The Student Room Group

Do I stand a chance?

Top Uni choices = UCL, St Andrews, Bath, Birmingham
Requirements = A*AA-AAA

AS grades = AABD (dropping the subject I got the D in)

A2 predictions = A*A*AA (incl. Extended project)

I'm really worried about wasting Uni choices on my ucas application if i wont even be considered.
I'v had mitigating circumstances (long term family breakdown, living in foster care + chronic medical condition which i underwent surgery for in 2013 and missed a lot of school)
given my circumstances i'm very happy to have achieved what i have, i wasn't expecting to do very well the 4th AS level subject but i'm really disappointed at the B grade, so close to an A and having 3 As at AS level would have really helped.

I'm considering having my B grade subject (History) remarked.
I got an A in german history 2m module (AQA) but a C in the british history module/course which gave me the overall B grade and i'm hoping it can get pushed up to an A.

But i'm also worried in terms of remarking - is it possible to end up with a lower grade? and if so, do i have to declare the lower grade on ucas?? or can i stick to the original??

what are my chances if i apply to ucl?
Well, in AS I got B,C,C,C then in A2 I got AAA, so it is very easy to improve, and yes it is possible to end up with a lower mark when remarking, and yes I think you would have to declare it on ucas. If you're going to pay for a remark it may be better to just pay for a resit, much more likely to improve and impossible to go down..
With AAB and extenuating circumstances (make sure this is mentioned in your reference), you'll be absolutely fine. Don't worry!
I'd say you do have a chance if you get predicated good A level results! Why Birmingham though? If I were you I'd go for Leeds, Manchester or Newcastle rather than Birmingham.
Original post by DylanJ96
I'd say you do have a chance if you get predicated good A level results! Why Birmingham though? If I were you I'd go for Leeds, Manchester or Newcastle rather than Birmingham.

I'm applying for Psychology (with or without neuroscience) courses
I looked at the university league tables for psychology and Birmingham was higher than the others? Also because the courses at Bath and Birmingham are both MSci courses which i think is a large advantage
what do you think? I'v heard leeds offers an msci psychology course as well but i'v heard more about birmingham
Original post by lukasthepoet
I'm applying for Psychology (with or without neuroscience) courses
I looked at the university league tables for psychology and Birmingham was higher than the others? Also because the courses at Bath and Birmingham are both MSci courses which i think is a large advantage
what do you think? I'v heard leeds offers an msci psychology course as well but i'v heard more about birmingham

To be honest, the media league tables don't count for much and aren't a good way to inform a university decision. I mean, in some of them Aston is higher than Bristol! :tongue:

In terms of prestige, your other choices are high up there but you'd be better going to Newcastle, Leeds or Manchester for a better respected degree. That sounds snobby, but employers favor these universities over Birmingham.
Original post by DylanJ96
To be honest, the media league tables don't count for much and aren't a good way to inform a university decision. I mean, in some of them Aston is higher than Bristol! :tongue:

In terms of prestige, your other choices are high up there but you'd be better going to Newcastle, Leeds or Manchester for a better respected degree. That sounds snobby, but employers favor these universities over Birmingham.

Thanks for the advice Dylan :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending