The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by plasmaman
Surely university is all about improving your job prospects. £9,000 a year is very expensive for an "experience" and nothing else

Surely this depends on the person and the opportunities they grasp whilst at university. Some people leave university still non the wiser on what career path to take.
Original post by 06shawm
Surely this depends on the person and the opportunities they grasp whilst at university. Some people leave university still non the wiser on what career path to take.

What advantage has university been to these people though?
Reply 42

well for me I would say subjective things personal life... for example the experience the friends the uni life..

but in the long run.. it actually has not got me anymore in career.. I mean iv been graduated for a year now can not find a job.. got a good grade top 20 uni.. nothing !
What degree subject if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 44
In these days it is important to be as innovative and confident and goal oriented as possible. Some people just latch on and go to Uni, I waited till I was mentally and financially ready :closedeyes: When I got a career plan, fool proof, I went.

You also need to get the cooperation of your school staff/faculty to do their JOB and HELP you transition, some of those munters and dipsticks don't :dry: Colleges are supposed to supply you with connections to internships/work study/apprenticing, etc. while you're still a student, especially public institutions.

If you just feel college/Uni is a waste then please have a plan, don't just work and collect peanut checks unless that's what you want for life. I think it's dumb to look down on someone for not going to Uni [immediately]. People's lives unfold differently, but I also think it's naive to look at someone who isn't at Uni who is "goin round n gettin it" and thinking I should've just not gone and did what they're doing. Just do what's best for you, but Uni is never a waste especially if you utilize your time there properly.

Obviously they will have a degree but with an unclear idea of what to use that degree for in terms of job prospects.

It does raise the argument of how valuable a degree actually is since even with a degree, people are still competing for non-graduate jobs. My idea of going to university for me personally was that I needed my degree to enter that particular profession.
Reply 46
Original post by zssr
well for me I would say subjective things personal life... for example the experience the friends the uni life..

but in the long run.. it actually has not got me anymore in career.. I mean iv been graduated for a year now can not find a job.. got a good grade top 20 uni.. nothing !

Which course did you do? if I may ask

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
Original post by TheVth
Which course did you do? if I may ask

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did politics and international relations.
Original post by 06shawm
Obviously they will have a degree but with an unclear idea of what to use that degree for in terms of job prospects.

It does raise the argument of how valuable a degree actually is since even with a degree, people are still competing for non-graduate jobs. My idea of going to university for me personally was that I needed my degree to enter that particular profession.

Absolutely
Reply 49
Original post by zssr
I did politics and international relations.

This is why i'm not trusting those uni employability percentages :l
Waste of time if you do a useless degree
Original post by Jaska
Waste of time if you do a useless degree

Like?
Original post by TheVth
This is why i'm not trusting those uni employability percentages :l

There so misleading!!!
Original post by MUN123
University is a waste of time if you're not doing Medicine, Dentistry or teaching.
I graduated last month and currently can't even get low paying jobs to think
of it I could have been better just getting a job when I was 16 but I'm currently now competing with 16 year olds
to get those entry level low paying jobs

What degree?
Hi there
I've done my gcse's and am considering my future careers. Is econonics a good degree to have ? Can u move country e.g. usa/australia. Also is citylondon uni a good top tier uni ??
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dilzo999
Like?

I don't really want to offend anyone, but I'll say the more vocational the course, the more worthwhile it will be. e.g Medicine/Dentistry/Nursing
Reply 56
People often say that there is a choice. A choice between someone with experience and someone who has been to university. Employers value experience more so would pick the person who worked since leaving school or completed an apprenticeship.

Some people are quick to think that university grads lack work experience but these days that is no longer the case for most students. Placements, sandwich courses, part time work and voluntary work often feature on a graduates CV.

It is what you do whilst you are at uni that counts I think. It's not nessacarily a university of life vs real university deal these days. Graduates are increasingly becoming just as work ready as their non graduate counterparts (even more so in alot of cases) I am confident that this will be better recognised as the economy continues to pick up.
Reply 57
Surely university is all about improving your job prospects. £9,000 a year is very expensive for an "experience" and nothing else

Yeah but some people who do the whole uni thing 'for the experience' might end up in no better position then if they had not gone to uni. That sounds bad on the face of it and I think it's a waste of taxpayers money.

BUT if they enjoyed themselves, thought uni was a blast, come out of it with low skilled work that they may expect. They never HAVE to pay the money back. So people like this have the last laugh really.
Reply 58
the only thing is as a person who has graduated, i believe social sciences could be a non specific niche to be honest (unless you know what you are doing)

anything specific is good, something like politics, english, history, sociology, however it depends at that time when you love what you like to do.

but more specific degrees you need to do to get the job in the field such as medicine, dentistry, vet, therapy, teacher, etc
Original post by Marcusroye98
Here is my view :
Why get a degree in something which has no direct relevance to a specific job?? e.g Getting a degree such as a pharmacy is linked to a specific job but getting a degree in Business is just pointless......
Thats my view, it might be wrong.

True. But on the other hand, what if you did do a job-specific degree in, say, pharmacy, and then at the end of it decided you don't really want to work in pharmacy after all? Then you might be kinda screwed. I guess it's hard to make the right decision about degrees if you're indecisive like me, lol.

Latest