The Student Room Group

What language do you think in?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Mochassassin
Yeah, I'd say I think in my stronger language which is English. :smile:

Have you ever thought in Bengali then, for a long period of time?
Original post by godd
Have you ever thought in Bengali then, for a long period of time?

Not reaaally...do you mean just sitting and thinking for a period of time about anything? Probably once or twice but primarily, it's English. Which probably explains why my Bengali is getting worse with each passing day. :ashamed2:
Reply 22
Original post by Mochassassin
Not reaaally...do you mean just sitting and thinking for a period of time about anything? Probably once or twice but primarily, it's English. Which probably explains why my Bengali is getting worse with each passing day. :ashamed2:

I don't get when people tell me they switch thinking languages throughout the day. It doesn't make sense, why would you think in a language you are weaker in. The brain is trying to do everything as efficiently as possible, so it makes sense to only think in the language you are best at.
Original post by godd
I don't get when people tell me they switch thinking languages throughout the day. It doesn't make sense, why would you think in a language you are weaker in. The brain is trying to do everything as efficiently as possible, so it makes sense to only think in the language you are best at.

I'm not too sure. I can't account for every single thought I'd ever had and every single conversation either. But I guess the circumstance can affect it. Like I said before, I think in English even when I'm speaking Bengali.
But there are times when I struggle trying to explain something in Bengali to my relatives, which requires me to think in Bengali so I suppose I switch my thinking like that. Did that last bit make sense?
Reply 24
Bump.
English, but when I was preparing for my Spanish speaking assessment, I did find myself thinking certain things in Spanish :O
Reply 26
Bump.
Reply 27
Bump
Reply 28
Bump
Scots.

Some people class it as a language and others as a dialect. Whatever people class it as, I think and speak in that as opposed to just proper English.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by Yasmin25
Scots.

Some people class it as a language and others as a dialect. Whatever people class it as, I think and speak in that as opposed to just proper English.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What was the medium of instruction in your school?
English, just English. I'm boring and don't have any cool stories about how I speak 10 languages, read 5 more and have family all over the world :frown:
Reply 32
Original post by Madeline_H95
English, just English. I'm boring and don't have any cool stories about how I speak 10 languages, read 5 more and have family all over the world :frown:

Awwwww
Do you learn a language at GCSE/ A Level?
Original post by godd
Awwwww
Do you learn a language at GCSE/ A Level?

I did French at GCSE but ended up with a D. I was all A*'s and then that one D :frown: It's safe to say languages are not my forte. Do you speak a language?
Reply 34
Original post by Madeline_H95
I did French at GCSE but ended up with a D. I was all A*'s and then that one D :frown: It's safe to say languages are not my forte. Do you speak a language?

I love your name btw. :tongue:

Now back to point....

Yh I speak 2 languages, but one of them I don't know as fluently as I should. So I'm a like 1.5 lingual. I usually just think in english, as its my stronger language by a mile...but it got me thinking what truly bilingual people think in.
Original post by godd
I love your name btw. :tongue:

Now back to point....

Yh I speak 2 languages, but one of them I don't know as fluently as I should. So I'm a like 1.5 lingual. I usually just think in english, as its my stronger language by a mile...but it got me thinking what truly bilingual people think in.

Thanks :smile: I like my name too. I was going to be called Anjelica if my dad had his way.

Speaing 1.5 is always better than 1.0 :smile: I have a Spanish-English friend and she says she switches and sometimes ends up thinking in both simultaneously.
Reply 36
English primarily. Occasionally, it shifts to Vietnamese and rarely does it shift to Cantonese
Reply 37
Original post by Philzy
English primarily. Occasionally, it shifts to Vietnamese and rarely does it shift to Cantonese

Why and when does it shift to vietnamese?
Reply 38
bump
Reply 39
bump

Quick Reply

Latest