The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sevchenko
Scored 22 last season. With Alexis and Walcott either side of him I don't see why not. The team is still trying to find their cohesion I reckon we'll storm the league 2nd half of the season

I'd like to see Chambers at RB tbh not on a regular basis but he'd balance the right wing imo. It would allow Theo/Alexis to do their thing more often. I get a sense of Ivanovic when watching Chambers

spot on, chambers looks better atm. hes smart on the ball as well so he can attack when needed too.

debuchy just seems to get in the way when attacking, and theo/alexis dont need overlaps anyway...
(edited 9 years ago)
If we want to be considered serious title contenders we need a world class striker (Falcao, Cavani) a strong CDM (Khedira, Carvalho) and a back up CB (Manolas, Reid).

No excuses this season, we have the finances so let's get it done!
Reply 5462
Original post by Sameera97
Giroud will score 25 goals this season.

Wasn't it you that posted something like united will win the league and you'll destroy Sunderland :wink:
Original post by Tom_Ford
Tbh I liked both Mandzukic and Costa because they are both brutish CF's who can score goals. They are both the type that would not hesitate to leave the elbows on the defender's head to wind them up. That nastiness and compulsion to win every ball. When the opposition team sees them they know we are not messing around. Whereas with Giroud, it's a bit like... "Mate, why have you gone all Miley Cyrus with your hair?". Different world.

Giroud elbowed John Obi Mikel in the face during the WC, it was glorious to see.
Thoughts:

Missed another match due to commitments.. annoying.

In the run of the season I am not bothered by this. It is an improvement from last seasons 3-0 thrashing, and considering evertons home record, a point is not a bad result to get..

Dissapointed by the teams performances, and desperatly want to see some new signings to boos quality in a few areas of the pitch.

If arsene can get on that and get some buisness done in this last week of the window, I will be quite confident for a good season.
Original post by Arkasia
He broke his transfer price structure last season for Ozil, because he was desperate and realized we needed a signing. I am sure if he gets enough pressure he will break his wage structure for one player.

Many of the names I mentioned are upgrades on Giroud, and although some are out of question, the fact is that there are players out there in different teams and leagues, and it isn't just a case of 'Cavani or nothing'.

- Not one player you mentioned is an upgrade to Giroud

- Many of them are actually average

- Firmino is more of a CAM/CF than striker. Lavezzi is a winger.

- Nearly all of the players you mentioned are completely different players to Giroud, short fast midgets. We already have two in Sanchez and Walcott who can play ST and we saw what happened when they played there. Very ineffective. Lost all physical presence/ link up play etc.

- Conclusion: Looks like you play too much FIFA.
Original post by Basiji
- Not one player you mentioned is an upgrade to Giroud

- Many of them are actually average

- Firmino is more of a CAM/CF than striker. Lavezzi is a winger.

- Nearly all of the players you mentioned are completely different players to Giroud, short fast midgets. We already have two in Sanchez and Walcott who can play ST and we saw what happened when they played there. Very ineffective. Lost all physical presence/ link up play etc.

- Conclusion: Looks like you play too much FIFA.

So I named a lot of good footballers, most of whom have good goalscoring records and are recognized as decent, and you say 'no, they aren't like Giroud, you play too much FIFA'. Honestly I don't understand you, are you trying to insult me or something?
Original post by Arkasia
So I named a lot of good footballers, most of whom have good goalscoring records and are recognized as decent, and you say 'no, they aren't like Giroud, you play too much FIFA'. Honestly I don't understand you, are you trying to insult me or something?

Lavezzi does not have a good goalscoring record and is average. He was the worse out of the front three in Napoli.
Original post by Arkasia

mate don't get upset man. it was just a really poor post so i thought i'd respond.

if it was aggressive, i apologise.

but you mentioned players who aren't even strikers.

look forward to your response.
Original post by Basiji
mate don't get upset man. it was just a really poor post so i thought i'd respond.

:rofl:

You're killing me today.
Original post by jam278
Lavezzi does not have a good goalscoring record and is average. He was the worse out of the front three in Napoli.

Napoli? He left in 2012. Did you mean PSG?
Original post by Arkasia
Napoli? He left in 2012. Did you mean PSG?

I mean Napoli.

He was the worst out of Lavezzi, Cavani and Hamsik front combo.

Lavezzi leaves, he gets quickly replaced with Insigne and they go from 5th to 2nd. Plus anyway he's currently the worst out of the front three at PSG anyway? He's just a sideman. Fast, good dribbler but his conversion rate/goalscoring rate is poor.
Original post by Basiji

Sorry for at least being optimistic and listing players, instead of constant moaning about how Wenger isn't going to buy so-and-so, thus we will be resigned to fourth place again.

Out of the list of over a dozen players, a couple weren't strikers (they were wingers or attacking mids), because Wenger has NEVER bought a player and converted them to striker, has he? That would be unheard of.

Spoiler

Vidal and any decent CB content with being 3rd/4th choice and the league is ours.

No joke. We don't need a ST at all.
Original post by jam278
I mean Napoli.

He was the worst out of Lavezzi, Cavani and Hamsik front combo.

Lavezzi leaves, he gets quickly replaced with Insigne and they go from 5th to 2nd. Plus anyway he's currently the worst out of the front three at PSG anyway? He's just a sideman. Fast, good dribbler but his conversion rate/goalscoring rate is poor.

Well look at who Napoli have now. Hardly a case of his departure causing them to jump 3 places. He is the worst out of the front three at PSG? Ibrahimovic is retiring in two years, and Cavani won't leave (because of Ibra), so Lavezzi is looking quite plausible.
Original post by Arkasia
Sorry for at least being optimistic and listing players, instead of constant moaning about how Wenger isn't going to buy so-and-so, thus we will be resigned to fourth place again.

Out of the list of over a dozen players, a couple weren't strikers (they were wingers or attacking mids), because Wenger has NEVER bought a player and converted them to striker, has he? That would be unheard of.

Spoiler

that's just long.

we already have plenty of wingers/midfielders. so no need.
Original post by Arkasia
Well look at who Napoli have now. Hardly a case of his departure causing them to jump 3 places. He is the worst out of the front three at PSG? Ibrahimovic is retiring in two years, and Cavani won't leave (because of Ibra), so Lavezzi is looking quite plausible.

Before in 2012-13 it was a straight swap of Insigne for Lavezzi. They improved their defence tbf but Lavezzi was the worst out of the three attacking players.

Lavezzi is plausible but he's a winger or a second striker, not a lone striker and he's not as good as Sanchez... If you're playing him on the wing then fair enough but you have better options in Sanchez and Walcott.
Henry started off as a striker for Monaco where Arsene was and was playing out of position for Juve ffs. Lets make this clear.
Original post by jam278
Before in 2012-13 it was a straight swap of Insigne for Lavezzi. They improved their defence tbf but Lavezzi was the worst out of the three attacking players.

Lavezzi is plausible but he's a winger or a second striker, not a lone striker and he's not as good as Sanchez... If you're playing him on the wing then fair enough but you have better options in Sanchez and Walcott.

As I said earlier, Lavezzi, and most of these players, are better than nothing. I understand they are not perfect or preferable, but when you have Sanogo as a back up striker, you can't afford to be selective.
Original post by jam278
Henry started off as a striker for Monaco where Arsene was and was playing out of position for Juve ffs. Lets make this clear.

Really? I thought Wenger was considering playing him as striker, but deployed him as a left winger?

Latest