The Student Room Group

Anyone Else In Love With Another Country/Culture?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chriswhjay
French! J'adore Paris et France! The culture, the women, the food. That and latin america!

Me too! I love Paris and France so much - I've been obsessed with the language and culture for as long as I can remember!

Also love a bit of Norway!
Original post by overthelove
Me too! I love Paris and France so much - I've been obsessed with the language and culture for as long as I can remember!

Also love a bit of Norway!

YES! French culture, and scandinavia! My aunt comes from the fjords of norway! Sweden and denmark, all of their cultures.
Original post by Chriswhjay
YES! French culture, and scandinavia! My aunt comes from the fjords of norway! Sweden and denmark, all of their cultures.

I completely agree! Glad there's someone out there who shares my passion too :smile:
I love Germany too, I even studied the Basic Law.
Greece and Italy.
Middle east!
France. The history in particular.
Germany. Having spent 4-5 months out there this year, I actually feel homesick for it! The culture just matched my personality perfectly :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
From South Africa and living in England but have always had an obsession with New Zealand, especially the Maori culture.
Reply 49
USA/Canada
Original post by Meyrin
and 女? Yes, they get ingrained into your brain very quickly. As well as (man) and (child.)

Isn't the reading and pronunciation the same thing? Or do you mean their English equivalent? It is difficult, and honestly I find myself forgetting on readings quite a lot. But once you get into the habit of reading more, you'll find yourself remembering them more easily. For example, the on reading of (heart) is "shin" - coming across common words containing like 中心 (chuushin) and 心配 (shinpai) as you go along will help that stick better.

I teach myself and I've never really used any programs (e.g. Rosetta Stone) so I can't soundly recommend anything.

Yeah those!

Yeah I mean i remember what they mean in English but not how to say them.

You're self taught? :eek: wow. Impressive
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Woo! Konnichiwa :smile: Do you speak Japanese?

Of course NOT :biggrin: Everthing depends on the exam result that I'm gonna give at 6 september(TOEFL).According to results,I'm going to Japan for university.

So,I think I learn Japanese and kanji there,and have an opportunity to discover the mystery of east asia :tongue:
Reply 52
I find France, Germany, Japan and Scandinavian countries very interesting but I wouldn't want to be anything other than English :smile:
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister

Yeah I mean i remember what they mean in English but not how to say them.

人 may be pronounced hito or jin. Hito when by itself (kun reading) and jin (on reading) when part of a word, e.g. 日本人, japanese person. I call them by their kun readings, and try to find some word with it in to remember the on reading, which helps memorise them. I hope that helps for you too!
Original post by FireGarden
人 may be pronounced hito or jin. Hito when by itself (kun reading) and jin (on reading) when part of a word, e.g. 日本人, japanese person. I call them by their kun readings, and try to find some word with it in to remember the on reading, which helps memorise them. I hope that helps for you too!

Thabk you :biggrin:
Gotta be America for me. U-S-A! U-S-A!
Original post by overthelove
I completely agree! Glad there's someone out there who shares my passion too :smile:

yeah :biggrin:!
Reply 57
I don't know why you guys love so much Japan or Korea given the astounding racism against anything foreign those countries have.
Original post by castelo
I don't know why you guys love so much Japan or Korea given the astounding racism against anything foreign those countries have.

This is a little true.

I used to be a japan addict and spent 6 months learning the language and wanted to visit my 2 uncles to live there. But after time, I realised that anime was the only reason why so I loved it so much lol and I slowly grew out of it. I still need to finish learning Japanese. I couldn't type for **** but had a good translation rate of speakers.
South Korea and Japan

Love everything about them, food, music, history, culture & language etc

I can speak korean and read a little hangul but still learning. I know basic Japanese.
All from the help of dramas, anime and teaching myself

Quick Reply

Latest