The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by baconbutty
The high line was played because we had absolutely no pace in the team in attack.

We could of either camped in our own half and parked the bus or do what wenger did and push every player up the pitch and try to control the games at Stamford bridge, anfield, goodison etc this was an absolutely awful idea because at the bridge and goodison we had an injury crisis so we were trying to control their game in their half with a make-shift team and got battered. If we'd parked the bus vs Liverpool we'd have lost anyway IMO just not 5-1 but against chelsea and Everton we made of had a more respectable score line

The problem with it was that any ball we lost in midfield teams were running straight at our backline. It was worst in the chelsea game they were constantly breaking with 3on2s

The Liverpool game was just awful set piece defending. Ozil giving his typical big game performance and also coutinho was great imo

Well no... you, like the other guy, suggest that you can only either park the bus, or go all out attacking in football. That's clearly not the case.

In any case parking the bus would have been a better tactic away from home than suicidally trying to control the game. Wenger didn't learn from his mistakes.
Original post by Terry McDermott
Well no... you, like the other guy, suggest that you can only either park the bus, or go all out attacking in football. That's clearly not the case.

In any case parking the bus would have been a better tactic away from home than suicidally trying to control the game. Wenger didn't learn from his mistakes.

what other tactic were we supposed to use? we had no threat to get in behind so it was either we push up or the other team would push up and have us camped in our own half aka parking the bus
I have been supporting Jack Wilshire since he was 16 but that is it, I want this boy out of our club! He is giving this great club a bad name:angry:
Original post by LostGear
I have been supporting Jack Wilshire since he was 16 but that is it, I want this boy out of our club! He is giving this great club a bad name:angry:

Zidane smoked. Messi has been pictured with a cigarette. I really don't think it matters, let the guy live. So long as he's not chain smoking a few packs a day I don't see what the problem is in terms of impacting his performance. Not a good habit of course, especially as he has kids.

If Wilshere doesn't reach his potential it will be because of injuries or poor attitude, not smoking.
what other tactic were we supposed to use? we had no threat to get in behind so it was either we push up or the other team would push up and have us camped in our own half aka parking the bus

Should I just copy and paste my post from above?

Football isn't a game of two extremes (parking the bus or pushing up suicidally). Pushing up doesn't mean that your fullbacks are camped on the Chelsea and Liverpool bylines and sitting deeper in your own half doesn't mean parking the bus like Mourinho at Old Trafford. There's happy, successful mediums in between.

The original point was relating to Khedira possibly working better defensively in a high line, and that's just been lost by Arsenal fans dismayed that I could suggest that Wenger (repeatedly and unforgivably) got it wrong. Had this debate before, cba to have it again.
Original post by Terry McDermott
Should I just copy and paste my post from above?

Football isn't a game of two extremes (parking the bus or pushing up suicidally). Pushing up doesn't mean that your fullbacks are camped on the Chelsea and Liverpool bylines and sitting deeper in your own half doesn't mean parking the bus like Mourinho at Old Trafford. There's happy, successful mediums in between.

The original point was relating to Khedira possibly working better defensively in a high line, and that's just been lost by Arsenal fans dismayed that I could suggest that Wenger (repeatedly and unforgivably) got it wrong. Had this debate before, cba to have it again.

everyone knows he got it wrong

the full backs had to push up we had absolutely no width

i'm interested to know how you think we should of played because with the players at our disposal on the day i could only of seen us parking the bus which we would of struggled anyway because we couldnt keep possession well enough if we did get the ball with a flamini/arteta/ox midfield or push up like we did and get caught on the counter.
Original post by EmperorMustard
Zidane smoked. Messi has been pictured with a cigarette. I really don't think it matters, let the guy live. So long as he's not chain smoking a few packs a day I don't see what the problem is in terms of impacting his performance. Not a good habit of course, especially as he has kids.

If Wilshere doesn't reach his potential it will be because of injuries or poor attitude, not smoking.

I agree to an extent, but Wilshere looks in danger of throwing away his potential, which Zidane and Messi never did. Also, if you look at the surroundings in which Wilshere was seen smoking, it suggests he is interested in the fame and money, but not the hard work that it should take to earn these things.
Imo make or break season for Wilshere. Would be sad to see him not live up to his potential as future Mr.Arsenal, would be even more painful to see him live up to his potential at another english club.

Needs to adapt his game. A year or so ago i said wilshere is not as good a passer as Ramsey, even before his great season. I still stand by the statement. Wilshere is too one dimensional for my liking. Just grabs the ball and looks to drive, gets fouled, complains, rinse and repeat. He needs to develop his vision and stop being such a cry baby.
I honestly don't care what Jack does but If I was him I'd be seriously worried, Ramsey has surpassed Jack and Arsenal are about to sign another quality midfielder who can perform the B2B & DM role. I would have cut my holiday short and got back to the first of preseason training sessions to try and stake a claim to first team football. Jack doesn't even get into the Arsenal first 11 right now. If a world class player like Khedira comes in comes who knows if he'll even get a sniff
Apparently Fabregas recommended Sanchez to join Arsenal over Liverpool and Juve.
Ramsey was always better than Jack :colone:

(come at me)
everyone knows he got it wrong

the full backs had to push up we had absolutely no width

i'm interested to know how you think we should of played because with the players at our disposal on the day i could only of seen us parking the bus which we would of struggled anyway because we couldnt keep possession well enough if we did get the ball with a flamini/arteta/ox midfield or push up like we did and get caught on the counter.

You were probably better off playing 4-3-3, getting extra protection in the midfield and staying solid Arteta would then be able to drop deep as a 3rd CB while Oxlade Chamberlain and Flamini push up, with Ox doing the ramsey role and Flamini acting as the ball winner, Podolski should have started some more of these big games as he's direct and Cazorla/Ozil play on the right wing as you'd struggle to create much chances without any of those two on the pitch. Probably use Cazorla so he can whip in some early crosses into Giroud.

It wouldn't be the most pleasing football, but would have prevented an embarrassment away from home.
Original post by Anonymous Coward
The loyalty of Van Persie :moon:
Original post by pane123
I agree to an extent, but Wilshere looks in danger of throwing away his potential, which Zidane and Messi never did. Also, if you look at the surroundings in which Wilshere was seen smoking, it suggests he is interested in the fame and money, but not the hard work that it should take to earn these things.

He's on holiday, why shouldn't he enjoy the fame and money? It's not like it's the middle of the season.
Original post by Nickini

Yeah.. That one's a little odd. But I didn't make it. So oh well.
Original post by Nickini

"Good looks: Cazorla" is also lolworthy.
Edit: Kinda lold at the Left shin of Eduardo aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by CB91
"Good looks: Cazorla" is also lolworthy.
Edit: Kinda lold at the Left shin of Eduardo aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's got to be a joke surely... The Englishness of Ramsey? The experience of Jenkinson, The hands of Henry? :lol:
... it's an obvious pisstake/wind up?

international experience: Arteta, LOOOOOOOOL
Original post by jam278
You were probably better off playing 4-3-3, getting extra protection in the midfield and staying solid Arteta would then be able to drop deep as a 3rd CB while Oxlade Chamberlain and Flamini push up, with Ox doing the ramsey role and Flamini acting as the ball winner, Podolski should have started some more of these big games as he's direct and Cazorla/Ozil play on the right wing as you'd struggle to create much chances without any of those two on the pitch. Probably use Cazorla so he can whip in some early crosses into Giroud.

It wouldn't be the most pleasing football, but would have prevented an embarrassment away from home.

In fairness I've just rewatched the goals and it's probably as simple as playing gnabry over cazorla (far better work rate and natural width) and telling the fullbacks to sit deeper.

It's hard to account for some of the stupidity of ox and cazorla in that game but ox had some really good performances there prior to the game so it's hard to blame wenger for that selection in particular.

Cazorla made the exact same mistake at least 3 times I can remember last season resulting in goals

Chelsea were extremely clinical though so if you repeated the game even in the exact same setup it's unlikely ud see that scoreline

It's remarkable how professional footballers can show so little tactical intelligence.

Latest