The Student Room Group

First year of A-levels complete, but I CHOSE THE WRONG ONES.

I do maths, geography, biology and psychology.

If I could rechoose, I'd definitely go for:

1. Maths.
2. English Literature.
3. History.
4. Either Philosophy, Religious Studies, Geography or a language (though I doubt I'd cope well with a language).

I'm literally so pissed off at myself for choosing what I chose, and I'm very annoyed at all the people who advised me to do what I did and didn't properly inform me of each course (though I'm partially responsible for this).

Going into A2 now and I can't decide what to drop out of psychology and biology, because I seriously hate them both (and they're taught very, very poorly).

I feel as though my chosen A-levels have restricted me in terms of potential future studies, they don't represent my personality well and it also means I can't learn about what I want to learn about.

Raging right now, don't know who to blame so I'm just hating on my past self.
Just want to hug you, I did the same thing!
Reply 2
resit the year. and choose your desired subjects
I finished my A levels two years ago and still wish I could go back and choose different ones. I am now studying a subject at university which I had never even encountered previously to that, so it isn't the be all and end all.
Reply 4
Original post by Qari
resit the year. and choose your desired subjects

I'd feel too intimidated being in classes with people I don't know. Tbh nearly everything wrong with my life is due to being scared of it all
Reply 5
Original post by Dani California
Just want to hug you, I did the same thing!

:hugs:
Reply 6
I know a girl at college who just finished Year 13, but she wasn't happy with any of her Year 12 subjects so she did AS and A2 Physics and Chemistry all during Year 13. You'd have to be really focused and dedicated if you wanted to do this and I'm not even sure if all colleges will let you do this, since I only know one person who's done it. Sixth forms are probably more strict on stuff like this.
Reply 7
What do you want to do at uni?
Reply 8
Original post by Qeir
What do you want to do at uni?

I'll be honest, I really have no idea. I know that A-levels don't necessarily have to be strongly related to the choice of degree, but it sure helps. And because I don't have a passion for the subjects I'm currently doing, I don't expect anything more than a C (which is well below what I'm capable of). I just got lazy and didn't bother trying hard because I didn't see much reason to (foolish, I know), and now I have to live with it.
Original post by louieee
I'll be honest, I really have no idea. I know that A-levels don't necessarily have to be strongly related to the choice of degree, but it sure helps. And because I don't have a passion for the subjects I'm currently doing, I don't expect anything more than a C (which is well below what I'm capable of). I just got lazy and didn't bother trying hard because I didn't see much reason to (foolish, I know), and now I have to live with it.

Start by answering that question, then you'll know what A-levels you need.
Original post by louieee

1. Maths.
2. English Literature.
3. History.
4. Either Philosophy, Religious Studies, Geography or a language (though I doubt I'd cope well with a language).

I'm literally so pissed off at myself for choosing what I chose, and I'm very annoyed at all the people who advised me to do what I did and didn't properly inform me of each course (though I'm partially responsible for this).

Going into A2 now and I can't decide what to drop out of psychology and biology, because I seriously hate them both (and they're taught very, very poorly).

I feel as though my chosen A-levels have restricted me in terms of potential future studies, they don't represent my personality well and it also means I can't learn about what I want to learn about.

If you seriously hate the subjects that much definitely retake the year. A2 only gets harder and if you aren't motivated you may not be able to get the grades to get into uni. Take it from someone who just finished A2 and wishes they'd resat their AS year.

It's honestly not the end of the world to resit a year, at least that way you'll be studying subjects you enjoy and hopefully get good grades and then get into a decent uni to study a course you'll love.

PM me if you wanna talk about it. :smile:
Reply 11
Ah okay. Well lets see...

1) Redo year 12. You might not like this one, but it will allow you to do your desired subjects, and also give you some time to think about what you want to do at uni.
2) Carry on to year 13, dropping one of biology & psychology. However this would mean applying for uni this year, and you have no idea what you want to do. Also grades/lack of motivation might be an issue.
3) Carry on to year 13, dropping both and do the whole history/english A-level in one year. This might not be possible so ask you college/sixth form.
4) Carry on to year 13, drop both subjects. Carry on with maths and geography, seeing as you do not have an issue with them. Pick up AS english, history and RS/philosophy/language if you can handle it. Take a gap year and study for the remaining A2 exams.
This one is basically no. 1) in reverse. I include it because it might be less intimidating than being in a class of lower years. You'll also have time to think about what you want to do at uni.
5) Drop out? :dontknow:

Obviously there are many options. Let me know what you decide!
Original post by louieee

1. Maths.
2. English Literature.
3. History.

I am not an A level student but know how you feel as i picked the wrong GCSE subjects and now regretting as i got adviced not to pick one. Oh well that was the past....good luck:smile:
You shopuld look at this thread: Retaking year 12 with new subjects?
Reply 13
Original post by Qeir
Ah okay. Well lets see...

1) Redo year 12. You might not like this one, but it will allow you to do your desired subjects, and also give you some time to think about what you want to do at uni.
2) Carry on to year 13, dropping one of biology & psychology. However this would mean applying for uni this year, and you have no idea what you want to do. Also grades/lack of motivation might be an issue.
3) Carry on to year 13, dropping both and do the whole history/english A-level in one year. This might not be possible so ask you college/sixth form.
4) Carry on to year 13, drop both subjects. Carry on with maths and geography, seeing as you do not have an issue with them. Pick up AS english, history and RS/philosophy/language if you can handle it. Take a gap year and study for the remaining A2 exams.
This one is basically no. 1) in reverse. I include it because it might be less intimidating than being in a class of lower years. You'll also have time to think about what you want to do at uni.
5) Drop out? :dontknow:

Obviously there are many options. Let me know what you decide!

I like number 4 quite a bit, but wouldn't that still require me to be with the lower year for english and history? I know it sounds petty but I'm very socially inept and I can barely cope with school now despite knowing people for years :tongue:
Reply 14
Original post by louieee
I like number 4 quite a bit, but wouldn't that still require me to be with the lower year for english and history? I know it sounds petty but I'm very socially inept and I can barely cope with school now despite knowing people for years :tongue:

Not necessarily. It could be possible to self teach if you are motivated enough, and if you need help then see a teacher after school/when they are free. You could even get a tutor if you can afford one. And since you should have a lot of free time you can get a job and save up, find work experience and decide what you really want to do at uni!

It's not petty, I am quite like that too. :^_^:
Reply 15
Original post by Qeir
Not necessarily. It could be possible to self teach if you are motivated enough, and if you need help then see a teacher after school/when they are free. You could even get a tutor if you can afford one. And since you should have a lot of free time you can get a job and save up, find work experience and decide what you really want to do at uni!

It's not petty, I am quite like that too. :^_^:

sighhh, I wish I'd let myself do that but I'm just gonna continue with maths, geography and biology now. At least these three seem like a good combination, if nothing else. Thanks though :3
Reply 16
Original post by louieee
sighhh, I wish I'd let myself do that but I'm just gonna continue with maths, geography and biology now. At least these three seem like a good combination, if nothing else. Thanks though :3

No problem! At the end of the day it's up to you. If you need any more help feel free to PM me :h:
Original post by Petulia
I know a girl at college who just finished Year 13, but she wasn't happy with any of her Year 12 subjects so she did AS and A2 Physics and Chemistry all during Year 13. You'd have to be really focused and dedicated if you wanted to do this and I'm not even sure if all colleges will let you do this, since I only know one person who's done it. Sixth forms are probably more strict on stuff like this.

What grade did she get for Physics and Chemistry?

I might do it in Economics but not sure if they will let me, need to speak to them.
Hello, I know this post is quite a while ago but if possible, I want to know how you’re doing now because I’m experiencing the same thing and I feel anxious because I don’t know what to do next.
(edited 4 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending