The Student Room Group

Literally cannot stop comparing myself to others

This is really something I have been struggling with pretty much all my life if I’m being absolutely honest.

Ever since I was a child I’ve felt in a way slower to everyone else but I would say it didn’t really affect me till at least high school. I would never be completely happy with myself for receiving certain good grades in exams for example because at the end of the day my friends all done so much better than me anyways. That’s in the past now however.

I feel like now what’s really bothering me is seeing everyone passing and doing great on their driving tests. I know that makes me sound so envious and not happy for others successes however the reason being was that I was meant to take my test this week as well. When I passed my theory back in January, June was the closest available test date and everyone reassured me that I’d be well ready in time. To cut an even longer story short my instructor and I both agreed last week that I wasn’t completely ready and so I’ve moved my test.

I feel as though this has taken a toll on my confidence because I’ve already been learning how to drive for a while and after all this time I apparently still can’t be ready to sit the test. I’ve never strived to be perfect in life, I’m not one of those types of people. However I feel like I’m that person who always does just average in things. If I do something good then everyone else has already done it probably better.
Reply 1
ik its an average answer, but something ive only just started internalising is that nobody is the same. I know its a generic comment to make, but everyone is different which is why we progress at different rates in particular areas. In life there will always be areas where we aren't as good as other people- I have a friend group who is a lot smarter than me and it really makes me feel stupid compared to them, but then I have to reflect on the fact that means I am better than them at some things. Realising that you won't always be as good as everyone else at something, but you have the potential to shine in something else you dedicate yourself to is what matters.

As for the driving test, so many people don't even sit their driving tests or take lessons until way later in life- there's no expected rate in which someone can learn something. As long as a you take your time and know you are prepared before diving into it, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it and will save you time in the long run as it will mean you're more confident in yourself when it comes to it.

Perfect is a completley subjective and idealistic term way too normalised in society today. Everybody is perfect in their own way, and as long as you focus on yourself and your confidence in however long you need it to to take, that is what matters. If you compare yourself it takes the enjoyment out of the things you do and learning as a whole, so I know it's easier said than done, but take time for yourself. Give yourself the time to learn something, as it is typically the case that the more we focus on the lack of progress and try and rush things, the worse the outcome is and the longer the negative loop of thoughts occurs for.

I hope this helped in someway, and it's not an easy journey to stop comparing yourself to others, but with a push and telling yourself it is okay not to be as fast as everyone else to pick something up, you will find that you relax a lot more and stop pressuring yourself to have your life a certain way by a certain age. Time is for us to use how we want, and you use as much as you need to, who cares about anyone else. Focus on you!! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Newtothis_24
This is really something I have been struggling with pretty much all my life if I’m being absolutely honest.

Ever since I was a child I’ve felt in a way slower to everyone else but I would say it didn’t really affect me till at least high school. I would never be completely happy with myself for receiving certain good grades in exams for example because at the end of the day my friends all done so much better than me anyways. That’s in the past now however.

I feel like now what’s really bothering me is seeing everyone passing and doing great on their driving tests. I know that makes me sound so envious and not happy for others successes however the reason being was that I was meant to take my test this week as well. When I passed my theory back in January, June was the closest available test date and everyone reassured me that I’d be well ready in time. To cut an even longer story short my instructor and I both agreed last week that I wasn’t completely ready and so I’ve moved my test.

I feel as though this has taken a toll on my confidence because I’ve already been learning how to drive for a while and after all this time I apparently still can’t be ready to sit the test. I’ve never strived to be perfect in life, I’m not one of those types of people. However I feel like I’m that person who always does just average in things. If I do something good then everyone else has already done it probably better.

I struggle with the same and I've started just trying to avoid knowing how other people do on tests - it doesn't actually overcome the issue but it provides a temporary fix. I've also started to perceive failure/disappointment more optimistically - by that I mean I've really tried to focus in the facts that everyone will fail and be disappointed at some point, better to learn how to deal with it now that get to uni and suddenly perform poorly on a test and be devastated by it, I also really focus on the fact that every mark lost is a learning opportunity, and I will literally say this out loud when assessments are handed back.

On your point about driving tests, I felt the exact same but it's helpful to remind yourself that you only see those who pass, unless someone tells you they failed their test you'd never know, it seems like everyone is driving around but that's just because they're the most visible.
Reply 3
Original post by kxktie
ik its an average answer, but something ive only just started internalising is that nobody is the same. I know its a generic comment to make, but everyone is different which is why we progress at different rates in particular areas. In life there will always be areas where we aren't as good as other people- I have a friend group who is a lot smarter than me and it really makes me feel stupid compared to them, but then I have to reflect on the fact that means I am better than them at some things. Realising that you won't always be as good as everyone else at something, but you have the potential to shine in something else you dedicate yourself to is what matters.

As for the driving test, so many people don't even sit their driving tests or take lessons until way later in life- there's no expected rate in which someone can learn something. As long as a you take your time and know you are prepared before diving into it, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it and will save you time in the long run as it will mean you're more confident in yourself when it comes to it.

Perfect is a completley subjective and idealistic term way too normalised in society today. Everybody is perfect in their own way, and as long as you focus on yourself and your confidence in however long you need it to to take, that is what matters. If you compare yourself it takes the enjoyment out of the things you do and learning as a whole, so I know it's easier said than done, but take time for yourself. Give yourself the time to learn something, as it is typically the case that the more we focus on the lack of progress and try and rush things, the worse the outcome is and the longer the negative loop of thoughts occurs for.

I hope this helped in someway, and it's not an easy journey to stop comparing yourself to others, but with a push and telling yourself it is okay not to be as fast as everyone else to pick something up, you will find that you relax a lot more and stop pressuring yourself to have your life a certain way by a certain age. Time is for us to use how we want, and you use as much as you need to, who cares about anyone else. Focus on you!! :smile:

Thank you so much :smile: I completely get what you’re saying and honestly I don’t even feel like this most of the time, I was just having a bit of a moment earlier on and felt like ranting a bit lol
Reply 4
Original post by Newtothis_24
Thank you so much :smile: I completely get what you’re saying and honestly I don’t even feel like this most of the time, I was just having a bit of a moment earlier on and felt like ranting a bit lol

you're so welcome, and even if it's just having a moment it's so valid, and at least you have a reminder if you feel like that again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest