The Student Room Group

Anyone Else In Love With Another Country/Culture?

Scroll to see replies

The USA! Love it, want to travel it so badly! Been 4 times but only to the big cities and would love to explore the smaller towns across the states.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Impressive Japanese :h: I can read hiragana and katakana but that's about it atm, so some of that I recognise

It's actually pretty rudimentary, so I'm talking to Japanese friends most days to help keep the progress up. I'm a better reader than writer, though.

You'll want to get started on kanji ASAP. :holmes: Over 2000 characters complete with their own various on and kun readings, and more besides that. You can find a list of the most common kanji almost anywhere online.
Original post by GnomeMage
you probably dont want to go to japan now. they have a right wing government in power now.

So?
Original post by Meyrin
So?

lol
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Meyrin
It's actually pretty rudimentary, so I'm talking to Japanese friends most days to help keep the progress up. I'm a better reader than writer, though.

You'll want to get started on kanji ASAP. :holmes: Over 2000 characters complete with their own various on and kun readings, and more besides that. You can find a list of the most common kanji almost anywhere online.

I've started it and I can recognise some of them, like the person and the woman Kanji, but remembering the readings AND how to pronounce them is really hard :/ I have a book called "Japanese for busy people" which is really good.

Where did you learn, if you don't mind me asking (I assume you're not Japanese yourself from what you've said)

I can speak very broken Japanese enough to make myself understood in shops when paying for things/ordering stuff but I'm trying to improve
Original post by GnomeMage
First there are humans, then there are animals , and then there is something in between called the Jap.

Quote from some american WWII veteran.

I'm not even going to dignify that with an answer.

I can only assume you're a troll.
Reply 26
Original post by Meyrin

I wouldn't bother replying, looking at their thread history. Reported them for racism.
Original post by Meyrin

you can do a little google work and find out why the americans say so.

the last time i posted them on here i got banned for gore pictures lol

even the mods find it hard to take.
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
I've started it and I can recognise some of them, like the person and the woman Kanji, but remembering the readings AND how to pronounce them is really hard :/ I have a book called "Japanese for busy people" which is really good.

Where did you learn, if you don't mind me asking (I assume you're not Japanese yourself from what you've said)

I can speak very broken Japanese enough to make myself understood in shops when paying for things/ordering stuff but I'm trying to improve

and 女? Yes, they get ingrained into your brain very quickly. As well as (man) and (child.)

Isn't the reading and pronunciation the same thing? Or do you mean their English equivalent? It is difficult, and honestly I find myself forgetting on readings quite a lot. But once you get into the habit of reading more, you'll find yourself remembering them more easily. For example, the on reading of (heart) is "shin" - coming across common words containing like 中心 (chuushin) and 心配 (shinpai) as you go along will help that stick better.

I teach myself and I've never really used any programs (e.g. Rosetta Stone) so I can't soundly recommend anything.
I am obsessed with different accents and learning new cultures, would love to travel the whole world some day. So all cultures haha:smile:

If I had to choose it would be Spain or America. I love the US and is a dream to have a road trip throughout most (preferably all) of the US. I also love Spain, the language, people, food (paella!:h: ) and everything else!
South Korean culture.
The music, the food, the dramas, the language <3 I'm currently trying to learn Hangul but I keep stopping and starting so I'm not getting anywhere :angry:
Original post by thechemistress
South Korean culture.
The music, the food, the dramas, the language <3 I'm currently trying to learn Hangul but I keep stopping and starting so I'm not getting anywhere :angry:

I struggled quite a bit with hangul at first.

Maybe this can help you: http://www.zkorean.com/hangul/appearance
Original post by Meyrin
I struggled quite a bit with hangul at first.

Maybe this can help you: http://www.zkorean.com/hangul/appearance

Thanks, this is really helpful :biggrin:
JAPAN :love:
INDIAAAAA....they are truly unique ....their clothes(saris!), food, meditation techniques, songs etc
I am not one, personally, but i think their culture is just...wow
Argentina :heart:
As my username indicates I'm learning Spanish atm. Hopefully will be a fluent Spanish speaker in a few years time! :wink:
French! J'adore Paris et France! The culture, the women, the food. That and latin america!
South korean > japan.

Korean music and dramas are just :coma:
I also learn korean now because it's so goood.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thechemistress
South Korean culture.

hangul is the easiest part of the korean language.

the vocabulary and speaking is confusing but with practice, you will master it.
:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Japan and South Korea :smile:

Teaching myself both languages right now.

Quick Reply

Latest