The Student Room Group

The Official TSR Fantasy Football League 2014/15

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mr tim
Di Maria £9.5m

Going to have take an 8 point hit if I want him. Would change Mata to him but need that extra .1m and already used free transfer this week.
Reply 1641
Original post by SirMasterKey
Going to have take an 8 point hit if I want him. Would change Mata to him but need that extra .1m and already used free transfer this week.

any advice on defenders Caulker is losing price and I need to get rid ohf him quickly
Original post by Qari
defender instead of Caulker. Any recommendations?

Keep him for another week. His price has dropped, so i'd wait it out to see how he does in a good looking fixture on the weekend. He's going if he gets nothing from me on that GW.

Di Maria is certainly an interesting choice at that price. Was convinced he would be 10.0. If he does play as a winger it could be a very good price. Bit weary he may play in central midfield to go for him right away though.

Will wildcard when the window shuts after the next GW. Team isn't bad, but there are a number of faces who are important to get in like Aguero and get out like Caulker.

Original post by SirMasterKey

Ask yourself is it worth the risk that Di Maria will score 4 more pts than Mata this weekend? As tempting as knee jerking is it rarely pays off. Going for a new signing to the league often doesn't pay off right away too. Consider Sanchez, Ozil (even though is first 2 games were impressive i believe?), Lamela etc. as players that dropped off pretty quickly or will do in the case of Sanchez you'd think. Often worth assessing how they are over the first few games before going for them.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1643
Original post by Gob Bluth
Keep him for another week. His price has dropped, so i'd wait it out to see how he does in a good looking fixture on the weekend. He's going if he gets nothing from me on that GW.

Di Maria is certainly an interesting choice at that price. Was convinced he would be 10.0. If he does play as a winger it could be a very good price. Bit weary he may play in central midfield to go for him right away though.

Will wildcard when the window shuts after the next GW. Team isn't bad, but there are a number of faces who are important to get in like Aguero and get out like Caulker.

I've gone for Van Aanholt.
Yeah I'm also going to WC after window shuts I think. Defence and keeper need sorting badly.
Original post by fallen_acorns
thats a good question..

Have mata in my team, and had not considered how it would effect him, whether he gets played out of position, or even if its just that the assists/goals get spread more thinly between him/Di Maria..

Love mata at the moment as you can almost guarentee that any united attack will go through him.. but with another decent player in their midfield, it could be less obvious.

He's a class act when played in the number 10 role but he is less than useless when out wide. It looks like Van Gaal will stick to the 3-5-2 given he played it last night again despite not having 3 centre backs old enough to leave school yet. Assuming he sticks to 3-5-2 it means that Di Maria will be a wing back, a centre mid, Mata will be dropped or Mata will move to CM. Given how unlikely the first 2 are as £60m is obscene on a full back and Di Maria is not what United need in the middle (they need a physical presence like Keane, Yaya or Gerrard, I think it is likely that Mata will be dropped.
It just seems so stupid to me that he will drop a player of Mata's undeniable quality despite leaving a 5 man defence, including wingbacks, that only includes 2 good players ATM (Rojo and Jones.) Van Gaal has been going on about how the squad lacks balance with too many strikers and attacking midfielders so his solution is to break the transfer record on an attacking midfielder whilst making no move or Benatia, Hummels or a right wing back which is what they actually need!

I think I will have to sell Mata and I have a budget of 9.3m to replace him. Given my lack of an obvious captain next week (seriously considering Siggy) I could bring in Silva but I don't rate him unless he is central which it appears he won't be. Other long term options include Ramsey, Ozil and Fabregas.
Another alternative would be save some money (Schurrle down to Chadli) and put in Sanchez because apparently Wenger will not sign a striker to replace Giroud so Sanchez could be playing at ST
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Alex Doran
Any thoughts on how Di Maria will affect the United lineup (specifically Mata and Rooney?) I am worried it will mean that Mata no longer gets a spot in the number 10 role and/or Rooney no longer starts up top.

I suspect it'll be this in the long term:

New CM
Herrera Di Maria
Mata
Van Persie Rooney

A 4-3-2-1 with ADM/Mata/Januzaj behind Rooney or RVP would be ideal but I don't think that'll happen.

Original post by Endless Blue
Yeah I'm also going to WC after window shuts I think. Defence and keeper need sorting badly.

I'll be wildcarding after this GW too. Thought about doing it this week, but as i've started well I can afford to simply take a hit.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sr90
I suspect it'll be this in the long term:

New CM
Herrera Di Maria
Mata
Van Persie Rooney

A 4-3-2-1 with ADM/Mata/Januzaj behind Rooney or RVP would be ideal but I don't think that'll happen.

I'll be wildcarding after this GW too. Thought about doing it this week, but as i've started well I can afford to simply take a hit.

When do people usually wildcard? And is there a particularly 'good' time to do it?
When do people usually wildcard? And is there a particularly 'good' time to do it?

Do it when you need to. There isn't a specific week thats best to do it, the winner last year used it in GW2.

As we have a second chance to wildcard in January it takes the pressure of when to initially wildcard. Imo, there shouldn't be a January wildcard, as everyone's teams become very similar.

It's quite a common to wildcard after the 3rd game, as there is an international break following it, combined with the end of the transfer window. Also, you understand what teams are using and what is working early on, so it's a good time to get rid of people who are hindering you, and to get the form players right away.

Some like to leave it for later on in the season when DGWs appear, but for me it seems more beneficial to wildcard after the 3rd GW unless you want to make 3 or less transfers, in which point just taking the hit works.
Original post by mr tim
Di Maria £9.5m

Very good price. Will sell Rooney and take the extra 1.0

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think I will have to sell Mata and I have a budget of 9.3m to replace him. Given my lack of an obvious captain next week (seriously considering Siggy) I could bring in Silva but I don't rate him unless he is central which it appears he won't be. Other long term options include Ramsey, Ozil and Fabregas.
Another alternative would be save some money (Schurrle down to Chadli) and put in Sanchez because apparently Wenger will not sign a striker to replace Giroud so Sanchez could be playing at ST
Any thoughts?
BREAKING: Deigo Costa is injured!! Out for 4-6 weeks!! Peakkkk for everyone who has him

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hope this turns out to be hype. Just taken a four point hit and anymore than 1 week out would be pushing me into wildcard terratory :*(

If you wildcard after making transfers but before the deadline does it cancel the points hit?
Original post by Mister Dead
Hope this turns out to be hype. Just taken a four point hit and anymore than 1 week out would be pushing me into wildcard terratory :*(

If you wildcard after making transfers but before the deadline does it cancel the points hit?

Yes it does. Already used my 2 FT so looking at a hit to take Costa out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1655
Original post by ArsenalWenger
Yes it does. Already used my 2 FT so looking at a hit to take Costa out

Posted from TSR Mobile

If Costa is.out then it's either time for Mario or Sergio :tongue:
Original post by Qari
If Costa is.out then it's either time for Mario or Sergio :tongue:

Might take a punt on Mario since I would need to take an 8 point hit to get Aguero lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1657
Costa is out for sure? Gonna have to play my Wildcard then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1658
and is Aguero fully fit to start the game?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hoping to save my wildcard until next week, but I'd need to take a hit to get rid of Costa, and since there's 5 or 6 other transfers I want to make I might as well use it now I guess. Not a fan of using it 2 games in though, I'd prefer to wait at least 3 before I make any real decisions on how it's all likely to play out... :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest