The Student Room Group

Please help with uni/career advice

Hello wonderful people of the internet, thank you for considering helping me.

I am a very confused year 13 student who wants to study a degree but I don’t know what in, except that I want to do one. I love English literature and would like to try creative writing but given the bleak or in my opinion uninteresting career prospects (like PR), I think it may be better to keep this as a hobby or part time job. I have done several career quizzes and the most reliable tell me I should work in humanitarian aid or as a post secondary teacher (though, I can’t do public speaking). I want to help people, and likewise the planet, so naturally I am drawn to Geography. I love learning about ethics, the physical environment, sustainability and I also love to travel. I especially like helping people who struggle to have their voices heard. I have a love of history and have an interest in the study of cultures. These varied interests have made it extremely difficult for me to have a clear career path; I don’t think I want to restrict myself to a niche degree (e.g. social anthropology) because of the lack of employment mobility and security, and, what if I get bored? I like learning new things. I previously considered doing a physical and human geography degree (combined in some fashion, depending on unis) and figuring it out from there but my school friends have made me second guess myself.

I am very confused and having been told I should be on my 2/3 draft of writing my personal statement is making me panic a bit because I have no idea what to do. Thank you for any advice ❤️
Reply 1
Which A levels are you taking and with what predicted grades? That might give a broad guide to the range of degrees which might suit you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending