The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sr90
I think he's going to completely flop next season, this has Young/Downing written all over it. Give it 2 years and he'll be farmed out to someone like Sunderland or Stoke.

No it doesn't he couldn't be less of a similar player to young and downing. He's got great technique and decent off the ball movement as well as good work rate pretty ideal for liverpools system.
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Overrated you think?

Yes. He's good but not that good. When I look at this signing it just Deja Vu to me all over *cough Dalglish*. The price tag is just making me itch tbh, I wish him luck but I don't think he'll be all that. The price tag just makes me appreciate Wenger's ability in the market.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by baconbutty
No it doesn't he couldn't be less of a similar player to young and downing. He's got great technique and decent off the ball movement as well as good work rate pretty ideal for liverpools system.
I made a comparison to Young earlier today, I can't say with certainty but I think sr90 is making it in the same vein. Its not that they are the same type of player, its that they are mature experienced English players who are already playing at or close to their ceiling. If Lallana has hit his peak, then in his best ever season he will have been good enough for Liverpool's squad, but similar to Young and Downing, if he regresses pretty much at all he then becomes substandard for the level Liverpool require.

I think he'll be more of a success than those two, but I don't see him kicking it up a gear at Liverpool tbh.

I'm not comparing them as players, more the circumstances surrounding their transfers. One or two good seasons in an average team which is built around them, then as soon as they're a small fish in a big pond they completely flop. See Andy Carroll, Charlie Adam, Robbie Keane, Wilfred Zaha, Marouane Fellaini, Harry Kewell, Jack Rodwell... you get the point.
Original post by sr90
I'm not comparing them as players, more the circumstances surrounding their transfers. One or two good seasons in an average team which is built around them, then as soon as they're a small fish in a big pond they completely flop. See Andy Carroll, Charlie Adam, Robbie Keane, Wilfred Zaha, Marouane Fellaini, Harry Kewell, Jack Rodwell... you get the point.

He's better than pretty much all of those players you've mentioned that flopped. All I can see is him improving in liverpools attacking system. The team isn't built around him at Southampton as well he's given a free role but still has a high defensive work rate so will play pretty much the same at liverpool. Zaha, Rodwell and Carroll are young players that were a gamble. Adam was clearly never good enough for the level he was being asked to play at and Fellaini is playing out of position. Lallana is entering his peak and has been improving steadily for years he's not going to be the star of their team but I won't be surprised to see him get 12-15 goals next season
Original post by sr90
He'll be first choice at Hull, it's unlikely that would be the case at Inter. Especially when he has to learn a new language, adjust to a new culture etc. Given that the wages being offered will be very similar, can you really blame him?

Plus, his Dad hardly had the best time at Inter...

This essentially. I reckon he's getting paid more at Hull tbf. He wouldn't see anything more than 15k a week at Inter.

The competition/Culture probably scared him off aswell. There are hundreds of Serbs, Croats, Argentinians and Italians at Inter who came from nothing ready to do anything for a chance in the first team. Most have the same or greater talent as Ince tbh. Whereas Tom probably as that arrogant English attitude because he's had everything handed to him all the way from Under 9s football. Not to mention he's Dad rich and he's footballing background
Original post by Fizzel
I made a comparison to Young earlier today, I can't say with certainty but I think sr90 is making it in the same vein. Its not that they are the same type of player, its that they are mature experienced English players who are already playing at or close to their ceiling. If Lallana has hit his peak, then in his best ever season he will have been good enough for Liverpool's squad, but similar to Young and Downing, if he regresses pretty much at all he then becomes substandard for the level Liverpool require.

I think he'll be more of a success than those two, but I don't see him kicking it up a gear at Liverpool tbh.

The difference I see is young and downing are such one dimensional players and both lack any sort of determination. Lallana is a player who varies his play a lot more and isn't a typical English player. I also think he will have far more determination to succeed due to how hard he's worked in the various leagues to get where he is now
The difference I see is young and downing are such one dimensional players and both lack any sort of determination.
Lallana is a player who varies his play a lot more and isn't a typical English player. I also think he will have far more determination to succeed due to how hard he's worked in the various leagues to get where he is now
I'm not sure about this. Young for example, although now you can say he's one dimensional, at Villa he was pfa young player, pfa team of the season, vice captain, played much like Lallana a free role all across the front 3, had penalty taking and free kick duties. He wasn't one dimensional or lacking, or lacking in determination(Euro 2012 campaign).
He's better than pretty much all of those players you've mentioned that flopped. All I can see is him improving in liverpools attacking system. The team isn't built around him at Southampton as well he's given a free role but still has a high defensive work rate so will play pretty much the same at liverpool. Zaha, Rodwell and Carroll are young players that were a gamble. Adam was clearly never good enough for the level he was being asked to play at and Fellaini is playing out of position. Lallana is entering his peak and has been improving steadily for years he's not going to be the star of their team but I won't be surprised to see him get 12-15 goals next season

Harry Kewell from around 2000 would easily fetch £40m in todays market imho, what a player he was for Leeds back then! Lee Bowyer as well would be at least £30m thinking of it.

Wrt Lallana, they're saying that English players of that age moving to a big side off the back of a good season with a small club tend to struggle to meet their price-tag, and it's a fair observation.
Original post by Zürich
Harry Kewell from around 2000 would easily fetch £40m in todays market imho, what a player he was for Leeds back then! Lee Bowyer as well would be at least £30m thinking of it.

Kept Leeds up single handedly in 2003 as well. Every club in Europe wanted him that summer.
Original post by sr90
Kept Leeds up single handedly in 2003 as well. Every club in Europe wanted him that summer.

If memory serves me right, Barcelona once bid £15m or something for Ian Harte :K:
Reply 9131
Ian harte's penalties and frekicks were worth that 15m.

It's amazing how he failed in Spanish football.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That Leeds side was something else... sad the way they just dropped off. If I remember they even got to the Champions League Semi Finals, Mark Viduka though >>>>>>>>>>>

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Fizzel
I'm not sure about this. Young for example, although now you can say he's one dimensional, at Villa he was pfa young player, pfa team of the season, vice captain, played much like Lallana a free role all across the front 3, had penalty taking and free kick duties. He wasn't one dimensional or lacking, or lacking in determination(Euro 2012 campaign).

In fairness young was decent in 11/12 his failure is probably due to his lack of ambition. Every time I've seen him lately though he's been pretty one dimensional with cutting inside and swinging crosses in
In fairness young was decent in 11/12 his failure is probably due to his lack of ambition. Every time I've seen him lately though he's been pretty one dimensional with cutting inside and swinging crosses in
Again, I don't think its ambition. His career path isn't one of someone lacking ambition or determination, he was written off at Watford a struggling Championship team.

They didn't offer him a professional contract, so Ashley asked Watford if they would they let him come in and train on a full-time unpaid basis with the youth team from the start of the season until December, also playing for them. He did it for nothing and they then realised that he had developed into their best player at youth level and they offered him a professional contract.

He's just reverts to type when he struggles. Shoots less, interchanges less, and is more reluctant to use his weak foot.
Original post by Fizzel
Again, I don't think its ambition. His career path isn't one of someone lacking ambition or determination, he was written off at Watford a struggling Championship team.

He's just reverts to type when he struggles. Shoots less, interchanges less, and is more reluctant to use his weak foot.

I haven't watched enough of him compared to lallana Tbf so it's hard for me to give an opinion but I'm confident he's going to work well at Liverpool if he's given the chance. Maybe the overpriced English comments will spur him on but I can't imagine itll do wonders for his confidence that some people are writing him off before he's kicked a ball
What is your opinion on Debuchy?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dave143
Arsenal's opening bid for Sanchez was £19.4m according to reports.

LOLing, definitely not worried about you getting him.

I want to cry
Original post by qwerty_mad
What is your opinion on Debuchy?

Posted from TSR Mobile

He's better technically and has more quality in the final 3rd. Think he's short-term option for Jenkinson/Bellerin eventually.
(edited 9 years ago)
In other news, according to the standard, Jackson Martinez has stated

" “I know that there have been discussions, but still no agreements," said the forward who netted 46 goals for Porto in two seasons.

“My agent is taking care of my future, right now I’m at the World Cup and only after the World Cup I’ll evaluate proposals.

“As a child I cheered for Arsenal, they play a game that suits me. If I had the occasion to play there, I would say yes.”"

Spoiler

Would be an interesting buy. Not so sure about his 35m buyout clause (whether it's the right value I'm also not sure of)

I also read on our supposed £19m bid for Sanchez and I didn't know whether to laugh or just dismiss the source altogether because of how ridiculous the bid sounded, but apparently it's been reported that Sanchez has chosen Arsenal as his destination and wants to play under Wenger. Don't see as much truth into this statement either as I haven't seen Sanchez actually quote this yet so probably just paper gossip.

Spoiler

This is gonna be a long summer ffs

Latest