The Student Room Group

Will a C at AS make my application weak?

I'm applying to do Maths and I have AABC at AS with the C in History. I'm planning on dropping it next year but I'm worried it might look bad on my UCAS application? I got an A in Maths btw

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I got the same prob:s-smilie:
Reply 2
Put it down, most unis want 3 and 1/2 A-levels (3 A-Levels and an AS). Plus if you apply to somewhere that then gives you an offer in points rather than grades, your AS will count towards getting in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zee600
I got the same prob:s-smilie:

what subjects do you take?

Original post by Cdawg5
Put it down, most unis want 3 and 1/2 A-levels (3 A-Levels and an AS). Plus if you apply to somewhere that then gives you an offer in points rather than grades, your AS will count towards getting in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will do!
Reply 4
Physics, biology, chemistry and maths.... got the C in physics...going 2 drop it ofcourse!
Original post by lightningdoritos
I'm applying to do Maths and I have AABC at AS with the C in History. I'm planning on dropping it next year but I'm worried it might look bad on my UCAS application? I got an A in Maths btw

Definitely not! Especially as you got an A in Maths (what you want to do!) Universities will know that most students drop one A Level and so looking at your grades will presume that you shall drop History making only the AAB relevant!

I got AAAC in my A Levels when applying for law with my C also in History, re-sat it and pulled it up to an A but when applying admitted my C and it seemed to have zero bearing on my offers!
Reply 6
Good :smile: I even put down a D in a short course GCSE in Personal Economics haha :P I think it's best to put everything you have even if it sounds a bit naff because it all helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by barristertobe91
Definitely not! Especially as you got an A in Maths (what you want to do!) Universities will know that most students drop one A Level and so looking at your grades will presume that you shall drop History making only the AAB relevant!

I got AAAC in my A Levels when applying for law with my C also in History, re-sat it and pulled it up to an A but when applying admitted my C and it seemed to have zero bearing on my offers!

That seems fair enough! May I ask which unis you applied to? :smile:
Original post by zee600
Physics, biology, chemistry and maths.... got the C in physics...going 2 drop it ofcourse!

You're kinda lucky because you have other science subjects to 'boost' your application but I don't haha
Reply 9
Original post by barristertobe91

Wats the use of the 4th subject then?!
Original post by zee600

well I originally didn't know what I wanted to do at uni but I though History would keep my options open (was originally gonna do Law)

Only a select few (I'd say Cambridge, Imperial & Oxford) MAY have a problem with it.

Other than that, I think you can apply pretty much anywhere and get an offer with a decent personal statement. Depends more on what you are predicted by your teachers now, they should meet your university choices' entry criterias :smile:
Reply 12
well I originally didn't know what I wanted to do at uni but I though History would keep my options open (was originally gonna do Law)

Ya dats y I took phy too..thot of medicine
But It shud hav some impact on yor uni application. ? Ryt?
Reply 13
No it's fine as long as the subject you did your worst in isn't related to your degree course. I got a U in Textiles whilst I applied for History, but I still got offers. The personal statement is an extremely important factor in the application process too.

don't worry at all ~ i got a C in maths at AS and still managed to get into a top university :smile:
Reply 15

Tbh, I wouldn't say so... I got offers from UCL and Warwick with a C at AS, which I dropped, and I know many other friends had grades like AABD and got offers from UCL and the top London unis, so don't worry too much :smile:
Well if it has been cashed in you HAVE to put it down, that is the UCAS rule.

No, it will not look weak as long as:

1) your predicted grades meet or exceed the course typical offer
2) your real AS grades (which are great by the way) are fairly close to the typical offer (e.g. you could comfortable apply to AAA courses with that).

I would avoid applying to Cambridge/Oxford personally, as I don't think you'd have a great shot at interview. You do have a good shot at other elite universities though, IMO.

Good luck :smile:
It will make little difference. My friend in the yeAr above, she got AAAC at AS with the C in Art. She got an offer from Cambridge to study History last year.
thanks for the advice people, I'll work on the Personal Statement and try and get an A* for Maths next year
Original post by zee600

The 4th subject gives you the opportunity to take the jump from GCSE and AS. If you're applying to a uni with UCAS points then it helps but ultimately your university offer will only be three grades. I carried all four of my subjects on to A2 and whilst I got A*A*AA- my offers only asked AAA of me!

Quick Reply

Latest