The Student Room Group

Ask an A level student.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Perky Kangaroo
On the whole, how was your experience at college and was it what you had expected?

On the whole my experience was fantastic.

When I originally went into the Sixth Form I thought it would be gruelling. There is a known revelation amongst students who have just completed GCSEs. The realisation they have been in education for most of their lives and that another two years of intense work will surely be the nail in the coffin.

The element of work was true in this sense. More so for be because I prioritised work. At times it was stressful, but that was the largest negative extent to my experience.

In reality Sixth Form was great, two years with your friends having fun, friendly staff and the added responsibility of being in control of your future, actually taking the first step to choose your path in life without any external influence.

I didn't expect to have such a fulfilling time now that I look back. The only negatives are in a sense taking the road less travelled by, leaving your friends as everyone heads off in different directions.

It's exciting and terrifying. But I loved it, yeah :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Acidy
Firstly take into account what interests you and what you think you will be happy to study for up to two years. This is even more significant to your situation being an independent student, it will be tough at times and you will need to motive yourself.

Comparatively the Most prestigious qualification is English Literature if that's what you're looking for.

Less prestigious but still regarded is Language.

The former also applies to Lit+lang.

From what I've gathered from friends who studied Language for A level it is very straightforward and and would be much easier in guaranteeing a higher grade compared to Literature, so I agree with how you mentioned you would find it easier.

It also depends on what you're looking for. History and English are two completely distinct subjects, so there will be no content over lap. However the skills acquired especially in Essay writing, developing analysis and thinking critically will reinforce the skills needed to succeed regardless of whether you take Literature or Language. Have you taken a look at the syllabus? If not, make sure to take a look make sure you know what you're in for so there's no unwanted surprise.

Unfortunately I'm away for the most of the summer- it's therefore unlikely I'll be able to teach your brother. Perhaps in September I would be able to find some time. There are excellent resources he could use granted internet access is given. Duolingo for instance is fantastic and free.

Hope this helps.

It will only be for one year. I am usually quite motivated. Being an independent student will improve my motivation I'm sure.

Yes I would get a higher grade in English Language. That is my dilemma. I realise History and English are distinct subjects, and have no subject content overlap, and as you suggest it is the skills acquired I am focused on. I want something as compatible to History as possible, in terms of essay writing, thinking critically, analysis etc, whilst also being a respected and rigorous qualification.

I have looked at the syllabus for all 3 qualifications I mentioned. I still can't decide between them, though indeed English Language is more straight forward.

My brother used online resources and forums. He used to text in German, using a translator. He wanted to do German at school, but they withdrew the subject at GCSE due to lack of students and then he couldn't do the A-level. He wants to complete the A-level. If you could help at any point, that would be much appreciated.
Reply 22
Original post by KH94
It will only be for one year. I am usually quite motivated. Being an independent student will improve my motivation I'm sure.

Yes I would get a higher grade in English Language. That is my dilemma. I realise History and English are distinct subjects, and have no subject content overlap, and as you suggest it is the skills acquired I am focused on. I want something as compatible to History as possible, in terms of essay writing, thinking critically, analysis etc, whilst also being a respected and rigorous qualification.

I have looked at the syllabus for all 3 qualifications I mentioned. I still can't decide between them, though indeed English Language is more straight forward.

My brother used online resources and forums. He used to text in German, using a translator. He wanted to do German at school, but they withdrew the subject at GCSE due to lack of students and then he couldn't do the A-level. He wants to complete the A-level. If you could help at any point, that would be much appreciated.

Based on what you are saying it is in my opinion English Literature would be the best option for you.

I'm sorry to hear. Would your brother not be able to take it privately through an evening class? If finance is a problem I'm sure there is support you can receive. Let me know.
What did you get in your AS exams? and A2 German? Also, I hope to get A*'s in my A-Levels, do you have any advice? Like I've heard the common ones 'try' 'enjoy it' 'balance with social life' 'be organised'. Do you have any other advice?
Reply 24
What modules did you do for A2 Economics?

Ive currently finished doing AS Economics, not sure whether to continue it onto A2
Reply 25
Original post by Acidy
Based on what you are saying it is in my opinion English Literature would be the best option for you.

I'm sorry to hear. Would your brother not be able to take it privately through an evening class? If finance is a problem I'm sure there is support you can receive. Let me know.

Thanks. Why do you think English Literature? Will this give me the skills I need? Of course you already said it is a more respected qualification. I am not 100% what course to do at university. I have narrowed my course choices to 2 subject areas. I have also narrowed down my career choices to 2.

What do you think of my A-level/AS level subject choices overall?

Thanks. It is a shame when some students miss out on taking their favourite subject/s. I will see what he says.

Could I possibly ask, what grades did you get in your GCSEs?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by beyknowles
What did you get in your AS exams? and A2 German? Also, I hope to get A*'s in my A-Levels, do you have any advice? Like I've heard the common ones 'try' 'enjoy it' 'balance with social life' 'be organised'. Do you have any other advice?

Respectively As in Economics, English Lit., History and Mathematics.
Additionally I took A2 German in y12 achieving an A* overall.

The 'common ones' as you mention have some truth, but they do not take into account the individual circumstances of the student which is what I try to do when giving a response.

I gave some advice on the first page to another user if you haven't already seen it, that may be of some use to check it out. Apart from my previous allusions I can only stress the importance of working hard and becoming self-reliant. Most students will wait for their teachers to take the initiative, expect them to get them a high grade yet with minimal effort on their own part. If you become self-reliant, don't procrastinate, make illogical excuses to avoid working and get on with it I can assure you of 3 things:

1. You will do well - the extent to this relative to your own personal ambition/standard and how hard you work.

2. You will realise AS isn't that complicated.

3. You will be in a better position then most A level students.

This is the only way. I can give you no short term solution for a long term problem if that's what you're looking for.

I hope to some extent this answers your question.
Reply 27
Original post by umieee
What modules did you do for A2 Economics?

Ive currently finished doing AS Economics, not sure whether to continue it onto A2

Hey.

My School's board was AQA and we took modules in Business and Global Economics whether these were compulsory I am unaware of as flicking through the website I see no mention of other modules.

You might want to consider your own interest in carrying on. Economics is a vast social science containing aspects of both the sciences and humanities which spices the experience along as you approach the end of A2. This may be hard to answer as I do not know what board you are taking. If AQA then A2 assessments will focus on essay writing and your ability to solve to a higher standard issues facing society such as Market Failure, poverty, etc. With this said Economics is a highly regarded subject, it's unlikely universities will specify that it is compulsory for degrees but it is always listed as 'highly desirable' as well as a facilitating subject according to Trinity College, Cambridge.

I can only respond to the information you give me. As you have not specified what others subjects you take, university intent or whether you enjoy the subject I have only been able to respond accordingly to limited info.

Hope this answers your question.
Reply 28
I think you should speak to your teachers and ask how lenient they are with grades. The subjects you mentioned are very different to philosophy and Psychology. History is always good to take but if you're not interested in it you will definitely struggle. As I said, speak to your teachers.
Reply 29
Original post by KH94
Thanks. Why do you think English Literature? Will this give me the skills I need? Of course you already said it is a more respected qualification. I am not 100% what course to do at university. I have narrowed my course choices to 2 subject areas. I have also narrowed down my career choices to 2.

What do you think of my A-level/AS level subject choices overall?

Thanks. It is a shame when some students miss out on taking their favourite subject/s. I will see what he says.

Could I possibly ask, what grades did you get in your GCSEs?

English Literature is a facilitating subject and presuming you do well, will allow you to develop these skills to a good degree.

- It is one of the most respected A levels.

- I can't really help you with choosing your university course, only you can do that. I would suggest as previously mentioned to develop your interests, attend university fairs held by UCAS and apply for work experience.

- I think you have a great selection of facilitating subjects.

- It is a shame indeed. When interest is met with rejection only your school/government is to blame for not providing the adequate resources.

- I achieved 7A* 1A and 2B
Reply 30
Original post by Acidy
English Literature is a facilitating subject and presuming you do well, will allow you to develop these skills to a good degree.

- It is one of the most respected A levels.

- I can't really help you with choosing your university course, only you can do that. I would suggest as previously mentioned to develop your interests, attend university fairs held by UCAS and apply for work experience.

- I think you have a great selection of facilitating subjects.

- It is a shame indeed. When interest is met with rejection only your school/government is to blame for not providing the adequate resources.

- I achieved 7A* 1A and 2B

Yes, it is a respected A-level. I am pleased it will help me develop the required skills.

For university it depends which route I go down really. History, English Literature and Economics are complimentary yet distinct subjects in their own right. I am sure I will be able to do well in all of those subjects.

Yes, schools should meet the interests of their students. It is crazy that at A-level they would run the course with only 1 student, but for GCSE they needed 12 and had only 5 when my brother wanted to study it. Without the GCSE you can't do the A-level.

In which subjects did you get A*s at GCSE?

Thanks.
Reply 31
Original post by KH94
Yes, it is a respected A-level. I am pleased it will help me develop the required skills.

For university it depends which route I go down really. History, English Literature and Economics are complimentary yet distinct subjects in their own right. I am sure I will be able to do well in all of those subjects.

Yes, schools should meet the interests of their students. It is crazy that at A-level they would run the course with only 1 student, but for GCSE they needed 12 and had only 5 when my brother wanted to study it. Without the GCSE you can't do the A-level.

In which subjects did you get A*s at GCSE?

Thanks.

Be wary if you want to pursue a degree in Economics it's very likely you'll be asked for Mathematics at an A level standard.

In no particular order: Lit, Lang, Maths 1, Maths 2, Bio, German and Chem.
Reply 32
Original post by Acidy
Be wary if you want to pursue a degree in Economics it's very likely you'll be asked for Mathematics at an A level standard.

In no particular order: Lit, Lang, Maths 1, Maths 2, Bio, Chem and German.

Are you applying for Economics at university?

I am not considering an Economics degree. I am just taking the AS because I want to learn more about Economics and it is complimentary to History, and my BTEC Level 3 in Travel and Tourism. Work placements is something I am looking into - I meant to say that before.

That is a good set of subjects. No, actually it is an outstanding set of subjects. Wow.
Reply 33
Original post by KH94
Are you applying for Economics at university?

I am not considering an Economics degree. I am just taking the AS because I want to learn more about Economics and it is complimentary to History, and my BTEC Level 3 in Travel and Tourism. Work placements is something I am looking into - I meant to say that before.

That is a good set of subjects. No, actually it is an outstanding set of subjects. Wow.

No aha I'm applying for Law.

And thanks a bunch :-)
Reply 34
Original post by Acidy
No aha I'm applying for Law.

And thanks a bunch :-)

Cool.

You have the best subjects possible at A*.

I am considering taking a GCSE in a Science subject. At school I passed the OCR Level 2 National Certificate in Science (aka the least recognised science qualification on the planet). I think it is important to have a proper GCSE in a Science subject. Maybe you could help me?
Reply 35
Original post by KH94
Cool.

You have the best subjects possible at A*.

I am considering taking a GCSE in a Science subject. At school I passed the OCR Level 2 National Certificate in Science (aka the least recognised science qualification on the planet). I think it is important to have a proper GCSE in a Science subject. Maybe you could help me?

How would you like me to help?

You're safe with BTECs for GCSEs and they are recognised by all universities. It's only Level 3 (I think) BTECs that limit courses/universities you're able to apply to as some R.G universities prefer the preparation A levels give you. Unless you're set on going into a degree in science which you're not, it's probably best to stay focused on your A levels.

If it's important to you then self teach them. Buy a text book specification and revise and that should be enough, although admittedly I'm not sure how you do practicals if you self teach. It's something to check up on, I'm sure.
Reply 36
Original post by Acidy
How would you like me to help?

You're safe with BTECs for GCSEs and they are recognised by all universities. It's only Level 3 (I think) BTECs that limit courses/universities you're able to apply to as some R.G universities prefer the preparation A levels give you. Unless you're set on going into a degree in science which you're not, it's probably best to stay focused on your A levels.

If it's important to you then self teach them. Buy a text book specification and revise and that should be enough, although admittedly I'm not sure how you do practicals if you self teach. It's something to check up on, I'm sure.

My Science isn't BTEC which is why it isn't recognised, by universities, colleges, employers or in fact anyone! I do have 2 BTECs, ICT and Retail.

I need a GCSE in a science subject as this is more recognised, and necessary if I decide to go into primary school teaching. Better to do it now rather than later. I need as many National Curriculum subjects as possible at GCSE for primary school teaching, and so I may self-teach Geography and Religious Studies (Short Course). My local college offers GCSE Biology 1 day a week, so I wouldn't need to self teach. I thought as you have an A* maybe you could help.

My A-levels will be my main focus, of course. But I need to do all I can to strengthen my CV for the future.

Thanks.
Reply 37
Original post by KH94
My Science isn't BTEC which is why it isn't recognised, by universities, colleges, employers or in fact anyone! I do have 2 BTECs, ICT and Retail.

I need a GCSE in a science subject as this is more recognised, and necessary if I decide to go into primary school teaching. Better to do it now rather than later. I need as many National Curriculum subjects as possible at GCSE for primary school teaching, and so I may self-teach Geography and Religious Studies (Short Course). My local college offers GCSE Biology 1 day a week, so I wouldn't need to self teach. I thought as you have an A* maybe you could help.

My A-levels will be my main focus, of course. But I need to do all I can to strengthen my CV for the future.

Thanks.

I agree and I'd also be glad to help.
Reply 38
Original post by Acidy
I agree and I'd also be glad to help.

Thanks. I would like a Grade C or above for Biology. I would also like a C or above in Geography and Religious Studies Short Course. It will be good to get extra GCSEs and broaden my knowledge.
I am about to go into sixth form college and out of the 4 AS cources i have chosen for the first year the only one im worried about is maths. Is it hard? What would you suggest so i can get the best out of the course? Im really nervous about it :frown:

Quick Reply