The Student Room Group

Do universities look down on Decision Maths?

Just deciding which AS Further Maths modules to take and not sure whether to do D1 or wait and do M2 (after I've done M1 as part of normal A2 Maths)

I've heard that D1 is an "easy" module compared to the other ones?
Original post by lightningdoritos
Just deciding which AS Further Maths modules to take and not sure whether to do D1 or wait and do M2 (after I've done M1 as part of normal A2 Maths)

Yes this has been confirmed to be true source:https://alevelcontent.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/alcab-report-on-mathematics-and-further-mathematics-july-2014.pdf

Decision Maths will be removed from A-Level Maths although it may be restructured to create rigorous Further Maths A Level content apparently but the decision to remove decision was made after it was decided it was too easy.It shouldn't matter that much generally universities just care about the grades but generally Pure first Mechanics next then Statistics and then Decision(in order of most respected).
Although there is the option on your UCAS form, you don't have to tell them which modules you did. I didn't put down my modules and I got offers from all 5 unis.
Reply 3

Unis you apply to won't know you chose D1 over M2 i.e. for all unis know your school might not offer M2, D1 might be compulsory, so don't worry too much about what unis think
You don't have to put down your modules on the UCAS form anyway (I left mine blank for maths modules as I was still undecided which to do)

D1 is very easy, but what do you want to do at uni? If it's maths/physics/engineering/chemistry then M2 may be more useful. If it's medicine (or anything else), choose what you will find easiest to get an A in. If you do A level physics, the overlap with mechanics may make M2 a good choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Claree
Unis you apply to won't know you chose D1 over M2 i.e. for all unis know your school might not offer M2, D1 might be compulsory, so don't worry too much about what unis think
You don't have to put down your modules on the UCAS form anyway (I left mine blank for maths modules as I was still undecided which to do)

D1 is very easy, but what do you want to do at uni? If it's maths/physics/engineering/chemistry then M2 may be more useful. If it's medicine (or anything else), choose what you will find easiest to get an A in. If you do A level physics, the overlap with mechanics may make M2 a good choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm juse planning on doing Maths at uni actually. But the thing is, I'll be doing AS Further Maths in Year 13 which means that if I do M2 I'll need to wait till I have finished M1 and I'm worried i won't have any time?
Reply 5
I'm juse planning on doing Maths at uni actually. But the thing is, I'll be doing AS Further Maths in Year 13 which means that if I do M2 I'll need to wait till I have finished M1 and I'm worried i won't have any time?

So are you going into year 12 or year 13? How does your school arrange in the AS further maths i.e. in which years do you do AS maths, A2 maths, and AS further maths (I'm a bit confused by what you mean!) When would you start learning M2 if you did that? And when would you start doing D1? If you're in a class doing M2 then I would assume your school would plan it so that you have enough time to complete it. :smile:

If you're planning on doing a maths degree then I would be inclined to say that M2 would be more useful, and M2 being more difficult than D1 shouldn't be a problem to you!
Original post by Claree
So are you going into year 12 or year 13? How does your school arrange in the AS further maths i.e. in which years do you do AS maths, A2 maths, and AS further maths (I'm a bit confused by what you mean!) When would you start learning M2 if you did that? And when would you start doing D1? If you're in a class doing M2 then I would assume your school would plan it so that you have enough time to complete it. :smile:

If you're planning on doing a maths degree then I would be inclined to say that M2 would be more useful, and M2 being more difficult than D1 shouldn't be a problem to you!

Okay so basically:
I have just done AS Maths (C1,C2,S1) in Year 12
I am going into Year 13 next year and am planning on doing A2 Maths (C3,C4,M1)
Unfortunately, I will not be guarenteed AS Further Maths classes should I choose to study it because of timetable clashes, meaning I would need to self teach Further Maths AS. Unfortunately, if I take M2 as one of my options, I will need to wait until after I have learnt M1 in the 'normal' Maths A2 before I can do the M2 stuff.

Reply 7
Okay so basically:
I have just done AS Maths (C1,C2,S1) in Year 12
I am going into Year 13 next year and am planning on doing A2 Maths (C3,C4,M1)
Unfortunately, I will not be guarenteed AS Further Maths classes should I choose to study it because of timetable clashes, meaning I would need to self teach Further Maths AS. Unfortunately, if I take M2 as one of my options, I will need to wait until after I have learnt M1 in the 'normal' Maths A2 before I can do the M2 stuff.

How late in the year will you finish M1? If you are self-teaching, then there will be some bits of M2 you could start before you finish M1, or after having done certain bits of M1, and will only have a few chapters left to do once you've finished all of M1 e.g. you could probably do finding centres of mass and collisions in M2 before doing M1, and you could do M2 kinematics once you've finished M1 kinematics without having all of M1. If you've done AS physics you could probably just start teaching yourself M2. :smile:

If you're not self-teaching and can do it in class, then I'm sure your school will plan M1 teaching such that enough time is left for M2 even if M2 is started after M1 (e.g. finishing M1 by January in your A2 maths class, then doing M2 from January in the AS FM class).

Either way though, I would assume that school would have to do M1 early on in the year in the A2 maths class if some people in the A2 maths class will also be doing M2 in the AS further maths class (Even if you can't fit the AS further maths class in your timetable). You might want to check with your school/maths department when they're aiming to have finished learning M1. You could also wait until you find out if you can be timetabled to do AS further maths before deciding whether to do M2 or D1 (D1 will probably be the easier module to self-teach if you end up self-teaching).
Original post by Claree
How late in the year will you finish M1? If you are self-teaching, then there will be some bits of M2 you could start before you finish M1, or after having done certain bits of M1, and will only have a few chapters left to do once you've finished all of M1 e.g. you could probably do finding centres of mass and collisions in M2 before doing M1, and you could do M2 kinematics once you've finished M1 kinematics without having all of M1. If you've done AS physics you could probably just start teaching yourself M2. :smile:

If you're not self-teaching and can do it in class, then I'm sure your school will plan M1 teaching such that enough time is left for M2 even if M2 is started after M1 (e.g. finishing M1 by January in your A2 maths class, then doing M2 from January in the AS FM class).

Either way though, I would assume that school would have to do M1 early on in the year in the A2 maths class if some people in the A2 maths class will also be doing M2 in the AS further maths class (Even if you can't fit the AS further maths class in your timetable). You might want to check with your school/maths department when they're aiming to have finished learning M1. You could also wait until you find out if you can be timetabled to do AS further maths before deciding whether to do M2 or D1 (D1 will probably be the easier module to self-teach if you end up self-teaching).

This was the plan, but it'll only work if the timetables are okay....
normally, for the "normal" maths class, they do C3, then C4 and M1 simultaenously. For the A2 Further Maths calss, they finish C3,C4 and M1 before January and then go on to do their A2 Further Maths (which includes M2). It's a bit risky though, I haven't done AS Physics so it'll be difficult.

Like you say, it does depend on the timetable and so I may well end up doing D1. Thanks for the help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest