The Student Room Group

I got crap as grades :(

D overall for maths edexcel core 1-B core2-C M1-C
D for chem ocr A - I can't believe I got a C for unit 1 which I thought I would get at least a B/A and unit 2 I got E and coursework B
I got E for physics ocr both exams E and c for coursework
C for ocr biology
I don't wanna retake the whole year :frown: just retake few units but I won't be able to apply to med but for other courses I won't get into a good uni as I will be getting crap predicted grades wat shud I do
Should I work rlly hard and get better grades at end of A2 and go through adjustment I don't know wat course to do yet
Please help

Scroll to see replies

retaken the year isn't that bad tbh or you can just work hard this year and go through adjustment
You need to look deep and question why did this happen. ? I think you are right about the poor grades being predicted not attracting university offers next year. If there is a good reason for your grades, illness during course, turmoil at home that won't rep next year it's a different situation to you just aren't suited to this. My child has had the thing happen and she is planning to start year 12 again doing totally different subjects at a different school. Talk with teachers for their views
Reply 3
I think I just need to retake c2 and unit 2 chem and unit 1 and 2 physics so can't I just do this in A2
And if I just have a good ps and make my teachers predict Bs?
I'm not sure you have questioned why this happened. What will change that will make such a dramatic improvement to your grades . Is your understanding of the fundamentals of these subjects enough to thrive next year ? It's not a fruit machine where another spin could give a different result. There could be sound reasons as to why you can improve so much and your plans for the future are realistic.
^^^this.
Reply 6
I'm going to retake as year and try to get Better grades I know I can and I know why I flopped my exams the flopped the exams worth 50% I know I can get the A so I'm gonna retake the year and maybe apply for med Inuit not sure which unis allow as year retake
Reply 7
here's the list of medical school policies on resits, sadly there are only a couple open to you unless you have extenuating circumstances. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Resit_Policies
good luck
You don't need to go into details, but saying I know I can get better grades need some sound planning and justification. You weren't just a dash short of what you though but a lot short.
Reply 9
Do u know which medical unis don't mind retaking as year
You don't want to be in this position next year, something needs to change and change a lot, that could be your school your course your personal circumstances be realistic be and ask those hard questions of yourself. If you do that still want to retake at least you have a plan and not blind faith
Reply 11
You have chosen what some would say are difficult A-levels. As it stands you have CDDE and realistically if you chose to continue and try harder at A2, the chances are, you would bump your overall grades to BCCD or perhaps BBC if you drop something. I would not say its a wise option to resit your AS level at the same time as doing your A2.

My advice would be to retake Y12. I understand that is not something you may have seen yourself doing and getting into medicine straight after sixth form isn't going to happen now with your current grades.
You really need to think if you are capable of doing science a levels (bad start in college at first, didnt know how to jump the A-level exam hoops at first etc.) if so then yes retake Y12 and do them again (and see which med schools are okay with this)......if not then consider other A-levels and go for another degree perhaps. Then later on you could consider doing that 4 year postgrad medicine course or go for another career in perhaps Law for example.

I'd like to point out that I did terrible at Y12. I just had a rocky start, I didn't choose the right courses/didn't know exam technique (I blame my school partly for this) and sort of regretted my choice of sixth form and courses midway through my exams but I tried to soldier on. In A2 I then did lots of resits and did pull up my grades considerably but still not enough to meet my offers. It was a very messy business basically.

After Y13...I decided to do a new Alevel in a year by going to sixth form again and that along with my previous grades helped me get into a Russell Group uni to study economics. I graduated with a 2:1 and now I'm on a grad scheme :smile: All worked out in the end! So don't let this failure get you down. You're only a failure if you don't learn from mistakes.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Pottonski
You don't want to be in this position next year, something needs to change and change a lot, that could be your school your course your personal circumstances be realistic be and ask those hard questions of yourself. If you do that still want to retake at least you have a plan and not blind faith

Yeah I'm going to retake the year :smile:
Coolgamer seems to have just completely ignored the sound advice from pottonski.

Coolgamer you didn't do well, why is that? Because if you don't identify why you did awfully you will do awfully again in your re-sit year and you will only have yourself to blame.
Reply 14
CDDE to ABC
Hey I got CDDE at AS level. D in maths, E in physics.
I resat almost all modules during A2 and come out with A in maths (87% average) and C in physics (9 ums off a B). I also got B in my other subject.
So basically I would say carry on and work extremely hard during A2.
Original post by SophieSmall
Coolgamer seems to have just completely ignored the sound advice from pottonski.

Coolgamer you didn't do well, why is that? Because if you don't identify why you did awfully you will do awfully again in your re-sit year and you will only have yourself to blame.

Good luck cool gamer sorry you haven't taken what I said on board
Reply 16
Original post by Siraaj
CDDE to ABC
Hey I got CDDE at AS level. D in maths, E in physics.
I resat almost all modules during A2 and come out with A in maths (87% average) and C in physics (9 ums off a B). I also got B in my other subject.
So basically I would say carry on and work extremely hard during A2.

If you don't mind, would you please tell me which uni did you get into?
Reply 17
Original post by Bohoau
If you don't mind, would you please tell me which uni did you get into?

Aston Uni to do mechanical engineering. I know its not the best but because of my crap AS grades I didn't have much of a choice when picking my uni's. However they did want ABB-BBB.
Reply 18
Original post by Luxray
You have chosen what some would say are difficult A-levels. As it stands you have CDDE and realistically if you chose to continue and try harder at A2, the chances are, you would bump your overall grades to BCCD or perhaps BBC if you drop something. I would not say its a wise option to resit your AS level at the same time as doing your A2.

My advice would be to retake Y12. I understand that is not something you may have seen yourself doing and getting into medicine straight after sixth form isn't going to happen now with your current grades.
You really need to think if you are capable of doing science a levels (bad start in college at first, didnt know how to jump the A-level exam hoops at first etc.) if so then yes retake Y12 and do them again (and see which med schools are okay with this)......if not then consider other A-levels and go for another degree perhaps. Then later on you could consider doing that 4 year postgrad medicine course or go for another career in perhaps Law for example.

I'd like to point out that I did terrible at Y12. I just had a rocky start, I didn't choose the right courses/didn't know exam technique (I blame my school partly for this) and sort of regretted my choice of sixth form and courses midway through my exams but I tried to soldier on. In A2 I then did lots of resits and did pull up my grades considerably but still not enough to meet my offers. It was a very messy business basically.

After Y13...I decided to do a new Alevel in a year by going to sixth form again and that along with my previous grades helped me get into a Russell Group uni to study economics. I graduated with a 2:1 and now I'm on a grad scheme :smile: All worked out in the end! So don't let this failure get you down. You're only a failure if you don't learn from mistakes.

I'm gonna not do physics and change it to a different subject something that interests me ...
Reply 19
Original post by Luxray

So I can still go into a top/good uni without extenuating circumstances and if I achieve good results? For a normal course like neuroscience? Optometry?

Quick Reply

Latest