The Student Room Group

Should I be a teacher? or what other careers would suit me?

I am really interested in what career I should have when I'm older (I'm 15 now), I guess as it would be an ultimate goal for me.

I really enjoy helping people and I have volunteered for cancer charities etc and I am the Youth Officer at a local cancer charity so I deal with everything related to the Youth e.g. creating, planning fundraisers that would appeal to teens, preteens, children etc. I enjoy being around and working with children as I love their enthusiasm and I love inspiring them more also. I spend a lot of time around my old primary as my mum is a teacher there so I help her organise the books into levels etc and I am the resident DJ there for school discos :cool: . My mum, my aunt and my uncle are all teachers so I don't have a super romanticised view of it either, I know all about the weekly, monthly plans etc:wink:

I love art, history, ict, human relations, psychology and human/animal welfare. I am not constantly organised and don't have the longest attention span ever though. :confused: I am rubbish at languages and I am not the best a maths but I can definitely do up to GCSE level.

I think I wouldn't like to be a secondary school teacher though as I would only teach Art or History as I don't enjoy other subjects enough to dedicate my life to them and only them. Students, especially boys are very rude to art teachers as they see it as a waste of time, glorified colouring in and they think anyone can be an art teacher. Teaching History also would bother me if I wasn't teaching topics I like regularly. :s-smilie:

Thoughts? :bl:
Original post by tara_mc_
Students, especially boys are very rude to art teachers as they see it as a waste of time, glorified colouring in and they think anyone can be an art teacher.
:bl:

Ouch.
Reply 2
Original post by swarfliam
Ouch.

Yeah I know, people are so ignorant. I would hate to be trying to work with children like that in order to get them through grades and inspire people who are that far gone..
Reply 3
I guess you first do your exams..
You will realize which suits you once you complete your exams :yep:

It's nothing to worry about now..

Well i thought i wanna be a doctor at your stage...
But after completing A-Levels I decided and found I'm good at accounting...

As time goes things will change..
So just focus on your studies now:smile:

But, I appreciate you have an imagination..
Keep the imagination and hope till you succeed all your exams...

Aim for the top, then only you get it or atleast somewhere very close to it but, not very lower..:hugs:

Best Wishes!
Reply 4
I'd say actually having a short attention span could work in your favour (and hey, you're still only 15 so it could still improve :tongue: ). You'll know how to interest 15-year-olds with short attention spans as you'll know how it feels :biggrin:

Teaching components of the curriculum you don't enjoy is a mild annoyance, but again, because of this, your focus is on making it the most enjoyable possible for your students...and yourself of course :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending