The Student Room Group

Hair Dye

Hi! :smile:

I was wondering if you could give me any advice.

I don't know whether or not to dye my hair. If I dyed it, I would probably dye it a red/burgundy/purple colour. The thing is that my natural hair colour is actually one of the few things that I actually really like about myself, so is it worth dying it or should I just leave it? Many of my friends say that this colour would suit me, but I'm not 100% sure.

Then, if I decide to dye it, so many questions come up. Do I have to bleach it because my hair is very dark brown? Will bleach damage my hair? Is it worth bleaching? Should I do it at the hairdressers' or myself? What dye should I use? Should it be temporary or not? What if it looks awful after dying it?

I hope you can help. Thank you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
I can't find the exact colour I'm talking about on Google Images, but this is approximately the colour I mean...

At long distance, it would look (relatively dark) red. At medium distance, it would look burgundy and 'is there a purple tint to it?' Close-up, it would look clearly burgundy-red with a definite purple tint.

I was also considering a light brown dip-dye, but I'm not sure. The fact that I'm considering this so seriously must contribute to the fact that perhaps I really want to dye it. Then I always think, "You know what? I really like my natural colour, so why am I considering dying it?"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Arithmeticae
Pics plz

Pictures of my hair now or the colour that I would dye it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sophie !
Hi! :smile:

I was wondering if you could give me any advice.

I don't know whether or not to dye my hair. If I dyed it, I would probably dye it a red/burgundy/purple colour. The thing is that my natural hair colour is actually one of the few things that I actually really like about myself, so is it worth dying it or should I just leave it? Many of my friends say that this colour would suit me, but I'm not 100% sure.

Then, if I decide to dye it, so many questions come up. Do I have to bleach it because my hair is very dark brown? Will bleach damage my hair? Is it worth bleaching? Should I do it at the hairdressers' or myself? What dye should I use? Should it be temporary or not? What if it looks awful after dying it?

I hope you can help. Thank you! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dip dye it to see if you like the colour first? Or use semi-permanent dye? :smile:

What's up with Year 9 girls dying their hair?

Preferably both

Don't be creepy :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Preferably both

It won't let me attach a picture for some reason. Is there any way I can just describe it to you? Feel free to ask questions to help me describe it. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by karmacrunch
Dip dye it to see if you like the colour first? Or use semi-permanent dye? :smile:

What's up with Year 9 girls dying their hair?

Don't be creepy :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I might do that. :smile: Haha, I don't know, I guess it's just a trend! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I might do that. :smile: Haha, I don't know, I guess it's just a trend! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

My friend is dip dying hers green or blue this summer, I can't remember.

There a lots of new brunettes, blondes and red heads in my year now :tongue:

Edit: Also, honestly if you are questioning it you might want to go for something that is not permanent first anyway. :redface:
And.... Your hair colour sounds really nice too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by karmacrunch
My friend is dip dying hers green or blue this summer, I can't remember.

There a lots of new brunettes, blondes and red heads in my year now :tongue:

Edit: Also, honestly if you are questioning it you might want to go for something that is not permanent first anyway. :redface:
And.... Your hair colour sounds really nice too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hehe, thanks!

I would consider having a blue streak in my hair, but I don't think it would suit me.

Would you ever dye your hair?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hehe, thanks!

I would consider having a blue streak in my hair, but I don't think it would suit me.

Would you ever dye your hair?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your welcome! I'm sure it'd be fine but I'm not sure about your school though.

Nein! Never it would literally die!! :eek:

I don't think I'd suit another hair colour. The closest I'd ever get to dying my hair would be putting extensions in and dip-dying them (purple!!). Yep, that won't happen though... :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I can't find the exact colour I'm talking about on Google Images, but this is approximately the colour I mean...

At long distance, it would look (relatively dark) red. At medium distance, it would look burgundy and 'is there a purple tint to it?' Close-up, it would look clearly burgundy-red with a definite purple tint.

I was also considering a light brown dip-dye, but I'm not sure. The fact that I'm considering this so seriously must contribute to the fact that perhaps I really want to dye it. Then I always think, "You know what? I really like my natural colour, so why am I considering dying it?"

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you have long hair?

And sorry if you've said but what colour is your original hair colour?

I think try dip dying it first then see if you like it.. If you don't you can just chop that part off :smile:

I don't know if its a myth or not but I thought once your dye the roots loads of times your hair doesn't go back to its original colour?
Original post by katbob

I don't know if its a myth or not but I thought once your dye the roots loads of times your hair doesn't go back to its original colour?

I doubt it because your hair is made out of dead cells which are grow from your skin. So unless you dye the actual root of your hair... I think that's unlikely :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by katbob
Do you have long hair?

And sorry if you've said but what colour is your original hair colour?

I think try dip dying it first then see if you like it.. If you don't you can just chop that part off :smile:

I wouldn't call my hair long, but I definitely wouldn't say it is short. It goes approximately do to the bottom of my chest.

My original hair colour is dark brown.

I suppose, but chopping it off might be extreme because it would be quite a lot of hair to chop off and I'm actually thinking about growing it a little bit longer. Perhaps I should just use a temporary dye. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
I wouldn't call my hair long, but I definitely wouldn't say it is short. It goes approximately do to the bottom of my chest.

My original hair colour is dark brown.

I suppose, but chopping it off might be extreme because it would be quite a lot of hair to chop off and I'm actually thinking about growing it a little bit longer. Perhaps I should just use a temporary dye. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohh so medium length?

Ah okay :smile:

Hmm how long does temporary dye last for?
And does it not look awful when it starts to fade away?
Ffs how is asking for pics of someone's hair creepy?

Hmm... Thinking about it in context, it doesn't sound that bad... Ignore what I sad soz :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Ffs how is asking for pics of someone's hair creepy?

could you upload a picture of a similar colour from google images or something, or just post a link?

It won't let me... :frown: "Invalid image file."

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest