The Student Room Group

What salary are you realistically expecting to earn?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bad8oy
Lol you say most people live average live with average salaries, the reason they do is because they settle for average. Someone's not gonna come and just give you a ****ing 80k a year job you gotta work for it. Most people don't understand that and settle for mediocrity and that's why they live average lives lol. Id be ashamed of myself if I end up living an "average" life, especially with the opportunities that have been provided to me.

If that person wants to earn 80k by the time he/she is 35 then most probably will if they work there ass off for it, rather then sitting on **** like Facebook and twitter for hours.

Your post is laughable and shows why people like you are "average". Because your content with being average and not the best.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Everyone can't have 80k jobs...

Original post by kopi, ffs
Who cares about those oafs? :fluffy:

Me! There's certain people in this thread I want to punch

This is a very snobbish country.
(edited 9 years ago)
At least 100k+ at some point during my career

Dentistry.
I'm just gonna put this here so people can re-evaluate what they think 'average' is accordingly.

Original post by Viva Emptiness
If you'll be ashamed of living an average life I feel sorry for you and your future family. People who look down on a £40k a year salary need a ****ing reality check.

Good luck to you. You'll need it.

Lol I'll earn at least 100k by the time I'm 32 if everything goes well for me. I'm willing to put the work in though, I will make that much.
I don't need a reality check, what's 40k gonna buy you lmao. Is it gonna pay for a good car? A £500k mortgage ? Lol I don't think so.
You need the reality check, the reason you think 40k a year is a lot because you strive to earn that much lol. I'd be embarrassed if I were you tbh. Get off your ass and make things happen.
Your actually ridiculous and so are your comments.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wisefire
Well, may you further explain your story to me, please?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well it's quite simple. I was a music producer, ran my own music company which really started out as more of a glorified sole-trader than anything else - it was really just about teh name of owning a company, along with tax stuff, realised there's not a whole lot of money in music anymore, so used the money I made from that (which wasn't a huge amount, just enough to pay a few salaries and benefits) and launched more companies - not just in music, but in application development (which was just at the right time too), publishing and education. And they're doing quite well. Whenever I have the capital and a good idea, I launch another one in a another industry. Don't put your eggs in one basket - when one industry falls, another one rises, so make sure you're there to capitalise off it! :smile:
Reply 365
I'm just gonna put this here so people can re-evaluate what they think 'average' is accordingly.

According to that, my gross household income combined with my partner is in the top decile. It certainly doesnt feel like it :s-smilie:
Reply 366
300,000......A week
Reply 367
Original post by bad8oy
Lol I'll earn at least 100k by the time I'm 32 if everything goes well for me. I'm willing to put the work in though, I will make that much.
I don't need a reality check, what's 40k gonna buy you lmao. Is it gonna pay for a good car? A £500k mortgage ? Lol I don't think so.
You need the reality check, the reason you think 40k a year is a lot because you strive to earn that much lol. I'd be embarrassed if I were you tbh. Get off your ass and make things happen.
Your actually ridiculous and so are your comments.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I find it unlikely you'll reach 6-figures by 32 without a basic grasp of grammar.
Wow that's what I aspire to myself. Exactly that basically. So what do you do/will you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Medicine then hopefully go into pharmaceuticals.

You wanna do economics at uni and earn 80k you will, just put the work in :smile:
Know what you wanna do and go for it, work towards that one thing. Don't start changing your mind, to get something you've gotta have a plan first then work towards that goal. You will be successful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reue
According to that, my gross household income combined with my partner is in the top decile. It certainly doesnt feel like it :s-smilie:

You earn around £90k between you and you don't feel like one of the most well off people?

How sheltered are people on here?!
Why didn't I go into dentistry :frown: Is it too late for me? If I don't get grades good enough to go to a top 8 uni next year/a really good one for economics, I'm seriously considering stopping everything, and just re doing A-levels as a whole, with Chemistry and Biology in there, with a dental application in mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can't retake your a levels for dentistry unless you have a top 5% application...
BTW, dentistry is definitely not the quickest, nor easiest way to make 100k lol.

Its just that dentistry gives you a bit of everything, high status, high salary, helping people, progression, autonomy
Original post by Reue
I find it unlikely you'll reach 6-figures by 32 without a basic grasp of grammar.

Lol ok :smile: whatever you say

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gross household income means before tax? So, for example, one earner on £80k, and the other on £45k, would be £115k/the top decile?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Strong maths skills, I can see why you have such high hopes.

But yes.
Reply 373
You earn around £90k between you and you don't feel like one of the most well off people?

How sheltered are people on here?!

Unless I've misunderstood the graph, a combined salary of about 70k+ would put you into the top bracket?
Original post by Reue
Unless I've misunderstood the graph, a combined salary of about 70k+ would put you into the top bracket?

Yes that's right. From what I understand from your post, you feel like your salary doesn't afford you the material things that you think someone in the top bracket would have?
Reply 375
Yes that's right. From what I understand from your post, you feel like your salary doesn't afford you the material things that you think someone in the top bracket would have?

Then yes, we are in the top bracket, and yes: I don't think we have enough disposable income to be able to afford what I would perceive the 'top 10% gross salary earning households' to possess.
Reply 376
So, for example, as a couple with no child... What salaries do you both get if it's gross over £88k? Sorry if that's too much to ask, just don't reply if so lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

as £88k is the median, you can (and we do) earn less than that to still be in the top 10th :smile:
Reply 377
Original post by bad8oy
Lol ok :smile: whatever you say

Posted from TSR Mobile

By all means; come back in a few years and show us the P60 :smile:
Original post by Reue
Then yes, we are in the top bracket, and yes: I don't think we have enough disposable income to be able to afford what I would perceive the 'top 10% gross salary earning households' to possess.

I guess that's because when you think of top earners you think of those 500 or so multi-millionaires that lord it up with helicopters and ****.

I'm still baffled that people think £40k is an embarrassment.
Reply 379
I'm still baffled that people think £40k is an embarrassment.

I completely agree. I'd love to be on £40k :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending