The Student Room Group

As a new Driver how much did you pay for Insurance?

I'm 18 and live In a high risk area. on an average car my insurance is £5000 yearly.

Please explain how much you payed and how old you were. Just fill in the form below.
For the "area'' Section Put down where you lived when you got insured the first time like London, Manchester, Glasgow etc. For age put down how old you were when you got insured are first time. For ''other'' Put down anything else you think I should know. for "when'' Put which year you first got insured.
Remember this is for when you were a new driver.

Car :
Insurance type :
Insurance cost :
Area :
Other :
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Car : Nissan Micra
Insurance type : Black box fully comp
Insurance cost : £860
Area : Plymouth
When: 2 years ago
Other : 2 parents on as named drivers
Car : Ford Fiesta 1.25L Freestyle (2002)
Insurance type : Fully Comprehensive
Insurance cost : £1400
Area : Oxfordshire
When : 3 years ago
Other : Wasn't the main driver, I was a named driver under my parents' policy for the first year. I became the main driver the following year and it was £500.
Reply 3
Original post by live_a_life
Car : Ford Fiesta 1.25L Freestyle (2002)
Insurance type : Fully Comprehensive
Insurance cost : £1400
Area : Oxfordshire
When : 3 years ago
Other : Wasn't the main driver, I was a named driver under my parents' policy for the first year. I became the main driver the following year and it was £500.

£500 a year or £1400 + £500. If it's £500 then that's cheap for your age.
Original post by mxcvii
£500 a year or £1400 + £500. If it's £500 then that's cheap for your age.

£500 for 10 months. Forgot to mention that, sorry!
Reply 5
Are you interested in people looking at insurance, too? I assume it's just the general price you're interested in.

Car : Peugeot 306 1.9L D Turbo (Adding in a tracker, non standard alarm and remote immobilizer. No other modifications. I was hoping to do up the interior, but even just upholstery would add a few hundred to my insurance) 1998 5 door hatchback model, so the value of the vehicle is only around £350, with the excess at £300 (£100 mandatory, £200 voluntary).

Insurance type : Comp

Insurance cost : £2,400 (The absolute cheapest I have found so far, with black box. No black box is around £300 more. Not done a tonne of looking, so may be a little cheaper) - may be slightly less if I requote via phone, according to insurers websites. My dad's considering moving insurers to get a multi-car discount though, as I have a twin, who is looking to get the same car as me. Will update if it's a substantial difference.

Area :
Calne (Wiltshire); it's a pretty small town, and fairly quiet, though the only parking I have available is a public car park right behind my house.

16 at the moment, 17 on quote. (Have also put down to have just passed, though with pass plus.)

When:
Current.

Other :
Dad, who has been driving for 45 years, as an extra driver. Considering adding a couple family friends too, who are also good drivers (have a 3 extra drivers max) depending on how it affects the cost, but the current cost posted is just with the one.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Does adding named driver that have experience reduce the cost of insurance?
Reply 7
Original post by mxcvii
Does adding named driver that have experience reduce the cost of insurance?

I believe so. Been told it's fairly common knowledge. :P I didn't know though. It's completely legal too, even if they never actually drive the thing, apparently.

Females are also better. So, if you can get your mum, your aunt and your gran to agree to be named drivers, I'd assume you'd see some improvements (as long as they have good driving records, that is!) Of course, as ever, depends on the insurer. I've been told it's a lot, which, if it is, with my dad on it who has been driving for 45 years and has never been caught committing a motoring offense, I'd hate to see what mine would be like without him on it. Already having to consider going for the 1.4 petrol version instead... :frown:

When I add try adding the family friends, I'll try to remember to come back here and say if I see a difference from having multiple ones, too. Just too worn out to go through all the hassle again right now.
(edited 9 years ago)
Car : 83 Austin Metro 1.0L
Insurance type : Full
Insurance cost : £240
Area : Cumnor Hill, Oxfordshire.
When: 1993 :smile:
Other : I had my then girlfriend as a named driver.

Oh yeah we thought it was extortionate :tongue:
Car : Vectra 2.0 DTi

Insurance type : Fully comp

Insurance cost : £600

Area : West Midlands

When: 2 years ago (nearly)

Other :

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Everyone lives in Oxfordshire lol and the insurance is super cheap there.
(edited 9 years ago)
Car : 2002 VW Polo
Insurance type :Fully Comp
Insurance cost :£1500(first year with box), currently £700 without box
Area :Central London
When:2 years
Other : Had 2 others as named drivers
Reply 12
Original post by MrWhosane
Car : Vectra 2.0 DTi

Insurance type : Fully comp

Insurance cost : £600

Area : West Midlands

When: 2 years ago (nearly)

Other :

Posted from TSR Mobile

Damn, who were you insured with & were you on multi car discount?

£600 seems incredible to me.
Original post by Beizs
Damn, who were you insured with & were you on multi car discount?

£600 seems incredible to me.

Seems impossible to me but maybe he got very, very fortunate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by live_a_life
Seems impossible to me but maybe he got very, very fortunate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You speak as if it's down to luck.

Cheap insurance is available if you know where to look and how to go about it.

Paying £450 atm and I'm 19 with 0 NCB. With Allianz.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Beizs
I believe so. Been told it's fairly common knowledge. :P I didn't know though. It's completely legal too, even if they never actually drive the thing, apparently.

Females are also better. So, if you can get your mum, your aunt and your gran to agree to be named drivers, I'd assume you'd see some improvements (as long as they have good driving records, that is!) Of course, as ever, depends on the insurer. I've been told it's a lot, which, if it is, with my dad on it who has been driving for 45 years and has never been caught committing a motoring offense, I'd hate to see what mine would be like without him on it. Already having to consider going for the 1.4 petrol version instead... :frown:

When I add try adding the family friends, I'll try to remember to come back here and say if I see a difference from having multiple ones, too. Just too worn out to go through all the hassle again right now.

This shouldnt have any effect on the insurance.

My dad brings down the cost as a named driver more than my mum does.
Car: Vauxhall Corsa 1.0L (about 20yrs old)
Insurance type: fully comp
Insurance cost: £2200
Area: Lincolnshire
When: 2012
Other: My partner was the main driver, this was within his first year of driving with me added as a learner. On his own it would have cost £4000.
Original post by mxcvii
I'm 18 and live In a high risk area. on an average car my insurance is £5000 yearly.

Please explain how much you payed and how old you were. Just fill in the form below.
For the "area'' Section Put down where you lived when you got insured the first time like London, Manchester, Glasgow etc. For age put down how old you were when you got insured are first time. For ''other'' Put down anything else you think I should know. for "when'' Put which year you first got insured.
Remember this is for when you were a new driver.

Car :
Insurance type :
Insurance cost :
Area :
Other :

Car : Renault Clio, 16V 1.2
Insurance type : Full comp (I think)
Insurance cost : £1500
Area : Lancashire
When: Don't really understand this bit, but on my 19th birthday in March of this year is when I first got insured!
2005 Clio 1.2
18 at the time
Cheshire/Warrington
2900 fully comp with blackbox

Posted from TSR Mobile
Car : Micra Visia 1.2 58 plate
Insurance type : fully comp + telematics
Insurance cost : £809.72
Area : Bradford
When: a week ago
Other : not even lying.

Quick Reply