The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jam278
Firstly wasn't including Chelsea here and I don't believe our squad is strong enough for the title. Yours(with Vidal) is.

Chelsea have also won a CL and numerous other cup trophies while maintaining good standing in europe so it's not comparable. Since the last title we've had to compete with Ronaldo for 3 years. In 2010 we sold our key players so were in rebuilding phase(which we are still in).

It would be very close between you and City, but City should be blitzing this league, if they haven't now, will they ever, the likes of Toure, Kompany, Fernandinho are getting on and with Aguero's injury list you might not see the best of them. Also depends on how Liverpool bed their signings in, their setup is the best in challenging for a league title which could make up for their lack of quality.

Just pointing out that signing expensive players definitely doesnt guarantee the title, unless this is yet another example of another set of rules for Arsenal or something. Would be an unbelievable achievement if any team other than City/Chelsea won the league this time round to be absolutely honest.Bookies have Arsenal at 7/1 or thereabouts and Liverpool at 10s.

My hopes are another FA Cup, Semi Finals of the CL if the draw is kind to us and 80ish points. If Sanchez beds in well and Ramsey has another season like the last then we can manager that.

Only thing stopping City is the CB area in truth, if they get that up to the quality of the rest of the side they'll run away with it surely. Not even that bothered by that since it'll be good to watch and Mourinho will get sacked... :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
What as opposed to him against Torino and Lazio? Obviously he ripped up Serie A but you cant blame people for not being impressed in the handful of big CL/Uruguay matches they've seen him in.

Saying that, I would take Cavani if he were available , worth taking the risk given the potential upside if he took off.

Consider the context of his role in both teams, He's a system player he needs the team working to service him, he need the confident and trust of the manager. He regularly performed in the CL with Napoli also. Football is a fickle game so people forget
Original post by Zürich
Just pointing out that signing expensive players definitely doesnt guarantee the title, unless this is yet another example of another set of rules for Arsenal or something. Would be an unbelievable achievement if any team other than City/Chelsea won the league this time round to be absolutely honest.Bookies have Arsenal at 7/1 or thereabouts and Liverpool at 10s.

My hopes are another FA Cup, Semi Finals of the CL if the draw is kind to us and 80ish points. If Sanchez beds in well and Ramsey has another season like the last then we can manager that.

Only thing stopping City is the CB area in truth, if they get that up to the quality of the rest of the side they'll run away with it surely. Not even that bothered by that since it'll be good to watch and Mourinho will get sacked... :wink:

Original post by Zürich

I won't say it's another set of rules for Arsenal. You'd have the best midfield in the league with Vidal there. Liverpool at 10...

Could happen. Now not too confident of you having a good CL season like that, all depends on the group stages, I expect you to get to quarters this year for once.

Personally would lol if Mourinho gets the sack. It's got to that point where I've realised that for the most part our team manages itself. Maybe they get credit for the big game victories(or lack of them) but then regardless of the manager you usually see Chelsea do well in majority of these. It's more down to the teams setup. I would say that's Mourinho's blueprint though as we suddenly got much better in the big games this season too in all competitions.

Original post by sevchenko
Consider the context of his role in both teams, He's a system player he needs the team working to service him, he need the confident and trust of the manager. He regularly performed in the CL with Napoli also. Football is a fickle game so people forget

He played one season in the champions league with napoli and bar a decent first leg vs Chelsea(that I didn't watch) he absolutely bottled it in the second leg.

So yeah. Better than Giroud I guess.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sevchenko

No one knows how Cavani will perform in the Premier League. I don't really consider Serie A or Ligue 1 good indicators of how he can perform in England. Giroud had a sublime season with Montpellier in Ligue 1, Gervinho is looking like a class player in Serie A... the guy is obviously talented, but for £55M, and ridiculous wages (£160,000 a week after tax) its pointless having this discussion. We will not fork out that money for him nor should we.
(edited 9 years ago)
Is there any good striker in the PL atm though? I mean last season not possible new ones this season.

Suarez comes to mind. Maybe Sturridge, too, scored a lot. But nothing of the Torres of Liverpool days, Drogba of glory days, van Persie when he was good.
Original post by SarcasticMel
Is there any good striker in the PL atm though? I mean last season not possible new ones this season.

Suarez comes to mind. Maybe Sturridge, too, scored a lot. But nothing of the Torres of Liverpool days, Drogba of glory days, van Persie when he was good.

Suarez was better than all of those strikers combined. The guy is just :sogood:. Shame about the biting though.
Aguero was doing a Suarez when he was fit.
Original post by jam278

His legs look ****ed. I predict an Owen type of downfall.
Reply 1089
Original post by jam278

I keep saying that Aguero would have been rated a better player than Suarez if he didn't get injured so much. Definitely more goals too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1090
Original post by AR_95
I keep saying that Aguero would have been rated a better player than Suarez if he didn't get injured so much. Definitely more goals too

Posted from TSR Mobile

As much as I want to agree, Suarez just matched the all time top goal scorer record, higher than an in-prime Henry :/

It's hard matching that.. So I'm not so sure about the confidence that he'll "defo get more goals"

Though as a footballer, I love an in-form aguero <3
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SHOO
As much as I want to agree, Suarez just matched the all time top goal scorer record, higher than an in-prime Henry :/

It's hard matching that.. So I'm not so sure about the confidence that he'll "defo get more goals"

Where, in the prem? Got a source for that?
Original post by SHOO

Did you see Aguero's record when fit?

17 goals in 20 starts and 3 substitute appearances in the league.
Also got 6 goals in 6 CL appearances. If he was fit he'd have won the top goalscorer award. He was scoring in big games too. We're talking 35 league goals from aguero if he played the whole season.
Original post by C.Almasy

Joint with Shearer and Ronaldo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_top_Premier_League_goal_scorers_by_season
Reply 1094
Original post by C.Almasy

Yeah prem, when Shearer & Cole got more goals it was when there were 22 teams in the league.. So I don't think it's fair to compare that. Apart from that, yes, Alan Shearer matched the 31 goals in the 95/96 season, and Henry got 30 in 04/05 & RVP got 30 in 12/13.

Oh & Ronaldo also matched the 31 goal record in a 38 game season too

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_top_Premier_League_goal_scorers_by_season

Don't get me wrong though, I do prefer Aguero over Suarez
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1095
Original post by jam278
Did you see Aguero's record when fit?

17 goals in 20 starts and 3 substitute appearances in the league.
Also got 6 goals in 6 CL appearances. If he was fit he'd have won the top goalscorer award. He was scoring in big games too. We're talking 35 league goals from aguero if he played the whole season.

Yes, but unfortuantely it's always a "what if" situation with Aguero because he's so injury prone.

To be fair, we could argue the same for a fit RVP, because if he remained fit for longer than just a season or two during his Arsenal career, I'm sure he would have learnt a lot faster and possibly could have scored more than 30. If ya think about it, he got 30 goals in a midfield that consisted of Alex Song, Wilshere, Arteta etc. Imagine he was fully fit during the Hleb, Fabregas, Thomas, Flamini days lol

Honestly though, as a footballer I prefer aguero over Suarez so much more, I just wish he stayed fit for longer
(edited 9 years ago)
Suarez's 31 goals were actually only from 33 apps too though remember, cos of his ban.
Original post by e aí rapaz
Suarez's 31 goals were actually only from 33 apps too though remember, cos of his ban.

Yes, we also need to remember that his stats were skewed heavily because of that time he went rampant in december vs norwich and the likes.

Aguero was doing what Suarez was doing with more consistency even against the big teams.
Reply 1098
Original post by e aí rapaz

True say, but same could be said about ronaldo, who's 31 goals in 07-08 were from 34 appearences

My main point here was that even though I agree that Aguero is a better footballer, I don't think a fully fit Aguero would get a significant number of higher goals than then the previous top goal scorers.

Could possibly come close, but I wouldn't say he'd get that many more.. It is a reeeal hard thing to do lol
Reply 1099
People saying of two more players of £ 30 mil+...

we've already spent around £45 mil
We've only got another £50 mil max....(there may be more, but highly doubt wenger would spend all the money in one go!)

I think he'll go for one more really good player, and then the rest on loan, cheap buys, under-21's....or leaves spaces blank?? (or use some of the under-21 players)

Latest