The Student Room Group

Does the 4th AS (that you will drop) matter in terms of what grade it is?

So I got AACE, I'm dropping the E (physics). Having just checked now, Warwick for example require a C for the 4th AS.

Do universities like UCL also require this? I know that most unis want a pass and E is a pass but maybe I should pick up an AS?
If the 4th subject is related to the area you're looking to study, then they probably would care. If you're applying for Maths and you get an E in AS Physics, it definitely wouldn't rule out an offer but it would raise eyebrows. Other than that, obviously it's better if you get a good grade, but I don't think they'd care too much.

The E at AS would fulful UCL's entry requirements of 3 A2s + 1 AS pass. Obviously, the above goes for UCL too.
Original post by Chlorophile
If the 4th subject is related to the area you're looking to study, then they probably would care. If you're applying for Maths and you get an E in AS Physics, it definitely wouldn't rule out an offer but it would raise eyebrows. Other than that, obviously it's better if you get a good grade, but I don't think they'd care too much.

The E at AS would fulful UCL's entry requirements of 3 A2s + 1 AS pass. Obviously, the above goes for UCL too.

I'm planning on either Law or Psychology so both are unrelated to Physics. Would you recommend me picking up an extra AS? I was thinking either R.E. or Economics.
Original post by orphan_black
So I got AACE, I'm dropping the E (physics). Having just checked now, Warwick for example require a C for the 4th AS.

Do universities like UCL also require this? I know that most unis want a pass and E is a pass but maybe I should pick up an AS?

I got the same as you - an E in chem though. None of the uni's (including Russel group) cared :tongue:
Original post by bubble999
I got the same as you - an E in chem though. None of the uni's (including Russel group) cared :tongue:

Ah thanks! If you don't mind me asking, what subjects did you do, what degree are you doing and where did you apply? So picking up an extra AS would be a waste of time, no? :biggrin:
Ah thanks! If you don't mind me asking, what subjects did you do, what degree are you doing and where did you apply? So picking up an extra AS would be a waste of time, no? :biggrin:

Bio, English and Psychology, and Chem at AS. Applied to Sheffield, Newcastle, Manchester and then two Met Unis. Speech therapy (which in it's self is competitive) Well, you don't want to pick up another AS and that cause you do have less time for A2 subjects and hence get lower grades. But it's up to you - if you enjoy the subject, go for it :smile:
Bio, English and Psychology, and Chem at AS. Applied to Sheffield, Newcastle, Manchester and then two Met Unis. Speech therapy (which in it's self is competitive. Well, you don't want to pick up another AS and that cause you do have less time for A2 subjects and hence get lower grades. But it's up to you - if you enjoy the subject, go for it :smile:

Oh cool! Well I absolutely loved R.E. at GCSE and continuously excelled at it and I'm super tight with the department (my R.E. teacher even shouted at me for not picking it!) so it's definitely an option. How would you go about mentioning it in your personal statement though? :confused:
Oh cool! Well I absolutely loved R.E. at GCSE and continuously excelled at it and I'm super tight with the department (my R.E. teacher even shouted at me for not picking it!) so it's definitely an option. How would you go about mentioning it in your personal statement though? :confused:

And to add to that, I got offers from all but Sheffield (got to interview stage though, so it wasn't due to grades).

Ooh, sounds good then :h: Hmm, well I didn't even mention Chem in my PS - only mention those subjects which are relevant. The characters on your PS are precious and you need to use them wisely :tongue: But I see you want to do Law or Psychology? So mention R.E and mention essay skills, ethics etc. :smile:

I got an E in Chem AS but don't want to give it up because the Biology course I want to do requires it. Do you think I should resit it and carry on? I've had deaths in the family this year and it's been difficult. :frown:
And to add to that, I got offers from all but Sheffield (got to interview stage though, so it wasn't due to grades).

Ooh, sounds good then :h: Hmm, well I didn't even mention Chem in my PS - only mention those subjects which are relevant. The characters on your PS are precious and you need to use them wisely :tongue: But I see you want to do Law or Psychology? So mention R.E and mention essay skills, ethics etc. :smile:
Yeah I'm still debating whether to do Law or Psychology :/ I'll speak to the R.E. department when I get back and ask if I can hop on (and if my timetable won't have any clashes)! Thank you :biggrin:
Original post by All_TheCyanide
I got an E in Chem AS but don't want to give it up because the Biology course I want to do requires it. Do you think I should resit it and carry on? I've had deaths in the family this year and it's been difficult. :frown:

Woo for an E :five: But hmm, was it one particular exam, or low grades across the board? Obviously it's completely up to you, but apparently it gets 10 times harder at A2 and even those with As at AS struggled at A2. What are your other subjects?

Sorry to hear that - I can relate to it and know how difficult it is :hugs:
Woo for an E :five: But hmm, was it one particular exam, or low grades across the board? Obviously it's completely up to you, but apparently it gets 10 times harder at A2 and even those with As at AS struggled at A2. What are your other subjects?

Sorry to hear that - I can relate to it and know how difficult it is :hugs:

Low grades in both. :frown: My other subjects are Biology, English Lit Lang and History. I feel that with History gone, I'll have a lot more time to concentrate on Chemistry. I've already started A2 Chem work (they made us go back to school after our exams and do A2 work, and I've been studying at home).

:hugs: Chemistry is really difficult.
Low grades in both. :frown: My other subjects are Biology, English Lit Lang and History. I feel that with History gone, I'll have a lot more time to concentrate on Chemistry. I've already started A2 Chem work (they made us go back to school after our exams and do A2 work, and I've been studying at home).

I tried convincing my physics teacher back in September to let me change from physics to chemistry but he flat out refused (because I got an A* at physics). I regretted not taking chemistry for the rest of the year until all my friends got Es, Ds, and Cs :/ Not that I got a higher grade with physics but still!
I tried convincing my physics teacher back in September to let me change from physics to chemistry but he flat out refused (because I got an A* at physics). I regretted not taking chemistry for the rest of the year until all my friends got Es, Ds, and Cs :/ Not that I got a higher grade with physics but still!

Ironically, I was the same with physics (except I didn't ask to change to physics and my chemistry teachers hate me so they'd be glad to see me go).

The problem with Chemistry for me is that it's so elitist. I hate that attitude. I think there needs to be more support. :frown:

Ah okay, well maybe best to drop it. Uni's will know you have had chem experience so be a better applicant than those with no AS in Chem :smile: Speak to your teachers, they know best and will have seen this a lot! Best of luck with it, you can do it :h:

Yeah, they are both very difficult :afraid:

Quick Reply

Latest