The Student Room Group

English Lit & Creative Writing BA- a good degree?

Hi,
I would really like to study English Lit & Creative Writing, but have been told that doing a course with 'Creative Writing' in the title doesn't look good to employers. I am looking towards a career in publishing/journalism, and hopefully becoming a published author/screenwriter some day. I wondered whether I'm making the right decision going for this- does anyone here do creative writing as part of their degree and if so what is it like? I have heard mixed reviews about studying it as a subject. What are people's opinions on this?
-Thanks for reading :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by frizzydinks
Hi,
I would really like to study English Lit & Creative Writing, but have been told that doing a course with 'Creative Writing' in the title doesn't look good to employers. I am looking towards a career in publishing/journalism, and hopefully becoming a published author/screenwriter some day. I wondered whether I'm making the right decision going for this- does anyone here do creative writing as part of their degree and if so what is it like? I have heard mixed reviews about studying it as a subject. What are people's opinions on this?
-Thanks for reading :smile:

Hi,
I'm doing a course in eng lit and creative writing at the University of Reading, with creative writing as a minor. I've been told by the uni I am allowed to not mention minoring in CW, as I've majored in Literature, and this won't bother potential employers. I think it will be beneficial to you, however, to mention as you want to go into publishing and/or journalism, as it shows you understand the structure of creative texts :smile:
If you're in doubt, it's best to do English Literature.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you did just straight English lit, there's a good chance you'll get the opportunity to do modules in creative writing anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending