The Student Room Group

Overseas fee status change

Hey guys,
sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I have completed my BSc (3 years) in the UK and now going on to take MSc in Sept. Someone told me that I can get my fee status changed to home student if I have studied in the UK for three years ? I have never heard that before but just to be sure so I am not missing out on anything, Is it possible ?
They asked me to message the dean of the uni I have applied to and ask for a grant or fee reduction .... :confused:?
Doubt it.

Home means you have to be resident in UK NOT for the purposes of study for last 3 years.
Reply 2
Thanks.
I have read so myself. Maybe they meant three years of schooling.
Original post by Amc21
Thanks.
I have read so myself. Maybe they meant three years of schooling.

Hmmm, doubt it .

School = study, your pre degree stay has to be free of conditions, if you are on a student visa of any sort then you have conditions attached to your stay.

Think your uni is trying not to lose you as a student so they are trying anything they can to take your fees.
Reply 4
The 3 years residency rule only works if you came to the UK for a reason other than education. If you came here specifically to go to uni then you will never attain Home status for fees/funding.

It's always worth a punt - sending an email takes no time at all - but I wouldn't hold out much (if any) hope.
If you are on a student visa then you will have to pay overseas fee even if you have stayed in UK for 8 years on student visa. I think after spending 10 years on student visa you can get PR, and then you can pay home fee.
Reply 6
Original post by universal_set
If you are on a student visa then you will have to pay overseas fee even if you have stayed in UK for 8 years on student visa. I think after spending 10 years on student visa you can get PR, and then you can pay home fee.

Thanks,
lets hope I don't have to stay for 10 years on a student visa lol hoping to complete my studies within 4 years time
Original post by Amc21
Thanks,
lets hope I don't have to stay for 10 years on a student visa lol hoping to complete my studies within 4 years time

TBH, I don't know too much about student visa (or any other UK visa). I googled and passed the information to you :biggrin:

You should check it with the university & UKBA.

All the best.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending