The Student Room Group

Cameron to stop British jihadis returning to the UK

Draconian plans to strip British jihadis of their UK citizenship will be unveiled by David Cameron tomorrow.

He will ban them from entering the UK, forcing them to stay in Iraq, Syria or other countries such as Turkey, from where many fly back to Britain.

The Prime Minister will argue that they must be stripped of their passports and their right to come back to the UK because they could be plotting terrorist attacks.

But will he have the spine to follow through?
Original post by Skip_Snip

Hope so. Otherwise people might get fed up and employ mob justice.
Reply 2

**** me this took forever. only block those who join isis though because there are a lot of legit aid workers in syria that are muslims.
Finally. Britain shouldn't be party to laws written by people living abroad that don't have to do deal with the consequences of their stupid laws.
It says temporary ban....
I also don't see what's to stop them from re-entering via Europe anyway considering we get loads of illegals every year and they don't have people on this side helping them.
So what if they get stuck in Turkey, if Turkey joins the EU then they are EU citizens again.

Plus as I said before TEMPORARY ban

Just seems like another wishy washy half assed play by Cameron after the embarrassment caused by Carswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by miscounted_time

Posted from TSR Mobile

better than nowt.

Anyway, how would it be leaving them stateless, it's the Islamic State, let 'em rot there.
Reply 6
British citizenship cannot be revoked in most cases. Under international law, it is illegal to leave someone without any form of citizenship. So unless they have citizenship in another country, Britain can't do much about stopping them returning.
better than nowt.

Anyway, how would it be leaving them stateless, it's the Islamic State, let 'em rot there.

I agree, they have declared themselves citizens of the Islamic state so I would employ a permanent ban. Also many of them relinquished their citizenship voluntarily so surely Britain could argue that we are not forcefully striping them of anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by miscounted_time
I also don't see what's to stop them from re-entering via Europe anyway considering we get loads of illegals every year and they don't have people on this side helping them.
So what if they get stuck in Turkey, if Turkey joins the EU then they are EU citizens again.

Plus as I said before TEMPORARY ban

Just seems like another wishy washy half assed play by Cameron after the embarrassment caused by Carswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile

"Temporary".
It's against human rights..

I will protest.
There is supposed to be some international law that we're not allowed to leave people stateless, therefore it would be illegal to revoke citizenship unless they are also citizens of another country.

IS is not a state recognised by the international community, but the people who go to fight there obviously recognise it as one. I say go ahead with revoking citizenship.
Original post by Akagamisanedo
It's against human rights..

I will protest.

Have you seen what ISIS have been doing? You have to be human for human rights to apply.
Original post by RFowler
Have you seen what ISIS have been doing? You have to be human for human rights to apply.

I don't care , these people are tourists...
Now the same needs to be done with terrorists serving in the IDF
Reply 14
Original post by broscience123

Well, no. It's not the same thing because people fighting for the IDF aren't likely to commit terrorism in Great Britain.
Original post by broscience123

Well no, firstly the IDF is a legitimate military force whereas ISIS are a bunch of ragtag terrorists. Secondly, the IDF have not nor are they likely to threaten the UK whereas ISIS have made their attitude towards the UK and their intentions upon their return quite clear.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Hopefully. The options are then either detain them in which case they will have to be housed somewhere, and no doubt they will then spend years appealing through the courts, or deporting them back to an Islamic state where they will no doubt carry on their jihad and kill people. Nevertheless, in an ideal world they should be stripped of citizenship.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending