The Student Room Group

What sort of rent is a reasonable amount to pay parents?

What sort of amount of rent is reasonable to pay my parents for still being at home?
I have a 10 week summer job before uni, earning £240 a week :smile: and my parents pay for food,electricity, etc as well as some of dentists bills.
Reply 1
You owe them everything you have...

Give them nothing.
Why not ask them how much they would want? Don't just ask how much they would like, tell them you would like to contribute towards paying for the house and then ask how much they would feel to be reasonable.
Nothing, I have a summer job and I'm not expected to contribute.
Nothing. They're your parents not your landlords. If they have no real NEED for the money, they're only damaging you by taking what little cash you have. And quite frankly if they're trying to get their talons into a ten-week summer job before uni when you'll need the money most they're terrible parents.
I disagree with the above. I'd say about £50-60 a week.
Reply 6
If your parents are wealthy, you're just giving them money which will be surplus to them (unless they have some SERIOUS spending plans), and will then be eaten up in inheritance tax.
Nothing if your going away to university because you'll need all the money they can get. Paying them rent now means they will only have to give that money back to you once you go to uni unless they earn below £25,000.
Reply 8
My parents charged me 40 when working full time but 25 now, I just give them it from my student loan payment.
Original post by jelly1000
Nothing if your going away to university because you'll need all the money they can get. Paying them rent now means they will only have to give that money back to you once you go to uni unless they earn below £25,000.

They don't have to.
Depends entirely on circumstance, it's probably not worth listening to what people on here pay, because they have their own circumstances. You'll have everything from comfortable kids who think their parents ought to pay them for living at home, and the other end of the scale you'll find a few from struggling families who pay most of their earnings to keep the house going with food and rent. Most people will be somewhere in between, I'd suggest you do what works in your own situation.
Original post by Acorns1
What sort of amount of rent is reasonable to pay my parents for still being at home?
I have a 10 week summer job before uni, earning £240 a week :smile: and my parents pay for food,electricity, etc as well as some of dentists bills.

My son who has a full time job and has moved back home for 6 months pays £10 a day with a rebate if he eats elsewhere

My daughter who is home from university and has a summer job pays nothing
It is entirely circumstantial. If you feel like you should contribute then ask them how much they think is fair, they may not agree that you should pay them any! Yet don't feel like you have to pay them, as if you use the money from your summer job sensibly you may be able to make that last a lot longer which would benefit you more.

Speak to your parents and see what they say.

Ed
Reply 13
Are they going to be giving money to you when you go to uni? In effect, will they just be saving it on your behalf?

Posted from TSR Mobile
My parents expect me to help them over the summer. But I doubt it will happen this summer as am only home for five weeks out of the ten weeks that am off for summer break.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending