The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zürich
-Aggression
-Unbelievable off the ball pressing and general work rate
-Big game mentality
-1V1 finishing

Personally think £17m for Mandzukic is one of the bargains of the summer

- Giroud works his arse off pressing the opposition defence. Dunno if you've noticed.

- I'll give you that

- Debatable. How do you even measure this?
Original post by Basiji
- Giroud works his arse off pressing the opposition defence. Dunno if you've noticed.

- I'll give you that

- Debatable. How do you even measure this?

Dunno mate, seen Mandzukic live twice and the guy is just a work-horse with his pressing, no comparison with Giroud.

He's also just a hard-nut. Whereas Giroud is on the floor with that gallic look of disbelief that it's not a free kick, Mandzukic will be leaving his studs in the defenders leg instead. Of course Giroud has got the frame to bully defenders too but he's just not nasty is he?
Reply 1222
Original post by Zürich
Dunno mate, seen Mandzukic live twice and the guy is just a work-horse with his pressing, no comparison with Giroud.

He's also just a hard-nut. Whereas Giroud is on the floor with that gallic look of disbelief that it's not a free kick, Mandzukic will be leaving his studs in the defenders leg instead. Of course Giroud has got the frame to bully defenders too but he's just not nasty is he?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1405794006.733345.jpg
Original post by Basiji
what does mandzukic have that giroud doesn't have?

I didn't want to long out that post.

Mandzukic and Giroud are similar players but you need more than one striker, if you're relying on a second rate striker to do the goods, at least have more than one of them so you can rotate accordingly if they're on form or not on form.
Podolski leaving for Sevilla, apparently!
Original post by LivinginColour

I heard that as well. It's alright.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LivinginColour

bout time.
Original post by qwerty_mad
I heard that as well. It's alright.

I like him but he is fairly inconsistant. He wasn't getting first-team football and with more players coming in he is getting pushed down the pecking order. 100 odd caps speaks for itself so I hope he's successful wherever he goes*

*granted it's not elsewhere in England :colone:
Benzema's apparently extended his contract. Hoped the Falcao deal would go through and he'd end up at Arsenal
Original post by alittlehelp
Benzema's apparently extended his contract. Hoped the Falcao deal would go through and he'd end up at Arsenal

Why would Real go into a season with 1 recognised striker when they're going for 6 trophies
Original post by sevchenko
Why would Real go into a season with 1 recognised striker when they're going for 6 trophies

They wouldn't, they'll replace Morata.
Reply 1231
I am abroad with limited wifi... Anyone want to update me on the last week? I know we've sign MB2 but everything else ? What's happens to the rumours about khedeira ? Anyone else likely to be signed soon
Original post by t()m
I am abroad with limited wifi... Anyone want to update me on the last week? I know we've sign MB2 but everything else ? What's happens to the rumours about khedeira ? Anyone else likely to be signed soon

BBC are saying we're in advanced talks with Cavani
Reply 1233
Original post by mrdoovde1
BBC are saying we're in advanced talks with Cavani

Dpmo - are you for real?

Edit: No, you're not :/
The fact that Arsene hasn't (as far as we know) gone for Remy or Mandzukic implies that he's not looking for a second striker of a similar ability to Giroud. Which means he's either

a) trying to get in a TOP striker instead
b) not looking to improve our striker situation
c) thinking that Sanchez will solve everything

I'm obviously hoping it's a but it's probably c
Reply 1235
Original post by e aí rapaz
The fact that Arsene hasn't (as far as we know) gone for Remy or Mandzukic implies that he's not looking for a second striker of a similar ability to Giroud. Which means he's either

I think he'll get a proven CDM now, and then in the space of now till August 31st, he'll get a GK.

Then on deadline day he'll go in hard for a top top striker :O
Original post by SHOO
I think he'll get a proven CDM now, and then in the space of now till August 31st, he'll get a GK.

Then on deadline day he'll go in hard for a top top striker :O

From the post match interview today:

on if he wants to sign a goalkeeper…

I will bring in a goalkeeper for sure.

on Vermaelen's future…

I cannot guarantee that [he will stay at the club] but should he go, I will bring another centre back in for sure.

on Arsenal's summer signings so far…

I'm very happy with what I could do until now. It's not over - there's still a long way to go.
Reply 1237

I wish it was A but most likely it's B/C. Still though, it wont hurt us as much if Sanchez/Walcott and AOC all remained fit for most parts of the season ( and ramsey ofcourse) but I do wish we signed some one of equal, if not more quality than giroud
From the post match interview today:

on if he wants to sign a goalkeeper…

I will bring in a goalkeeper for sure.

on Vermaelen's future…

I cannot guarantee that [he will stay at the club] but should he go, I will bring another centre back in for sure.

on Arsenal's summer signings so far…

I'm very happy with what I could do until now. It's not over - there's still a long way to go.

Man City are looking to get rid of Nastasic apparently. We should be all over that like a tramp on a penny.

Sanchez will play up front, no doubt about that. Wenger pretty much confirmed this subtly in some interviews after the transfer. With a fully fit squad we could play one of Sanchez/Walcott/Podolski/Sanogo/Campbell up front. If Giroud isn't in form we have depth there.

GK, CDM and third choice CB are main priorities ATM if Verm leaves. No point bringing in a striker if they're not world class. Walcott could probably perform better than the likes of Remy up front anyway tbf.

Latest