The Student Room Group

MEng at current Uni or MSc at "higher" Uni?

I am currently studying towards a BEng in Electrical & Electronic Engineering at Teesside University and have just received an offer, after my second year, to move up to the MEng. I just scraped 70% this year and know I could have done a lot better but I didn't have a great attitude towards my work really until final exam period, which meant having to basically learn lots of things for the first time weeks before exams.

I have since learned from my mistakes and think next year I will be capable of a minimum of a first (at least I hope).

My question is: Is it better to study an MEng at Teesside or get a BEng then move to a more reputable Uni to do an MSc?

edit: The moment I submitted this, my course leader replied to my 4 day old email saying that I can move to MEng and decide next year if I want to just take the BEng and leave. I guess it's a no brainer to move to MEng now but I would still like to know what you guys think for next year. Thanks!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by James6394

My question is: Is it better to study an MEng at Teesside or get a BEng then move to a more reputable Uni to do an MSc?

Check out the finances. Moving to the MEng will be covered by the Student Loans system, provided you haven't already had an extra year. Whereas graduating with a BEng and then moving to an MSc, you will have to fund the MSc yourself unless you get a scholarship etc.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
Check out the finances. Moving to the MEng will be covered by the Student Loans system, provided you haven't already had an extra year. Whereas graduating with a BEng and then moving to an MSc, you will have to fund the MSc yourself unless you get a scholarship etc.

Ah yes, I am aware of this and would happily fund myself if it meant much better opportunities. I just don't know how much difference it will make graduating at a lesser university.
Reply 3
The course I've just finished didn't have an integrated Master's route but I have graduated from an ex-poly and will begin my MSc at a Russell Group uni in September.

Reading your previous post regarding funding, it would seem a shame if you didn't look to apply yourself at a higher level! I'm sure many employer's would see it as a positive that you studied at a different university for postgraduate than sticking to what you know.
Look at suitable MSc degrees and their prices, then decide whether the extra cost you will incur from the MSc will be worth it.

For the record, I don't think it's worth it purely on the basis of moving up to a better university, especially if you go onto something as generic as at undergraduate level; but, if you want to move into something specific, perhaps a little niche even, then doing an MSc is worthwhile.
Reply 5
Thanks for the replies, guys. I have enrolled on the MEng course now and will see how I do on my third year. If I manage to get a first, then I think I will look at doing an MSc instead.
My husband was in the same position as you (BSc instead of BEng though) and he did the MEng year. Apparently the company viewed it favourably. It's also good as it's covered by student finance. Just make sure it's an accredited MEng degree.

Oh he also didn't go to a RG uni.
Some small unis have great connections to the industry so wait until you have a better idea where you want to end up and then you can decide which way suits you more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending