The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

£15M for Vermaelen, oh Arsene. I think we should either get Nastasić or the Basel guy Schär.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Kruz
£15M for Vermaelen, oh Arsene.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Too good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So now Arsene's going to have to buy a defender, if he can't, would be push Coquelin to defence or promote from the reserves (Bellerin, Miquel, Hayden)?
Original post by shawn_o1
So now Arsene's going to have to buy a defender, if he can't, would be push Coquelin to defence or promote from the reserves (Bellerin, Miquel, Hayden)?

Isn't Chambers his replacement?

Verm only made 7 starts last season, surely Chambers can fill his shoes.
Chambers is a right-back (and the reason why Jenkinson's off on loan)
Sad to see Vermaelen go, he was always one of my favourites, but it's the best decision for all involved. He needs something fresh to get back to his best. He is still one of the best progressive CBs around and in Spain the game will suit him better as well.

If Verm hits form and slots in tactically then £15m for Barca will be good business for them, but saying that he's not much use to us any more so £15m is great business given age etc. I'd have taken £10m.

If Chambers will be a LT CB for us I'd like to get a young physical defender to go with him. Any Tony Adams' coming through atm?
(edited 9 years ago)
Got another Turkish side again

(I don't think there's anything suspicious about their circumstances this time. Last season Arsenal would've made it to CL GS whether they won or not)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Was gutted Feyenoord were knocked out by Besiktas tbh, my brother and I have a long standing ambition to see Arsenal smash them at De Kuip :beer:

The CL qualifier must be a nice little revenue spinner as well when AFC sell 60,000 tickets and then the TV rights etc! Arguably better than going directly into the CL from that perspective

Mmm disagree. The TV pool allocation for money from CL participation drops from 20% down to 10% (difference between 3rd and 4th). I think that 10% is worth about £5million (and will be even bigger next season when the BT CL rights kick in).

Selling 60k tickets will generate £3mil but then there's a lot of associated costs which will eat into any profit. Not sure how much you get for tv rights for those 2 games. I can't imagine it's huge and it might already be packed into the tv rights bundle with just a small element being paid to the club for being shown on tv. I think for the Premier League it's £750,000 per TV appearance.
Original post by Zerforax
Mmm disagree. The TV pool allocation for money from CL participation drops from 20% down to 10% (difference between 3rd and 4th). I think that 10% is worth about £5million (and will be even bigger next season when the BT CL rights kick in).

Selling 60k tickets will generate £3mil but then there's a lot of associated costs which will eat into any profit. Not sure how much you get for tv rights for those 2 games. I can't imagine it's huge and it might already be packed into the tv rights bundle with just a small element being paid to the club for being shown on tv. I think for the Premier League it's £750,000 per TV appearance.

Not worth anywhere near £5m, the winners barely get £50m.
Reply 2750
Original post by barneystin
Isn't Chambers his replacement?

Verm only made 7 starts last season, surely Chambers can fill his shoes.

Nah Wenger had made it clear that if Verm leaves he will be replaced
I honestly LOL every time Zurich chats ****, vying with Butty for the best troll that this forum has
Original post by Zerforax
Barca/Real Madrid have a ridiculous model that has the need to show they are the biggest club in La Liga/the world. Typically this is done with a marquee signing.

When Neymar was bought, it pretty much spelt the end of Fabregas truth be told. Messi is always going to play central for the next few years when he's fit since he's the best in the world in that position. If you had hardworking wingers on the flanks then Fabregas could play behind Messi and you attack through the middle.

I disagree here.

The problem with Fabregas is Iniesta and Messi. Not just about attacking through the middle. He can play in a 4-3-3 too, it's just that he likes to be the most advanced but Iniesta is the most advanced central midfielder.
However as soon as Neymar came in, Barca were going to revert to a 4-3-3. Even moreso this summer with the purchase of Suarez - there will be a attacking front three which then requires a solid and creative midfield trio.

Fabregas doesn't fall into that properly tbh. He's best quality is the vertical - pushing from deep and going into attacking positions. Barca need horizontal quality to cover the middle of the park while that ridiculous trio in front do their magic. Busquets, Iniesta, Mascherano, Rakitic etc all fall within that and suit the system better.

4-3-3 ain't the problem, if you say that his best quality is vertical in pushing from deep and going to attacking positions then he suits 4-3-3 more than 4-2-3-1 anyway, the whole point of a 4-3-3 central midfielder is being able to push forward into space. Fabregas would love that more so than a 4-2-3-1. Fab has a free role in the 4-2-3-1 which is why he did so well but you could make him play Lampards position and he'll do well as well personally.
Barca don't even need a plan B in Fabregas since each of Messi, Neymar and Suarez can and will play through the middle or two could play with one playing off the other etc.

Hmm I disagree here, still a problem with strength and height, Suarez rectifies that to an extent I guess but honestly they could have done with a no.9 as a plan B, Messi, Neymar and Suarez pretty much occupy the same space and it can go either perfectly or very pear shaped for this reason, meaning they keep on relying on extra high up wing backs and then being thrashed subsequently Arsenal style(although they have pace tbf so can just score more goals to make up for it). I'd assume Rakitic is better defensively than Fabregas too which allows the front three to not bother as much in tracking back. Suarez attacking qualities will be negated if he's sacrificed for defensive work on the wing and same for Neymar.

Personally if I was Barca I'd have just got a box to box midfielder(who's mobile and can play in Xavi's position) and a big no.9 up top. Guess they've sort of done that tbf.
Reply 2753
15m for Verm is very good business imo. I didn't like using him as back up because he tended to be quite a liability at times (along with Monreal)
Original post by SHOO
Nah Wenger had made it clear that if Verm leaves he will be replaced

oh.

i hope we get someone unknown from Ligue 2.

since the arrival of ozil, sanchez and spending £26m on rightbacks in one window, I just hope Arsene doesn't stray too far from his roots.
oh.

since the arrival of ozil, sanchez and spending £26m on rightbacks in one window, I just hope Arsene doesn't stray too far from his roots.

We did £30m net last summer, and this summer because of Cesc/Vela/Djourou/Vermaelen we're at about £23m net whilst absolutely taking an ax to the dead wood on the wage bill.

We've got more cash reserves than any club in Europe though Wenger-nomics and just upgraded our sponsor deals by £50m/annum.

We've spent peanuts in other words. But Wenger's biggest talent is recognising unspotted talent so I hope he keeps looking at those gems too :smile:
Reply 2756
oh.

It's a shame really though..

Verm was sucha good back up CB to have, and was a really good leader too (when he was a regular)

Poor guy just had a serious dip in form and just couldn't find any way to break the kosc - merta partnership. A player of his quality needs game time to pick up his form again..

Ah well, I think a move away suits all parties here.

Also, isn't it an initial £10m offer from barca, and then united put in a better offer for £15m?

Edit: scrap that last part ^^ I just saw the updates on sky lol
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by shawn_o1

Miquel is terrible he shouldn't be anywhere near Arsenal. Hayden is good but it may still be a little bit too soon for him to be in the first team.

Posted from TSR Mobile
CB must be lined up as Vermaelen has been on his way out for ages.

Then a DM and it's a good window

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest