The Student Room Group

Is anyone completely happy with their life??

I feel like there's always something bringing me down. And usually these things make me feel dreadful to the point I feel I can't go on. I just wonder whether it's my attitude or is everyone dissatisfied with something. Is it attainable to have the perfect life ?

Scroll to see replies

I wouldn't say I'm happy. Then again, I'm not sad.. thank god. I'm just neutral.
Reply 2
Until I bed my manager and my gfs mum I will never be truly happy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If it is possible, I hope someone tells me how to get there...
Few people are, but the majority of people still manage to get by despite feeling down.
Original post by iamintorture
I feel like there's always something bringing me down. And usually these things make me feel dreadful to the point I feel I can't go on. I just wonder whether it's my attitude or is everyone dissatisfied with something. Is it attainable to have the perfect life ?

There's something wrong if you're always happy and the same goes for if everyone likes you.

^ That's what I've been told anyway and I agree with it. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm content, it's not amazing and it could be better but then it could be much, much worse so I am happy with it in a way
Original post by MidnightDream
I'm content, it's not amazing and it could be better but then it could be much, much worse so I am happy with it in a way

This.
I'll never be completely happy with my life.
Quite the opposite .
Depends on what you see a perfect life to be. You need some bad things going on life to make you appreciate the good things.

You are probably going through a rough spell. Remember that happiness works like a roller-coaster. It goes up and down like your emotions do.

I'm really happy, and I think my life has gone astonishingly well so far. I am receiving an education, I have travelled, met some amazing friends, any serious illnesses I have had have been seen to by doctors, I have easy access to food/water, I haven't been involved in crime, and more importantly, I'm not dead. :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by iamintorture

wow you're just like me! I know exactly how you feel..
I'm content and have realised that everything will get better eventually.
Don't worry - I sometimes get down when everything becomes too much. Find something you enjoy!
Hope you are feel better soon! :smile:
Warning: depressing post...

I don't think I'll ever be truly satisfied with my life. I care too much what others think, compare myself, put too much emphasis on things that aren't that important and I'm terribly pessimistic. Unless I work on my self and my attitude, I'll never be content, no matter how much I have or achieve :frown:
I once was, probably about this time two years ago. But currently I have lost a lot of dear friends, still mourning over deaths this past year, am exhausted and frustrated, guilt-ridden and just plain bored, despite having hobbies that usually satisfied me. Truth is, I just wish I hadn't messed up the best thing in my life and then I'd be okay.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yes I'm really happy apart from this toothache problem. Once this is gone my life will go back to being great again.

:bigsmile: <--- see look. I'm so happy.
I'm content but improving my life daily.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This from some blog that I follow. When it comes to careers I think that graph of success and happiness is very relevant.

http://www.pentadact.com/2011-03-12-analysing-happiness/

(edited 9 years ago)
Life is tough but you're the only person that can heave yourself out of any unhappiness you are feeling. The world simply does not give a **** about you - you are the only person that can change any of it. Try and enjoy life for what it is. I think as you get older your perceptions on life will change. Terrible events (e.g. deaths, loss of job, etc) can make or break a person - I have known some to just meltdown afterwards and others to endure such tremendous mental pressure that it comes to the point where they decide they want to go on and live.
Also this paper on the subjective well being shows how positive or negative events did not have a lasting effect on the happiness levels of the test subjects for any longer than 6 months. Basically providing there isn't something that makes you feel miserable on a daily basis your psychological well being is actually very stable and will always bounce back to a base state after either a very positive or negative event occurs in your life.

http://web.yonsei.ac.kr/suh/file/Events%20and%20subjective%20well-being_%20Only%20recent%20events%20matter..pdf

So no amount of academia or career success or even money will make you happy in the long term. What does make you happy is if you enjoy the day to day processes of your daily routines. The above things can help with that or they could make it worse.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest