The Student Room Group

York or Exeter?

I have offers to study BSc maths at both universities. im really unsure on what to pick. i like York more and i love the vibe there. But i have heard from some people that Exeter is a "better" university in things like rankings / industry connections. i really have no clue which one to choose
Maths is a great degree to have and both unis are highly rated. Go with York if you like it there.
Original post by ReeceV123
I have offers to study BSc maths at both universities. im really unsure on what to pick. i like York more and i love the vibe there. But i have heard from some people that Exeter is a "better" university in things like rankings / industry connections. i really have no clue which one to choose
Hi @ReeceV123

I'm from York originally and can say that its a great city, with lots going on, lots of history, job opportunities for students and a good student scene, all in a smaller city environment. I can't vouch for Exeter as I have never been, but I'm sure it has some great qualities too.

I was in your position when choosing my uni. So a few things you might want to think about are - firstly the course. Maybe get both course pages side by side online and compare the course content breakdowns. See if they cover the same things, different things, how you'll be assessed (exam or coursework) and see if one becomes more of a stand out for you. If this doesn't help, try looking a bit wider into the universities as a whole. What do they offer, societies available, facilities, awards and reputation, student support, accommodation, etc.

If you're still undecided after this, then it probably does come down to the location itself. Which city do you prefer? Is one closer to home than the other - and do you want to be near home or further away? Are there good transport links? If you have the opportunity to visit them, that could really help you out. Or have a look if either offer an offer holder day. We do this at BCU where students with an offer can come and visit, ask more questions and meet tutors, etc. So maybe this is something you could try?

I know this decision isn't easy but take some time, and you'll get there. Best of luck!
Emily :smile:
Student Rep at BCU
Where will you be happiest .....?
Go where you will be happiest. Look at the course and the kind of place you want to study. At the end of the day nobody can tell you what is best for you. You will be the person studying there not somebody else and everyone will have different opinions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending