The Student Room Group

What salary are you realistically expecting to earn?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wisefire
This for example. Seems so typical, the way you put it. So why not I? Why can't I go down this route? Typical, middle-class path... I could always redo everything and just try and get into medical school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i'm being forced into doing it by my dad, i wanted to do chemical engineering. Apparently Asians dont think about job satisfaction, thats a white thing. Its probably for the best, costs a lot to run a BMW M3.
Reply 341
It's probably cos they themselves are pretty damn well connected if they really do have a train of thought that goes towards their kind of expectations. Lol, besides, partner wise, I'm kind of unaware... Do you think gender inequality is great to the point that it's very hard to find a partner earning about £45k+? A household income of £75k after tax wouldn't be too shabby.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A partner on £45k isn't uncommon at all. Most people in law/medicine will be on that by their early/mid 30s, even fairly achievable in teaching.
It's probably cos they themselves are pretty damn well connected if they really do have a train of thought that goes towards their kind of expectations. Lol, besides, partner wise, I'm kind of unaware... Do you think gender inequality is great to the point that it's very hard to find a partner earning about £45k+? A household income of £75k after tax wouldn't be too shabby.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends how old you want your partner to be :tongue: I doubt you'll be able to find someone who wants to settle down and have kids in her 20's who is on £45k. No doubt there will be plenty of women who will achieve that salary (I hope to be one of them).
Original post by Quady
Either their parents/relations will gift them a job, or they will be high fliers at Oxbridge or they are clueless.

Do you have examples of people who have done it? Actual individuals you know, not generalities.

Eh, it's gonna be the former, ****ing hell... Most are looking at unis like Exeter, KCL, Nottingham, Leeds, Manchester, Durham and a few others. Alright, well, one's doing their "internship" (that his family is "so proud" of) in Singapore atm I think. A guy who wants to be an IB. A guy who could only have got that thanks to family... A person who "loves family".

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 344
Eh, it's gonna be the former, ****ing hell... Most are looking at unis like Exeter, KCL, Nottingham, Leeds, Manchester, Durham and a few others. Alright, well, one's doing their "internship" (that his family is "so proud" of) in Singapore atm I think. A guy who wants to be an IB. A guy who could only have got that thanks to family... A person who "loves family".

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats why they are confident then.

If you don't have that then you gotta be in the other two categories.

I feel you're in the last category right now.
See. Middle-class manifestations. Being non-PC, lol, Indian (?) doctors and BMW M3s... I have no idea why they love that particular car so much. It's too mainstream for my liking. Job satisfaction? Unheard for me, I'd rather sit at home, play videogames and be on benefits, then do a job that'll pay me no more than £30k for the rest of my life, frankly. So anyway... Are you able to get work experience (big barrier for medical applications I believe)? Will a family member provide it if so? Not having a go good luck, but want to see if even for medical students barriers to entry are affected by opportunities and socioeconomic class, and social mobility.

Just a general point (not at you ruthless): with all my rants on cash, I must note my gross household income is £60k atm. So I'm by no means poor/disadvantaged, you'd have yourself believe. Except I really kind of am, if you knew me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Work experience was indeed done with my dads best friend, i start uni in september.

And the M3 because it has four seats and its rear wheel drive.

Also M3 + Milltek + Decat = orgasm
Reply 346
Is that middle category open to UCL, Warwick, Durham or Bristol peeps, to an extent? Is there THAT huge a rift between people from Bristol, compared to Warwick? Is the Bristol guy just 'alright', and in the same, semi-target boat as someone from Cass, for example? And tbh, it's not everybody that is THAT well connected, many just have the middle class household income of £70k+ or so, whereas mine's £40k, and there's the difference between being lower-middle class like me, and middle-middle class, which I would like to aspire to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

To a pretty tiny extent, its then pretty much luck based. Its not like a majority of Oxbridge will manage what you say.

In my experience they are pretty much all in the same boat outside of Oxbridge.

Your number are all over the place you know, your household income can't have been cut from £60k to £40k in 5mins :s-smilie:

And lol, you still haven't 'got it' about being an employee have you? You have a much better chance if you start a business. Take James Watt and Brewdog as an example.

Middle-Middle class is more like a household income of £50k anyway, £80k is upper-middle.
Ah ffs man. See. Upsets me. Middle class takeover of everything, and unis encourage and PRIORITISE people who got that connection to get that experience, so they themselves can get to that medical school to get that £100k job and continue this S H I T T Y country's GENUINE innate flaws and ostracisms. Happy you. Do your luck and daddy 'proud'. Get a first. Forget the money whilst your a doctor. Do good for society. Seriously, not berating you, I'm not that narrow-minded and bitter, but appreciate my point?

Posted from TSR Mobile

i know im lucky, but my dad grew up in a council house. Everyone gotta start somewhere.
Good for him. 30 years ago things must've been far easier for most graduates. Probably.

Posted from TSR Mobile

closer to 19 years ago tbh mate.
You can make as much as you want. You just need to learn from the right people, be strategic. Play the long game. I've got a book coming out soon that might give you some answers.

I'm still at university, and I own several businesses, so between them I'm on a low salary but high benefits. If you were to factor in things like my house and car, I guess you'll probably be looking at something around $200,000 a year. For personal net worth, I'm aiming for $650,000,000 by 2036.

(edited 9 years ago)
One of my options is a screenwriter...
so could be anything from £0 to £50,000,000

(I'm hoping for at least 10k :cool:)
I sometimes feel bad that if I had got my arse in gear I could have been on a 29k grad scheme straight out of uni :frown:

Unfortunately my arse is never in gear :tongue:

What bothers me more is how other poeple might judge me based on my income.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 352
It is very sad thinking that money buys happiness. Beyond a very low point (£22kpa) it decreases it - http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/experts-confirm-that-money-does-buy-happiness--but-only-up-to-22100-8968255.html

'In wealthy countries this “sweet spot” is found at around £22,100, after which, happiness decreases as our aspirations for better-quality housing, a higher standard of education and consumer goods lead to increased levels of anxiety and stress.'

It is a shame that we each have only one life, so we can't learn from mistakes that expand to cause dissatisfaction throughout a whole lifetime.

Maybe the thread ought to be 'how happy do you think you will be in your life?', 'what do you think will give you the most happiness in your life?' or 'how do you think you can maximise your happiness throughout your life?'. But I guess they are too difficult - and people who can't cope with those questions will still get stuck on the answer answer 'money'. :frown:
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Wow, you need to pipe the **** down. £25-£40k at 35 isn't terrible (well £25k is a bit on the low end, I'm on that now at 26 so I would be hoping to be at the upper end of that). Most people end up with average lives on average wages, there's no shame in that. I did an Econ degree at an alright uni and I reckon at my peak I'll be on around £50-60k. I'm more than happy with that.

The notion that you want to be on £80k at that age is laughable, basically no one does that. The sooner you accept that you're not a special snowflake with "unique" skills and intelligence, the better and further you are going to go in life.

By all means have ambition, but don't be a **** about it like you are now.

Lol you say most people live average live with average salaries, the reason they do is because they settle for average. Someone's not gonna come and just give you a ****ing 80k a year job you gotta work for it. Most people don't understand that and settle for mediocrity and that's why they live average lives lol. Id be ashamed of myself if I end up living an "average" life, especially with the opportunities that have been provided to me.

If that person wants to earn 80k by the time he/she is 35 then most probably will if they work there ass off for it, rather then sitting on **** like Facebook and twitter for hours.

Your post is laughable and shows why people like you are "average". Because your content with being average and not the best.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ruthlessv
i'm being forced into doing it by my dad, i wanted to do chemical engineering. Apparently Asians dont think about job satisfaction, thats a white thing. Its probably for the best, costs a lot to run a BMW M3.

Don't let him force you! Do what you want to do. You'll only end up regretting it in the long run. Medecine is a highly stressful career to do if you're not passionate about it. Also chem engineering is a great profession with good money :biggrin: Can't you just tell him it's your life and ultimately your decision? Surely he wouldn't want you to end up unhappy and resenting him
Minimum target is 20k+ with my goal being 30k+
Original post by bad8oy
Lol you say most people live average live with average salaries, the reason they do is because they settle for average. Someone's not gonna come and just give you a ****ing 80k a year job you gotta work for it. Most people don't understand that and settle for mediocrity and that's why they live average lives lol. Id be ashamed of myself if I end up living an "average" life, especially with the opportunities that have been provided to me.

If that person wants to earn 80k by the time he/she is 35 then most probably will if they work there ass off for it, rather then sitting on **** like Facebook and twitter for hours.

Your post is laughable and shows why people like you are "average". Because your content with being average and not the best.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you'll be ashamed of living an average life I feel sorry for you and your future family. People who look down on a £40k a year salary need a ****ing reality check.

Good luck to you. You'll need it.
Would want to start off around at 20k and then progress

What do you want to know?
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
What bothers me more is how other poeple might judge me based on my income.

Who cares about those oafs? :fluffy:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending