The Student Room Group

How do your parents feel about you dating outside of your race?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheAnusFiles
Generalisation

Its true though.
Fortunately they're not racist. If they were, I would call them out on it and would probably have a bad relationship with them. If there's one thing I don't tolerate, it's racism, no matter how someone tries to justify it.

If an individual is racist because of their parents beliefs, they're just as bad, imo. Racism is a disgusting trait.

Regardless, I don't date anyway.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Fortunately they're not racist. If they were, I would call them out on it and would probably have a bad relationship with them. If there's one thing I don't tolerate, it's racism, no matter how someone tries to justify it.

If an individual is racist because of their parents beliefs, they're just as bad, imo. Racism is a disgusting trait.

Regardless, I don't date anyway.

I totally agree about the racism thing! It's absolutely disgusting! Luckily no one in my family is racist and neither am I :smile: :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 223
My parents wouldnt mind me dating other races unless they where middle eastern or muslims. I personally wouldnt date either of those anyways purely because im not attracted to them. So there isn't much of a big deal.
The only guys I've ever been out with or been attracted to have not been of my own race (I'm mostly Indian)

Though I always feel as if white guys don't like me? Is that true? Though those are the ones I'm usually attracted to...

My parents don't care though :smile: as long as they're not overly religious of any sort, or religious Muslims....
I think when I go out though, they are more concerned if there are creepy Asian guys around haha :P
Original post by TSA
The two statements you made directly contradict each other, unless the second was a joke.

I also don't see what's very funny about the statement your dad made.

Sorry. Yeah, I realise that now
I have south Asian parents and they hate the fact I date, even more the fact that my relationships have all been with white girls.
Reply 227
Original post by Mr Smurf
Its true though.

We've been over this a dozen times, and you have yet to show that it isn't just you.
When ever I tell my parent's they're like:

"HEEEEELL YEAAAH, GET IN THERE G. WHAT YOU HAVING TONIGHT?"

"I GOT ME SOME OF THAT EAST ASIAN STUFF."

Lol.
My dad is really strict with dating/marriage. He doesn't just want the same race but from the same country lol. Hopefully as I get older, he wont mind as much.
Strangely, I don't find many people of my race attractive - most attractive are other races, often half-half (my opinion). I guess my parents will have to put up with it whatever happens. Does anyone else have this?
My parents don't care because they're not racists.

Posted from TSR Mobile
they wouldn't/don't mind. I told them (we're Afro) and I like a woman who is Indian...they generally don't give a ****. they've never been racist.
Original post by Ggmu!
Indians don't dislike black people or think they're inherently scum...

It's that when it comes to MARRIAGE, they're not on the list.

While I'm not saying that's OK, you don't need to make it out as if Indians hate black people, don't talk to them, aren't friends or something.
People overdo stereotypes SO much on TSR.

Edit: for what it's worth we have an African man in our family lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol, another racism-apologist. What a liar. We've seen your true colours, so just give it up. Most Indians are racist on some level, and you most definitely do consider black people inherently subhuman scum.

And an African man is not necessarily a black man. Get your facts right.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TSA
Why not hope a friendship is for life? Friendships can be for life but also breakdown just as other relationships. You've probably never lost friendship with a long term childhood friends then if you can say that.

No I haven't introduced them, we're not at that stage yet. I don't know how they will respond but I do know they are very hospitable so should be welcoming. Her culture is my culture, I have been born, bred and educated in Britain. I'm not a tribesman from a long lost tribe in South America.
So your child has Indians friends that seem rude to you so you judge a whole race on that? We will raise our children well, taken the positives from both cultures. That doesn't mean I value women of less importance then men. Of course I would treat her well, after all you judge a mans character based on what he behaves like when he is angry, there has been times when we have got angry at each other. I've chosen to go outside for a walk, come back, apologise and make up. Why would I revert to more the way I was raised as I grow older? As I am growing older I am living more and more independently having less and less contact with my family if anything I would start to behave differently from how I was raised.

Your questions, make me think what do you think Muslim & Indian culture is. Have you ever visited a Muslim & Indian household and seen how the women are treated.

You hope friendships will be for life but as you get older you'll discover that many do not last that long - and also that young people do often turn into their parents, however much they dislike the idea.

You say that your culture is her culture as you were born and raised here but so were my child's Indian friends who lack any concept of English manners. When younger I had Indian friends who were older than me (and as they were fond of pointing out had lived here longer than me) but their culture was still not my culture. After 3 or 4 generations then it is likely that both cultures will change and become more similar but it hasn't happened yet. I've had long discussions with Muslims about the differences in culture and how their women are treated. Incidentally one of the differences in culture you don't seem to recognise is over when a girlfriend/boyfriend is introduced to a family. If you are having a serious relationship with your girlfriend then her parents will think it strange if you have not introduced her to your family.
my parents would go mad but they are so bigoted. it shouldnt matter what race you date, if you love that person you should be with them!!
Original post by parentlurker
You hope friendships will be for life but as you get older you'll discover that many do not last that long - and also that young people do often turn into their parents, however much they dislike the idea.

You say that your culture is her culture as you were born and raised here but so were my child's Indian friends who lack any concept of English manners. When younger I had Indian friends who were older than me (and as they were fond of pointing out had lived here longer than me) but their culture was still not my culture. After 3 or 4 generations then it is likely that both cultures will change and become more similar but it hasn't happened yet. I've had long discussions with Muslims about the differences in culture and how their women are treated. Incidentally one of the differences in culture you don't seem to recognise is over when a girlfriend/boyfriend is introduced to a family. If you are having a serious relationship with your girlfriend then her parents will think it strange if you have not introduced her to your family.

In the same way one wishes that a love relationship is expected will be for life. Just like friendships they can last for life or they cannot. Not all young people turn into their parents, I have seen first hand my grandparents are nothing like my parents nor am I anything like my parents. Different times, experiences, education shapes an individual. Based on character and personality alone you would not be able to tell I am related to my parents.

Why are you judging all Indians based on your honestly quiet limited experience of Indians born and raised here, unless of course you've met enough British Indians for it to be a representative sample of the population you cannot make such a sweeping statement. Yes, I was born in an Indian household, however I was private school educated, I have a lot of friends of white middle class background. I am well aware of British culture and manners. You keep stating that the culture of a British Indian is different to you in what way exactly other than the way you think women are treated.

Yes it is worth noting we have only been dating a few months, with probably half of that being long distance so neither of us are ready to introduce ourselves to each others parents. I must also state that my brother is also an British Indian Muslim, who has a girlfriend that is white British, she has been introduced to our parents as has he to hers. The reason I have not introduced her to my parents is I am not ready, not because of any cultural differences. What has my parents view on the matter have anything to do with it anyway, she is dating me not my family.
Original post by TSA

Yes it is worth noting we have only been dating a few months, with probably half of that being long distance so neither of us are ready to introduce ourselves to each others parents. I must also state that my brother is also an British Indian Muslim, who has a girlfriend that is white British, she has been introduced to our parents as has he to hers. The reason I have not introduced her to my parents is I am not ready, not because of any cultural differences. What has my parents view on the matter have anything to do with it anyway, she is dating me not my family.

This thread was about how your parents would feel about you dating outside your race, to ask what your parents have to do with it is ridiculous.
Original post by parentlurker
This thread was about how your parents would feel about you dating outside your race, to ask what your parents have to do with it is ridiculous.

Completely disregarded everything I said because of my final statement. Nice.

As a general note, it's shocking that we live in such a secular society, open to so many different cultures, religions, beliefs yet some people are still so ignorant, not allowing their son/daughter to date some of a different race. And people wonder why different cultures and communities do not get along. This. This is why.
Well, maybe it's an Asian thing. But my parents don't approve unless the guy is of Asian descent himself.
Can't be Japanese though since mine are also anti-Japanese, and hold a grudge against them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending