The Student Room Group

Can I get a good job after college?

Or I have to go to university
Reply 1
It depends what you want to do! Lots of people can get what they class as a 'good job' that they enjoy without going to uni, especially as there are lots of options like apprenticeships out there now! If you wanted to be say, a doctor, you'd likely struggle to get a 'good' job in the medical field without a degree, but if your dream is say, accounting, there are lots of accounting apprenticeships!
Original post by Sufyl

Hello! :smile:
I hope all is well.

Of cause you can get a good job. In my opinion, any job is good! If it makes you happy, then its good. :smile: Regarding levels of experience however, it will depend on what you want to do. So I suggest maybe thinking about the direction you wish to go in at this point in your life and then making plans from there.

For instance if you wish to be a Tailor, you may want to look for an apprenticeship or go to university to study Fashion. However, you can also learn fashion at home or through private courses and then start up a youtube channel to showcase your skills and make money. Honestly, now a days, anything is possible because of the internet! Get creative! :smile:

It really depends on what you want to do with your life. Also, what you want to do with your life right now doesnt not limit or define you for the rest of your life. So make choices that you feel happy with, not through the expectations of others :smile:. If your not ready to make a decision about where you want your life to go right now (which is completely understandable - you are so young!) You could always get a job such as; retail assistant, admin work, bar work, cafe work etc and in your own time work out where you want to go from here. You may also find that getting a job to put you over, actually turns out amazing for you and you may wish to stay at that job and work your way up.

Don't forget not everyone goes straight to university after college. A guy on my university course was 30 when I was 18. Education is a luxury for anyone, at any age. I am 31 and i am only just completing my masters degree. it took me 10 years to make sure I was selecting the right course for my personality and who i now am as a person. I study psychology, which is so different to my undergraduate degree - performing arts!

So take your time, don't stress. Trust yourself and do what is right for you at this time. :smile:
I hope this helps!
All the best
Laura
I would recommend not going. In my final year and it has been hell on Earth.
Original post by Sufyl

Yes, you can get plenty of good jobs without going to uni.
It depends on what you want to do.
For example, If you want to go into a trade (e.g. building, plumbing, electrician, plastering etc etc etc) then threes plenty of college courses and apprenticeships around.
Same if you wanted to go into working with kids, or any other career areas.
Quite a few jobs do not need a degree. And with quite a few jobs you can work your way up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending