated arbitrary number or does it still apply to some universities/courses?

At my university, you have to average 87.5% or above to get a 1st. As my results are coming in, it would appear that I'm above the standard 70% but fall short of their first requirements (from my grades received back so far). I should get a 2:1.

I suppose I just wanted to compare degree classifications between the universities to see if other universities do actually use the 70%.

Plus I just can't help but be disappointed with a 2:1. Thanks everyone.

Good luck with all of your results.

Not heard that one, at my uni- UEA, its 70% across all subjects for a 1st (medicine aside which is pass/fail at most unis as I understand it)
85%+ overall for a first in my uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
70% for a 1st in all Life Science courses at the University of Brighton. 60% for a 2:1, 50% for a 2:2, 40% for a Pass.
Reply 6
Wow! A fair few seem to be 70%. What uni is the 85%?
Also, do your universities calculate the results purely from the third year?

Ours disregards first year, but takes into account second and third year, with third having the most bearing.
70% for a first at my university.

I obtained a 2.1, I am a little dissapointed even though I know that it was very unlikely that I'd get a first.

i got 70% in my dissertation though :woo:

no, second and third year only
Reply 10
We can do ours entirely on the third year. With a third year average of 73%, I've got a 2:1. Disappointed really.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
For life sciences at Glasgow Uni it's
40-49% for a 3rd
50-59% for a 2.2
60-69% for a 2.1
70%+ for a 1st
And that's just the way it works I think! Possibly if everyone was to get ridiculously low grades overall they might change the banding? But that rarely ever happens, not in my life science degree (genetics) anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending