The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by De Chirico
You can't ignore the fact that Ozil scored, even if it was at the end of the game. Turned out to be the goal that won it for the Germans.

of course, you are correct here.
regardless of how he played, it was a decent finish in the end (even though he should've shot instantly, rather than score the rebound)

my point was just that (in my opinion), he was the worst player on the pitch so it's kind of funny how he ended up winning the match.

obviously in any insult to an arsenal player in an arsenal thread will be met with deluded responses.

Original post by B-Stacks
I guess we see it differently. Collectively and individually it was a bad performance from A lot of them but seems its so much easier to target Ozil because of his style of play.

Posted from TSR Mobile

that's fair enough man; i respect that you put it that way rather than screaming/swearing at me for disagreeing with you.

the issue with Ozil is that he makes the wrong decision, and that's something a viewer will seldom miss.
the reason why it is so frustrating is because we all know how good he really is - we say it in 2010 and we've seen glimpses at arsenal.

yeah, germany weren't good at all (bar Neuer).
algeria played at the top of their game and germany were below par.
the fact that germany still won does show that quality generally wins out in the end.

gotta feel for algeria though - a shame to see a team try so hard and lose it in the end.
BFG had a bit of a row with ZDF tonight, what a legend :laugh:

Original post by Luke_Mckeown
the issue with Ozil is that he makes the wrong decision, and that's something a viewer will seldom miss.

Didn't watch the game today but good decision making is the strong point of Ozil's game...
United's German contingent - Kroos & Schweinsteiger - weren't exactly stellar either, pipe down bruvs.
Original post by C.Almasy
Shut up Luke.

love your debating skills:facepalm:

Original post by dave143
Didn't watch the game today but good decision making is the strong point of Ozil's game...

correct, that is generally his strong point which is why it was so clear to see he had a dire game today.
when he messes up as many chances as he did, when he gets tackled as many times as he did, it's hard not to notice, especially for a player you aren't used to seeing it with.
Ozil wasn't even close to the worst player of the match...
Original post by AR_95
Ozil wasn't even close to the worst player of the match...

Gotze and Kroos were at least as bad
I dont understand why people seem to always jump on the back of Ozil. Yes he didnt have a great game but he showed his class by netting the goal which helped Germany into the quarters. Ozil wasnt the worst player on the pitch, it was arguably Gotze, i barely noticed him on the pitch tbh.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
BFG had a bit of a row with ZDF tonight, what a legend :laugh:

What was the row about ?
What was the row about ?

Interviewer: It should be clear that you (german team) have to improve
Per: What do you want from me? So short after the game? I don't understand it
Interviewer: I just wanted to ask why the defense looked so shaky
Per: Do you believe it's a circus act in the round of 16 or what? They made it hard for us over 120 minutes and we won. It was an up and down but still you have to keep the 0 and we won in the end. Let's wait 3 days and analyse the game.
Interviewer: Do you hope for a wow effect like in 2010?
Per: What do you want? Do you want us to get knocked out again playing fancy football? I don't understand the whole questions, we advanced and are happy.
What was the row about ?

The interviewer keeps asking about the poor performance in a disrespectful way and Per asks him if he thinks Algeria are a joke team basically and whether he'd prefer if they played beautifully but lost. Said it was an exhausting game and that the interviewer should be celebrating being in the QF instead, and that they deserved the win in the end anyway

Finishes off with ''ist mir Wurst'' =''I couldnt give a toss what you think'' :laugh:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by little_tom
Interviewer: It should be clear that you (german team) have to improve
Per: What do you want from me? So short after the game? I don't understand it
Interviewer: I just wanted to ask why the defense looked so shaky
Per: Do you believe it's a circus act in the round of 16 or what? They made it hard for us over 120 minutes and we won. It was an up and down but still you have to keep the 0 and we won in the end. Let's wait 3 days and analyse the game.
Interviewer: Do you hope for a wow effect like in 2010?
Per: What do you want? Do you want us to get knocked out again playing fancy football? I don't understand the whole questions, we advanced and are happy.

Sounds like he started getting angry for no reason. They do have to improve if they want to win the tournament. Players are often asked/told that after a game and don't take it so badly.
Original post by manchesterunited15
Sounds like he started getting angry for no reason. They do have to improve if they want to win the tournament. Players are often asked/told that after a game and don't take it so badly.

The tone was disrespectful, Per was standing there sweating minutes after winning a crucial game and the first question is demanding why they played so poorly, as if Algeria were a 'circus team' that you should beat 8-0. The public reaction has been overwhelmingly in support of his answers anyway :wink:

Of course they have to improve, Per alluded to as much but he meant that there was a time and a place for such questions. Journalists often take the piss like that.
Germany have been terrible this whole tournament and are boring to watch.

Just saw the stats and saw 70% possession to Germany, I sense pep ball came into play. **** life.

Will watch the game though.
Reply 9075
Original post by manchesterunited15

That wasn't the whole interview. He first said that for the moment, all that mattered to him was going through. The reporter laughed at that in his next question ("well surely this can't be the level you wanted to play to get to the quarters"), I think he got annoyed at that.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam278
Germany have been terrible this whole tournament and are boring to watch.

Just saw the stats and saw 70% possession to Germany, I sense pep ball came into play. **** life.

Will watch the game though.

Nah not really pep ball tbh
Giroud - Mertesacker battle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Webster2002
Giroud - Mertesacker battle.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mertesacker to win the battle.
Today's Giroud performance was typical of what we Arsenal fans have come to know. We must be ruthless in buying a top quality striker.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest