The Student Room Group

Which Unis should I apply to for Comp Sci?

Hi

I recently got AAAB (Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry respectively) in my AS levels and have the tough choice of choosing universities soon. At the moment I'm thinking of applying to Oxford, Bristol, Bath, Cardiff and Southampton/Exeter and believe I could get a predicted A* in maths due to 100 UMS in both C1 and C2 Maths modules.

Which universities would you experienced people say are in the 'top 10-15'?
I've looked at the complete university guide and other tables such as the guardian but these don't seem to be accurate representation as (I may be biased so take with a pinch of salt) in my mind, St. Andrews does not seem to be as good for Computer Science, but as I mentioned that could just be me.

Quick EDIT: Might I just add that obviously I know that most of it is personal opinion on what they want from a university so obviously no university can definitively be the best for everything, I'm just looking to branch out my spectrum of unis to look at and want to hear from you all.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey,

All of those unis are very good for computer science. I recommend you apply for Oxford, Bath, Bristol, Exeter and Newcastle/ Cardiff, respectively, as they will offer you a good array of top unis. Honestly, all of those unis are very good and will be very desirable for any employer.

I'm hoping to apply to Cambridge, Imperial, Newcastle, Bath and Manchester, respectively, for chemical engineering. What appealed to me most was desirability, reputation and the uni itself - I'm not too fussed about course content, as long as I finish with an MEng in chemical engineering.

Prioritise what you want from uni, then look at all the aforementioned unis' websites, and then see which has all of the above.

Best of luck!
Ah yeah I have a similar view to you with the whole desirability and reputation, though 2 A*s for Imperial and Cambridge seems far more daunting than "only" (:eek:) 1 A* for oxford.

I've heard Newcastle and Manchester a lot recently in CS discussions and so will definitely give them more of a look into, thought atm I don't know the specifics on why they're a must (other than Newcastle's ridiculous night life)

Cheers!
Reply 3
Original post by benny1152
Ah yeah I have a similar view to you with the whole desirability and reputation, though 2 A*s for Imperial and Cambridge seems far more daunting than "only" (:eek:) 1 A* for oxford.

I've heard Newcastle and Manchester a lot recently in CS discussions and so will definitely give them more of a look into, thought atm I don't know the specifics on why they're a must (other than Newcastle's ridiculous night life)

Cheers!

Imperial is A*AA for CS, it's only A*A*A if you're applying for JMC. Newcastle and Manchester are decent but definitely not a must for any CS student.
Original post by benny1152
Hi
I'm thinking of applying to Oxford, Bristol, Bath, Cardiff and Southampton/Exeter and believe I could get a predicted A* in maths due to 100 UMS in both C1 and C2 Maths modules.

*waves*. Feel free to get in touch if you have any questions. Good luck! And congratulations on the AS results.
Why Oxford over Cambridge? Average UMS at AS, particularly over maths units? A* count at GCSE? I'm under the impression Cambridge care a bit more about AS UMS whereas Oxford care a bit more about GCSE performance. Of course, if you're equally strong on both counts and have reasons for Oxford in particular then by all means go for it.
St Andrews
Imperial
Southampton
Cambridge
Birmingham
Original post by Indivicivet
Why Oxford over Cambridge? Average UMS at AS, particularly over maths units? A* count at GCSE? I'm under the impression Cambridge care a bit more about AS UMS whereas Oxford care a bit more about GCSE performance. Of course, if you're equally strong on both counts and have reasons for Oxford in particular then by all means go for it.

Well for starters Cambridge is an entire A* more (A*A*A) where I'm predicted A*AA (Oxford's requirements). I reached 100 UMS in C1 and C2 and got 92 in S1 - my 3 most notable modules. at GCSE I achieved 7A*s and 4As

Also, I just generally preferred Oxford when I went to the open day as it felt a lot more friendly and inviting than Cambridge who seemingly had a carefree attitude (due to knowing they have to do no work to get students to apply there). I also preferred the city of Oxford and just most things in general.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending