The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Good for you, I want a similar uni experience too
Have you ever had alcohol?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why did you use the phrase survived in your title? Not everyone does those things and it is a bit offensive you seem to be looking down on those who do.
Reply 143
Original post by Hannahmay01
What did you do on freshers week?

I went to Freshers Fair and other events my uni had prepared, like a few performance events by some societies as well as the Nottingham New Theatre, a movie night, Alton Towers trip, and a lot of societies had meet & greet or similar events. Also being in Nottingham, there was a Goose Fair as well. It was pretty full to be honest. Then we also went out to eat pretty much every night. The parents of a few of my friends I made during Freshers Week were generous (and rich) enough to invite their children's new friends to super expensive restaurants. (international students)

Original post by Marky Mark
Oh God you're so boring. Why would I ask you anything?

Well, that's your interpretation. If you read my spoiler, you'd see that (in my opinion) I've really had the time of my life at uni. You can obviously disagree. :smile:

Original post by KrisCussans
Did you ever go out to clubs then? Were there instances where you enjoyed it?

I'm one who likes societies too. However I do plan on going out, not drinking though. Is there anything you did instead?

I only went to clubs when I became active as an event photographer during my final year. I covered a few club nights for societies and agencies and that's the only time I saw clubbing. If you read my spoiler you can see what I did instead. Sorry, but I'm not repeating myself several times.

Original post by mandyyy6
Don't you think you'd struggle to talk and have a relationship with a female later on in your life if you've not had any female friends before? You can't just dive straight into a marriage...

I don't think so. I've had a lot of female friends at A Levels and GCSEs.

Original post by donutaud15
Have you ever had alcohol?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I've never had alcohol in my life. Never even tried it.

Original post by elitepower
Why did you use the phrase survived in your title? Not everyone does those things and it is a bit offensive you seem to be looking down on those who do.

That was the first word that came into my mind that would really express my situation as I only had limited characters for the title. And secondly, it looks like every single person does some of it if not all. And I just wanted to express that I managed to not do any of that and still had a great time at university.
Would you ever try alcohol?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 145
Would you ever try alcohol?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I would never try alcohol. My hatred for it is far too much to try it.
Original post by muffingg
No, I would never try alcohol. My hatred for it is far too much to try it.

What about smoking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have you ever felt insecure about this? Or had self-doubts?
Reply 148
What about smoking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Again, no. And again because I absolutely hate the whole concept of smoking.

Original post by el puto amo
Have you ever felt insecure about this? Or had self-doubts?

I've never felt insecure about it. I don't see which one of the listed things I should feel insecure about...
I know someone at Leeds university. He's a Muslim and he's kinda like you on steroids (no not actual drugs, I mean more extreme). Due to his religious beliefs, he doesn't do any of the things you mentioned about clubbing, drinking etc but on top of that, he literally blocked all social life. He would go to university from his room to his lectures and then return. Constantly praying his prayers (for hours each day). He would avoid even staring at girls, which was one of the reasons he went straight back.

Lesson: there's usually always someone way more religiously obedient than you. We all just calculate what limits are best for us.

Posted from TSR Mobile
As the title says, I (Male) went to uni,
* Never touched alcohol
* Never touched a cigarette / shisha
* Didn't do any drugs
* Never had sex
* Never went clubbing
* Didn't have a single female friend

Ask me anything

Why didn't I have female friends:

Spoiler

Why I didn't have a boring time:

Spoiler

Ever had a real fight?
Reply 151
Original post by HaQ_mAn_
Ever had a real fight?

Not at university, but I have at college and GCSEs.
Reply 152
Original post by Hitashami
I know someone at Leeds university. He's a Muslim and he's kinda like you on steroids (no not actual drugs, I mean more extreme). Due to his religious beliefs, he doesn't do any of the things you mentioned about clubbing, drinking etc but on top of that, he literally blocked all social life. He would go to university from his room to his lectures and then return. Constantly praying his prayers (for hours each day). He would avoid even staring at girls, which was one of the reasons he went straight back.

Lesson: there's usually always someone way more religiously obedient than you. We all just calculate what limits are best for us.

Posted from TSR Mobile

damn...
Same as me lol, although would have been better to have a much bigger social circle (shyness didn't help), I found Uni pretty boring most of the time :sigh:
Not at university, but I have at college and GCSEs.

Were they proper fights ro those crappy ones at school with like one punch/shove before it gets broken up?
You must be fun at parties.
Reply 156
muffingg, there's a lyric out there "bluffin with my muffin"
Reply 157
Original post by HaQ_mAn_
Were they proper fights ro those crappy ones at school with like one punch/shove before it gets broken up?

Only ever had one serious fight. All others were like joke fights but proper ones with no rules...

Original post by Tom_Ford
You must be fun at parties.

Not really. I don't go to parties at all.
How did those who did the aforementioned activities finish academically relative to yourself?
Reply 159
Original post by Kolasinac138
How did those who did the aforementioned activities finish academically relative to yourself?

It really varied. Some did better than me while others did equal to me or much worse. These percentages ranged from late 40s to early 70s.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest