The Student Room Group

MH17 flight down in Ukraine

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fullofsurprises
It would show the position and speed of the aircraft at the time when it was shot down. This would help to refute the RT/Kremlin propaganda that it was the Ukrainian government who shot it down, which is why Russia has illegally sequestered the black box.

That stuff is pretty well known already. Independent bodies like the FlightRadar application, various ATC zones have all confirmed where it was, as, indeed, has the wreckage. The FDRs aren't going to be needed for that.

What they may be useful for is showing what was being talked about on the radio in the minutes leading up to the event. There is still speculation and reports of other aircraft in the area. Communication in the cockpit may be able to help that story.
It would show the position and speed of the aircraft at the time when it was shot down. This would help to refute the RT/Kremlin propaganda that it was the Ukrainian government who shot it down, which is why Russia has illegally sequestered the black box.

Russia is a permanent member of the UN, the UN is dealing with this issue therefore it is not illegal for Russia to request the black box. In my opinion.
* I've read some articles and there is nothing in them about it being illegal for Russia to have to black box, of course concerns will always be raised but nothing illegal like you said.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by LightBlueSoldier
People have already been quite rightly speculating that it was the Russian military. And to be honest the only thing the media has been doing has been wildly speculating about how the separatists did it.

And yes it is a real motive. I think you are vastly overestimating the probability that we ever find out what really happened.

I just think you seem incredibly biased in this. You've been brainwashed by the western media.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well the only people who have been shooting down planes in the area is the separatists, they are the only ones who have a non-tin foil hat conspiracy theory motive, it's looking incredibly likely that they have the weaponry required to shoot it down, so no it's not wild speculation. Instead it's by far the most likely explanation.

I'm not biased, if someone presents a credible motive and credible evidence then I'll consider it, until then there is nothing to consider. You've been brainwashed by Russia Today.

Original post by Jammy Duel
Or the SPLA , or the French, , or Zimabwe who have a history of doing it, or Angola, Japan, A bunch of people in western Africa, Israel, Somalia, Tamils, Congo, oh, Israel have a history too, more Soviets, and Japan again, three lots by the soviets now, Pakistan, Bulgaria, the Dutch, China, Germany, Iraq (first successful landing without hydraulics in a modern plane, damn fine flying), Gerogia.

I don't think you understood the argument. It was that it is possible that the Ukrainian "government" accidentally shot it down and not just the separatists. And just because you haven't done it before mean you never will, most of those cases are a first time for the belligerent.

I'm fully aware of that, you've completely missed the point, I was simply pointing out that a case of Ukrainians shooting down a passenger jet years ago means very little. I think your post would be better directed at LightBlieSoldier.
Reply 363
Russia has illegally sequestered the black box.

Be really careful with your judgements. It seems to me that you want to blame Russia for anything no matter what.

Black boxes were supposed to be handed to Moscow not because Putin really wants to see them, but because the main office of Interstate Aviation Committee is situated there. Ukraine is one of this organization participants.

Anyway Sergey Lavrov (Russian Minister of Foreign Affairs) has recently told that they don't want black boxes to stay in Russia and ready to hand them to international experts.
Original post by AlexKay99
Russia is a permanent member of the UN, the UN is dealing with this issue therefore it is not illegal for Russia to request the black box. In my opinion.

The investigation of a crash in a country is usually lead by the organisation in that country with assistance from other countries as required, so as the crash occurred in Ukraine, to a Malaysian aircraft that originated from the Netherlands, the FDRs going to Russia is an unusual step.
Original post by DaveSmith99
Well the only people who have been shooting down planes in the area is the separatists, they are the only ones who have a non-tin foil hat conspiracy theory motive, it's looking incredibly likely that they have the weaponry required to shoot it down, so no it's not wild speculation. Instead it's by far the most likely explanation.

I'm not biased, if someone presents a credible motive and credible evidence then I'll consider it, until then there is nothing to consider. You've been brainwashed by Russia Today.

I'm fully aware of that, you've completely missed the point, I was simply pointing out that a case of Ukrainians shooting down a passenger jet years ago means very little. I think your post would be better directed at LightBlieSoldier.

But Iran Air Flight 655 wasn't shot down by Ukraine, it was the Americans, so you clearly didn't look at the referred to incident and therefore completely missed the point.
Original post by Drewski
The investigation of a crash in a country is usually lead by the organisation in that country with assistance from other countries as required, so as the crash occurred in Ukraine, to a Malaysian aircraft that originated from the Netherlands, the FDRs going to Russia is an unusual step.

Unusual maybe, but not illegal. Firstly Ukraine is basically at war and the FDR's can't stay there. I will say again, this case has been handed to the UN to resolve therefore in this instance it may not be as unusual as many may think also given that Russia is one of the 'founders' of the UN. (24 Oct 1945)
* I've read some articles and there is nothing in them about it being illegal for Russia to have to black box, of course concerns will always be raised but nothing illegal like you said.

It's an unorthodox move, and given the debated legality of the separatist movement (and the "government" in Ukraine for that matter) any legal issues can kinda be disregarded. However, the investigation is not UN business, it is the business of the local Air Crash Investigation organisation and anybody they are willing to let in. The Dutch can reasonably get involved since it came from the Netherlands, the Malaysians because it was a Malasian carrier, and the Americans insist on getting involved because it was a US plane. The UN have nothing to do with it. There also aren't mean "non-permanent" members of the Un, the security council is a different thing.
The airspace in which the accident took place instigates the investigation and commences the search, other nations may assist in the search if they wish and are invited to be the state of occurrence. The state in which the aircraft is registered must be informed and must also be invited to participate in the investigation.(International Air Law ICAO, annex 13) Obviously in this case some tension exists as to who is in charge of this particular piece of airspace!

It was deeply unfortunate that any civilian aircraft was under threat. Even more so that it happened to be Malaysian Airlines, on a fully serviceable Boeing 777, which, in this case just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time (or the right place at the right time!). Civilian aviation must never become involved in conflict.

I hope that investigators will be allowed to do their job and not be obstructed in any way by the complicated politics of the area (which I won't pretend to understand). However if history repeats itself this looks unlikely.

RIP to all those involved in the accident.
I knew after the BRICS summit the US would need some kind of false flag to ramp up conventional military intervention. Since the sanctions pretty much weren't working (they were sanctioning themselves in the long run).
Unusual maybe, but not illegal. Firstly Ukraine is basically at war and the FDR's can't stay there. I will say again, this case has been handed to the UN to resolve therefore in this instance it may not be as unusual as many may think also given that Russia is one of the 'founders' of the UN. (24 Oct 1945)

The UNSC hasn't even discussed this yet, it's the OSCE that are currently doing most of the investigating, along with Malaysian officials.

Whether or not someone is a founder member of the UN is completely irrelevant to their stature within the UN and you are confusing the UN and the UNSC.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jammy Duel
It's an unorthodox move, and given the debated legality of the separatist movement (and the "government" in Ukraine for that matter) any legal issues can kinda be disregarded. However, the investigation is not UN business, it is the business of the local Air Crash Investigation organisation and anybody they are willing to let in. The Dutch can reasonably get involved since it came from the Netherlands, the Malaysians because it was a Malasian carrier, and the Americans insist on getting involved because it was a US plane. The UN have nothing to do with it. There also aren't mean "non-permanent" members of the Un, the security council is a different thing.

I understand your point, in most instances you'd be correct but in this case the UN has called for a global inquiry amid demands for an independent investigation;
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/18/un-meets-as-world-leaders-call-for-global-inquiry-into-mh17-crash
I understand your point, in most instances you'd be correct but in this case the UN has called for a global inquiry amid demands for an independent investigation;
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/18/un-meets-as-world-leaders-call-for-global-inquiry-into-mh17-crash

Saying that there "needs to be an inquiry" is categorically and very obviously not the same thing as running that inquiry.
Original post by Drewski
The UNSC hasn't even discussed this yet, it's the OSCE that are currently doing most of the investigating, along with Malaysian officials.

Whether or not someone is a founder member of the UN is completely irrelevant to their stature within the UN and you are confusing the UN and the UNSC.

Original post by Drewski
Saying that there "needs to be an inquiry" is categorically and very obviously not the same thing as running that inquiry.

Already answered you. Asking for an inquiry does not mean they are running one. The UNSC hasn't even met yet. You are confusing things.
Original post by Drewski

Just yesterday on Sky News I heard the foreign secretary say something along the lines of we are happy to allow the UN to investigate this and that it is investigating it already.
Please find me some evidence if I'm totally wrong but the UN will take over sooner or later.
(edited 9 years ago)
Just today yesterday on Sky News I heard the foreign secretary say something along the lines of we are happy to allow the UN to investigate this and that it is investigating it already.
Please find me some evidence if I'm totally wrong but the UN will take over sooner of later.

"something along the lines of"... devastatingly accurate reporting there.

You are saying something has happened or is happening that has not yet been discussed. And no, I don't believe the UN will get involved, it's got no reason to. There are many far better qualified organisations - like the ones that actually regularly investigate plane crashes - that are far better suited to something like this and fully capable of operating independently - which is all the UN wants.

The various members of the UNSC are simply saying they want an independent investigation to happen. They are not saying they are running one, they are not saying they will run one.
Reply 377
I can't be bothered with the last 20 pages. Has anyone blamed Israel and the CIA yet?
Original post by Clip
I can't be bothered with the last 20 pages. Has anyone blamed Israel and the CIA yet?

Ofc.
Reply 379
Original post by Drewski
Ofc.

You know how there is an Israel/Palestine megathread? There should be one called "I'm so stupid that I believe....x" and all these posts get put there to be preserved for all time. Future generations can look back and have a good old laugh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending