The Student Room Group

Falling in love quickly

How quickly do you think you can fall in love? I was dating someone for a few months, we weren't officially boyfriend and girlfriend, but we weren't dating anyone else. It was such a short amount of time but I genuinely think I was in love with him. I'm really struggling with how things ended and I really miss him and want to get back with him but don't think he feels the same way unfortunately.
Reply 1
You were in love. However, I'd probably call it passionate love that is the kind that you usually get in these short term relationships (fast and strong). It's counterpart is the love you get from companionship. I can't answer if he loved you but from your description you loved him and you can fall in love quickly and when things are passionate they move quickly so yes you can fall in love quite fast.
Reply 2
These powerful feeling can hit quickly. Sometimes the initial intensity does seem to link to how quickly things can burn out though. Understand what you are saying, new and better love does come
Reply 3
Original post by Zarek
These powerful feeling can hit quickly. Sometimes the initial intensity does seem to link to how quickly things can burn out though. Understand what you are saying, new and better love does come

The thing is I genuinely thought that was it, thought I'd found my person. I've been hurt in the past so don't really trust easily, but this one I trusted with everything. So heartbroken.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
The thing is I genuinely thought that was it, thought I'd found my person. I've been hurt in the past so don't really trust easily, but this one I trusted with everything. So heartbroken.

Sorry to hear this, yes it is awful when this happens
Reply 5
Original post by Zarek
Sorry to hear this, yes it is awful when this happens

So awful and there's so many reminders of him. Like I ran into his whole family today. Perks of dating in a small town yay.
Reply 6
As fast as it takes to transfer money online. :wink:
I heard that 6 months is the typical time it takes for the 'infatuation' phase to wear off. If you still have strong feelings for the person after those 6 months, then you can be pretty sure those are genuine feelings and not just 'lust'.

I don't know how those '6 months' were measured, or how reliable this information is actually. But when I self-reflect and think of other peoples' experiences whom I've known... it actually sounds about right.

Most people I've known who commit to one another relatively quickly (say, less than 6 months), or even move in together... I don't think they last. Some do, and depends on their culture a lot as well. But I don't think most do. It's usually the people who've taken things relatively slowly, who consistently demonstrate patience and commitment at every stage of them getting to know each other, who actually work in the long-run. Whereas the people who rush things tend to be a little unhinged and tend to hop from one relationship to another every few months.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending