The Student Room Group

The Official TSR Fantasy Football League 2014/15

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Micah Richards
Well, no, it was mainly the way you named four players and then said that they'd be the top three players.

And yeah, I do disagree. Fabregas, Mata, Hazard, Sanchez should all score a huge amount of points too, and you can't say 'barring injury' - it's not a valid disclaimer. van Persie, Sturridge and Aguero are all injury prone.

I did name 4 people but Rooney and RVP had a / between them meanign it will be 1 of the 2. The top 3 players from all positions will be Aguero, Sturridge and one of Rooney or RVP depending on who plays the most minutes and gets set pieces.
And you are right about the barring injury bit. I should have said barring serious injury. I think if any of them can start 30+ games then they will be at the top with any of the others who do.
Fabregas will spend too much time in too defensive a role to be the top points scorer, Mata will never be able to compete when both Rooney and RVP are directly in front of him (for every assists, one of them gets a goal), Hazard is far to inconsistent and is no longer the focal point of the Chelsea attack (there are now more options than "pass it to Hazard" and Sanchez will need to be playing at ST to have a chance because Arsenal have always shared the points around.
Reply 701
Decent player and a decent option but you can pay 0.5 more and get Henderson or Siggy

Henderson more defensive and considering they have new midfielders i don't think hendo will play as much as last year.
Original post by Qari
Henderson more defensive and considering they have new midfielders i don't think hendo will play as much as last year.

I'd be surprised if he got less than 35 starts next year. He was played as a number 10 for a bit in pre-season, and also got set a target of 10 goals by the manager, I'm quite confident that he'll be a good option to have.
Original post by mccrae01
My current team now, feel free to pass judgement :smile:

I wouldn't have wasyl. Much as I love the bloke, he's a walking red card. Plays like a forearm to the face is a necessary part of tackling.

Anyway, in, will join when I get home

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
I wouldn't have wasyl. Much as I love the bloke, he's a walking red card. Plays like a forearm to the face is a necessary part of tackling.

Anyway, in, will join when I get home

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, to be honest he was just a 4.0 sub to fill the gap but I might change him anyway :smile:
Thanks, to be honest he was just a 4.0 sub to fill the gap but I might change him anyway :smile:

If you're looking for a backup defender I'd go for de laet depending on the price - he's our only senior right back so will be a regular starter, and given he plays more as a wing back than a standard full back, he gets forward quite a bit - good for a couple of goals a season, and a few assists with his crossing, particularly now we've a proper aerial threat in ulloa.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Three Liverpool attackers is overkill, get Sanchez in for one of them definitely

Original post by Alex Doran
Prices change massively every year depending on previous season points totals, previous ownership levels, transfer fees, reputation and basically anything else. If you click on "i" next to the player name and go on the history tab it shows you what price they finished previous seasons at but this is quite different from the prices they started at.
It is rarely a good idea to go for 3 players from the same team in similar positions because they are unlikely to all have a good week and a bad Liverpool game means that nearly 30m of your budget was wasted in 1 week. I would drop Gerrard because, assuming Skrtel gets dropped for Sakho and Lovren, there should be less set piece goals and without Suarez there will be less free kicks and penalties to get goals or assists from.
I think Sterling could be the must have player of the year. He seems to get better every week and he is becoming more of a focal point for the Liverpool attack and he can play almost anywhere. I would love to see him get some game time centrally again this season but unless Rodgers signs a good striker, that is unlikely to happen.
Barring injury; Sturridge, Aguero and Rooney/RVP should be the 3 top scorers this season by a long way and almost no one can afford all 3. Stick with Sturridge and Sterling, drop Gerrard as he will be subbed off more, he will set even deeper (more attacking fullbacks like Moreno) and he will get less set pieces with Suarez gone.

thanks for the advice guys

yeah i took gerrard out, freed up some funds and added in sanchez.
kept sterling because of the same reasons you mentioned above - he is involved in so many of our goals

i don't have more than 2 players from any team - got 2 liverpool united and chelsea, 1 arsenal and 0 city (because of awful starting fixtures)

my team right now is:

courtois...myhill
baines...shaw...cameron...wisdom...bruce
fabregas...sterling...sanchez...el ahmadi...albrighton
sturridge...rooney...bojan

gonna have albrighton, wisdom, bruce on the bench
concerned since i'm gonna have to play el ahmadi in my first team, but i thought that getting the big players (sturridge, rooney, fabregas, sterling, sanchez, shaw, baines, courtois) needed sacrifices in the rest of the team.

suggestions on decent alternatives for cameron/albrighton/el ahmadi/wisdom/bruce would be appreciated though (no more than 4.5m players though please) would be great if anybody has ideas :smile:
Original post by Qari

henderson is actually a great option.

if you watch liverpool play every game like i do, you'll soon learn how important henderson can be.
he is a first team player, he will get a lot of starts next season (especially with his stamina/work rate)
he often makes a lot of midfield runs; he is great for providing assists and getting the odd goal.

he is certainly a better option than people think.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
If you're looking for a backup defender I'd go for de laet depending on the price - he's our only senior right back so will be a regular starter, and given he plays more as a wing back than a standard full back, he gets forward quite a bit - good for a couple of goals a season, and a few assists with his crossing, particularly now we've a proper aerial threat in ulloa.

Posted from TSR Mobile

De Laet slightly more expensive at 4.5mil
Original post by Luke_Mckeown
thanks for the advice guys

yeah i took gerrard out, freed up some funds and added in sanchez.
kept sterling because of the same reasons you mentioned above - he is involved in so many of our goals

i don't have more than 2 players from any team - got 2 liverpool united and chelsea, 1 arsenal and 0 city (because of awful starting fixtures)

my team right now is:

courtois...myhill
baines...shaw...cameron...wisdom...bruce
fabregas...sterling...sanchez...el ahmadi...albrighton
sturridge...rooney...bojan

gonna have albrighton, wisdom, bruce on the bench
concerned since i'm gonna have to play el ahmadi in my first team, but i thought that getting the big players (sturridge, rooney, fabregas, sterling, sanchez, shaw, baines, courtois) needed sacrifices in the rest of the team.

suggestions on decent alternatives for cameron/albrighton/el ahmadi/wisdom/bruce would be appreciated though (no more than 4.5m players though please) would be great if anybody has ideas :smile:

Alex Bruce will not be starting unless there is serious injuries to at least 2 of our other CB's. If you downgrade Sanchez to Ramsey then you can improve at least 1 or 2 of the other options.
If you can get another starting defender at 4m then do because at some point you might need a guaranteed 2 pointer (when FA cup rearranges games) and you don't want to waste a transfer on it.
Stick with Cameron because it looks like he will play and Stoke always have a good defence.
Alex Bruce will not be starting unless there is serious injuries to at least 2 of our other CB's. If you downgrade Sanchez to Ramsey then you can improve at least 1 or 2 of the other options.
If you can get another starting defender at 4m then do because at some point you might need a guaranteed 2 pointer (when FA cup rearranges games) and you don't want to waste a transfer on it.
Stick with Cameron because it looks like he will play and Stoke always have a good defence.

tbh, i thought bruce would be a nailed on starter since his dad is the manager.

in all honesty, i don't see ramsay repeating his form of last season (inb4 arsenal fans mob me)
i think sanchez is worth the extra money simply because he might end up being a midfielder playing as a striker.

yeah, happy with cameron
happy with my team in general, just didn't want a "meh" player in my starting XI
tbh, i thought bruce would be a nailed on starter since his dad is the manager.

in all honesty, i don't see ramsay repeating his form of last season (inb4 arsenal fans mob me)
i think sanchez is worth the extra money simply because he might end up being a midfielder playing as a striker.

yeah, happy with cameron
happy with my team in general, just didn't want a "meh" player in my starting XI

Alex Bruce has not played a single minute of football in his life because of who his dad is. Brucey would not pick players for reasons like that and if anything, it has worked against Alex Bruce. Davies and Chester are definitely a long way ahead of him in the pecking order and Mcguire is almost certainly as well. When fully fit Paul Mcshane is a very good player and is probably ahead of Alex Bruce as well.
Brucey is likely to play 4 at the back this season because we now have much more options in midfield with Snoddy and Ince signing and Brady and Aluko back from injury. I would guess starting defence is
Mcgregor
Elmo - Davies - Chester - Robertson
and throw in Mcguire for when it is 3 at the back. If you can find another 4m defender then definitely do because Alex Bruce will not play regularly at all.
(Please don't look at tonight's team as any indication of a likely starting 11 because it is against Trencin who are crap and half of our team are not eligible to play because they were not available for the first leg so were not put in squad. Players include Robertson, Mcguire, Figueroa and Jelavic, 3 of which are defenders ahead of Bruce.)
De Laet slightly more expensive at 4.5mil

Hmmm, perhaps a bit much for a substitute.

Anyway, in - Filbert Street FC
Will Sagna start regularly in defence for City? Redoing my team again and looking to save on defence with either Zabaleta or Terry and will be keeping Terry for first few fixtures as can see Chelsea keeping clean sheets.

Drafted in Sanchez but might have to take him back out. Can't afford to have him, Rooney, Mata, Lukaku, Sturridge with Zab and Terry at the back. Another £5m would have been lovely to start with.
Alex Bruce has not played a single minute of football in his life because of who his dad is. Brucey would not pick players for reasons like that and if anything, it has worked against Alex Bruce. Davies and Chester are definitely a long way ahead of him in the pecking order and Mcguire is almost certainly as well. When fully fit Paul Mcshane is a very good player and is probably ahead of Alex Bruce as well.
Brucey is likely to play 4 at the back this season because we now have much more options in midfield with Snoddy and Ince signing and Brady and Aluko back from injury. I would guess starting defence is
Mcgregor
Elmo - Davies - Chester - Robertson
and throw in Mcguire for when it is 3 at the back. If you can find another 4m defender then definitely do because Alex Bruce will not play regularly at all.
(Please don't look at tonight's team as any indication of a likely starting 11 because it is against Trencin who are crap and half of our team are not eligible to play because they were not available for the first leg so were not put in squad. Players include Robertson, Mcguire, Figueroa and Jelavic, 3 of which are defenders ahead of Bruce.)

fair enough; if you're so adamant he won't be playing first team, i'll take him out.
interestingly though he's one of the most popular defenders out of them all on people's teams.

it won't matter too much; bruce is my 3rd substitute and only a 4m player, but i'll change if i can

other than that, what do you think of the team i listed above?
i figured going for bigger players rather than making it more even is the way to go to maximise points
fair enough; if you're so adamant he won't be playing first team, i'll take him out.
interestingly though he's one of the most popular defenders out of them all on people's teams.

it won't matter too much; bruce is my 3rd substitute and only a 4m player, but i'll change if i can

other than that, what do you think of the team i listed above?
i figured going for bigger players rather than making it more even is the way to go to maximise points

Rest of the team looks good (MUCH better than before) with a decent attacking line and Bojan could turn out to be a good buy if he starts upfront but I thought he would be behind the striker in which case it is a bit of a risk, depends on how much you will play him.)
I personally prefer to have at least 2 decent enough subs and it is easy enough to get a defensive rotation going at 4.5m each. If you want all the big players then you have to make sacrifices with the rest of the team.
I have never gone all out for big players but lots of people do and you have the option to downgrade after a few weeks if needed. It is easier to get the bandwagon player (Ramsey last year) if you have expensive enough players to swap out rather than take a hit. As long as the big players get enough points, it doesn't matter if your 10th and 11th players only get 2 or 3 a game.
Bojan reminds me a lot of the Anelka pre-bandwagon from last season. Great pre-season with an affordable price tag but then goes on to flop.

There's something about having a Stoke forward in my team that just doesn't feel right!

Rooney and Dzeko are certs for my front line, trying to think who else of Costa/Giroud/Sturridge/Lukaku should take the third spot.
Reply 717
Original post by Isometrix
Bojan reminds me a lot of the Anelka pre-bandwagon from last season. Great pre-season with an affordable price tag but then goes on to flop.

There's something about having a Stoke forward in my team that just doesn't feel right!

Rooney and Dzeko are certs for my front line, trying to think who else of Costa/Giroud/Sturridge/Lukaku should take the third spot.

Currently I've got Costa but I'm debating between Costa & Lukaku
How is everyone's balance?

Currently gone big up front and back 3 with 5.5 keeper. Some punts in midfield. Just doesn't feel quite right.
Rest of the team looks good (MUCH better than before) with a decent attacking line and Bojan could turn out to be a good buy if he starts upfront but I thought he would be behind the striker in which case it is a bit of a risk, depends on how much you will play him.)
I personally prefer to have at least 2 decent enough subs and it is easy enough to get a defensive rotation going at 4.5m each. If you want all the big players then you have to make sacrifices with the rest of the team.
I have never gone all out for big players but lots of people do and you have the option to downgrade after a few weeks if needed. It is easier to get the bandwagon player (Ramsey last year) if you have expensive enough players to swap out rather than take a hit. As long as the big players get enough points, it doesn't matter if your 10th and 11th players only get 2 or 3 a game.

i thought bojan was worth the punt given his price
he hasn't really done well in other leagues, but who's to say he won't get some form at stoke?
honestly i think stoke will have a good year.

yeah, like you said my main concern are subs
if i get lucky and not too many big players get injured/suspended at once, it won't be too bad swapping out
there's only 1 player in my starting XI i'm not happy with (albrighton/el ahmadi), however i feel like i have enough "big" players to counter that

i feel like my team is strong in general - solid keeper, 2 potentially high scoring defenders, several midfielders that are among the best in the league and 2 top strikers

obviously i'm aiming to do well but i would be very happy if my team got me around mid table in the league

Quick Reply

Latest