The Student Room Group

Does universities prefer a certain exam board ?

Please if it is, which one of these is better for A-level ?
Physics OCR vs AQA
Chemistry Edexcel vs AQA
computing WJEC vs AQA
Maths & Further maths AQA vs Edexcel
Reply 1
I don't think universities have any preference - very few students will get a choice anyway.

However, given the choice between AQA and Edexcel for maths I would choose Edexcel as it seems to be more popular for maths and so more resources will be available to you.
Reply 2
Original post by marioman
I don't think universities have any preference - very few students will get a choice anyway.

However, given the choice between AQA and Edexcel for maths I would choose Edexcel as it seems to be more popular for maths and so more resources will be available to you.

Thanks for your reply
Reply 3
Original post by rewaz
Physics OCR vs AQA
Chemistry Edexcel vs AQA
computing WJEC vs AQA

I assume that you have the choice of two sixth forms/colleges and I was in the same situation. I agree that you should definitely go for Edexcel Maths.

From experience, WJEC is the most respected board for science.

I did AQA chemistry and the content was straightforward and the exam technique was easy to master so yeah. I hated the ISA though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by mmp97
I assume that you have the choice of two sixth forms/colleges and I was in the same situation. I agree that you should definitely go for Edexcel Maths.

According to a biology tutor, WJEC is the most respected board for science.

I did AQA chemistry and the content was straightforward and the exam technique was easy to master so yeah. I hated the ISA though

But overall, unis won't look too much into exam boards

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rewaz
Physics OCR vs AQA
Chemistry Edexcel vs AQA
computing WJEC vs AQA

No they don't care at all.

I preferred aqa for science as it was most straightforward. I tried OCR, it was a train wreck, concept based which makes the exams complicated. Personally I think aqa has the best syllabus for chemistry
:smile:
Aqa and edexcel are both good for maths. Edexcel there is more material, but there are loads of mistakes in the textbooks & the exam layout is harder. I've heard the aqa exam questions are set out more nicely by breaking them down into sub-questions, so there are more chances to get marks.
I hated the long question exam layout for edexcel c3 & c4 :P
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest