The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kenan and Kel
Jokes on you. Welbz is cup tied for the League Cup.

Dat Guy Welbz? So no Zup Zup I'm guessing?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Welbeck suits the way you lot play so much more than Giroud. Seriously you'd be surprised at how easily he'll integrate at Arsenal. But a debut against City? Oh my. You lot better hope Kos and Chambers don't pick up injuries. Luckily Mertersacker has retired from international duties.
Original post by manchesterunited15
Fabregas >>>>>>>>>Welbeck = Balotelli > Lampard

Nah
Fabregas is way better than the rest
Lampard maybe won't impact city too much, but as a free (?) loan deal with his experience, that ain't bad
Balotelli is better than welbeck no question.
Original post by Arkasia
Ugh at least we have someone better than Sanogo now.

Exactly. Night :redface:
Original post by Peggles_*
To be fair I do get it, it's like if Wilshere left, I'd be devastated, seeing one of your own go. Haven't seen a bad word said by any of your lot so far. Some going as far as saying it's ruined the Falcao deal for them!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's because Welbeck is a solid player. He may not be great in converting chances, admitedly, but he does make up for it with his pace, his work rate and his defensive attributes :frown: I will really miss him and seeing him in an Arsenal shirt week in and week out will break my heart over and over
Original post by Lúcio
Nah
Fabregas is way better than the rest
Lampard maybe won't impact city too much, but as a free (?) loan deal with his experience, that ain't bad
Balotelli is better than welbeck no question.

Not including fees as relevant, just their ability. Lampard will barely play
Not much in it really. Wouldn't be at all surprised if Welbeck had a better goal record than Balo this year.
Eughh Welbeck in a Arsenal shirt. :confused:. Hope he has a good career. Put his heart into the club.
It still hasn't sunk in, that Welbeck is a gunner now.
Not much in it really. Wouldn't be at all surprised if Welbeck had a better goal record than Balo this year.

in terms of general ability and relative usefulness to their club, lampard is easily last.
he offers no extra quality to the city side, being used merely as a back up in case they have several midfield injuries.

balotelli is better than welbeck, although arsenal need their striker more.
liverpool will obviously use balo most likely in a diamond as seen against spurs, but he isn't essential unless sturridge gets injured.

honestly, i wouldn't be surprised if welbeck scores more, but that doesn't mean he would have had a better season than balotelli.
as i've said, welbeck would be the peak of a devastation arsenal attack, ready to finish off the many chances they will surely create.

essentially, welbeck is at arsenal to finish off chances that sanogo simply doesn't have the ability to finish; he's there to win them games like the leicester match where they struggle to create and are not clinical enough when they finally break through.
balotelli is at liverpool to hold up play and help create more chances for the team as a whole, setting up runners like sterling/henderson, and basically being second fiddle to sturridge (obviously scoring when he can too of course).
both strikers, but their specific roles for the clubs may differ a little.

does that make any sense whatsoever?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7989
I can't imagine Welbeck in an Arsenal shirt 😐

Posted from TSR Mobile
Weren't Arsenal fans moaning similarly when RvP moved the other way 2 years ago?
My two cents on Welbz. This is going to be a mess.

I'm sad to see him go, always is when someone's been at your club for so long. But that's football for you. I agree with my fellow fans that we shouldn't sell to our rivals. But I'm okay with it because he's not a starter, and it's where he wants to go, so I'm happy for him in that respect. £16m is a very fair price for you guys all things considered. He is young, English and we're you're rivals.

Now, on to the player. Let's start with the pros.
- Pace and power (according to every pundit last season, that apparently wins you the league)
- Young, still has potential
- Fits the mould for an Arsenal player
- Link-up play is ace
- His instinctive finishing is very good
- Excellent in tight spaces
- Works very hard, regularly nicks the ball high up the field
- He compliments your other players very well. His movement will be useful for Ozil. He stretches play which will benefit the likes of Alexis, Walcott and Ramsey.
- Can play in more than one position

The cons
- He's a pussy. Seriously the best way to describe his attacking play. One on one with the keeper, he can lose his bottle. He'll also regularly take the easy option when attacking. If for example you're two on two and he has the ball at his feet, he'd look to pass it to his team-mate rather than take the defender on. I guess you can say he needs more self belief. He needs to shoot more. This will frustrate you.
- His movement inside the box and general decision making can be extremely unintelligent. Something you probably haven't noticed but will slowly start to. This will frustrate you.
- He fluffs up a lot. With his finishing and dribbling. This will frustrate you.
- He will frustrate you, but that's part of what I meant by Arsenal mould too.

Definitely more positives than negatives, but the negatives are quite big and him being a pussy covers quite a bit.

Overall, I think he'll be a good signing and it'll be neck and neck between who your first choice #9 will be between Welbz and Giroud, when he's fit of course. If he starts every game as your #9, I'm pretty sure he'd average around a goal every two games or possibly better. But that may include a run of 8 goals in 8 games but then no goals in the next 5 games. Wenger is probably the right man to develop him into his peak and improve his confidence. I'm sure there's more to say but I'm going to bed now. All the best Danny.
Original post by Lúcio
in terms of general ability and relative usefulness to their club, lampard is easily last.
he offers no extra quality to the city side, being used merely as a back up in case they have several midfield injuries.

balotelli is better than welbeck, although arsenal need their striker more.
liverpool will obviously use balo most likely in a diamond as seen against spurs, but he isn't essential unless sturridge gets injured.

honestly, i wouldn't be surprised if welbeck scores more, but that doesn't mean he would have had a better season than balotelli.
as i've said, welbeck would be the peak of a devastation arsenal attack, ready to finish off the many chances they will surely create.

essentially, welbeck is at arsenal to finish off chances that sanogo simply doesn't have the ability to finish; he's there to win them games like the leicester match where they struggle to create and are not clinical enough when they finally break through.
balotelli is at liverpool to hold up play and help create more chances for the team as a whole, setting up runners like sterling/henderson, and basically being second fiddle to sturridge (obviously scoring when he can too of course).
both strikers, but their specific roles for the clubs may differ a little.

does that make any sense whatsoever?

How often have you watched balotelli over the last 2 years?
I will really miss Welbeck :frown:
Reply 7994

I think Balotelli is a slightly better player but I think Welbeck will score more goals this season. I still think that Balo won't be part of our 'best 11' once Lallana is fit. Of course there will be games where tactically it's better to go 2 up top, but it won't be every game. Welbeck for me will be first choice until Giroud is back, and if he does enough to impress then he will keep his place.
When you consider that we watched Remy, Balotelli, Mandzukic slip through our fingers and ended up with Danny Welbeck on deadline day...Wenger's had an absolute shocker here. He rarely played up front for Utd so we'll have to see how that goes, he probably has the potential to be a 20 goal a season striker in the long term but you cant really see him hitting the ground running can you?

Funnily enough £16m is probably not excessive given his Englishness and PL experience. Still, Remy at £10m would have been so much better.

We're also taking a big risk wrt having 3 CBs...

We havent a hope at the title, I think we can get 3rd, make the CL SFs with good draws and maybe get the cup again. In reality, we'll probably just get 4th, mess up the CL group and go out to PSG in the round of 16...getting sick of that, it's killing the prestige of the club.
(edited 9 years ago)
Weird to see
Fabregas in a Chelsea shirt
Welbeck in an Arsenal shirt
RVP in a Man Utd shirt
Balotelli in a Liverpool shirt
Lampard in a Man City shirt
Original post by Zerforax
Weird to see
Fabregas in a Chelsea shirt
Welbeck in an Arsenal shirt
RVP in a Man Utd shirt
Balotelli in a Liverpool shirt
Lampard in a Man City shirt

Weird to see the ex-Real Madrid manager buying his ex-rivals' players while at Chelsea :wink:
Original post by Zürich
When you consider that we watched Remy, Balotelli, Mandzukic slip through our fingers and ended up with Danny Welbeck on deadline day...Wenger's had an absolute shocker here. He rarely played up front for Utd so we'll have to see how that goes, he probably has the potential to be a 20 goal a season striker in the long term but you cant really see him hitting the ground running can you?

Funnily enough £16m is probably not excessive given his Englishness and PL experience. Still, Remy at £10m would have been so much better.

We're also taking a big risk wrt having 3 CBs...

We havent a hope at the title, I think we can get 3rd, make the CL SFs with good draws and maybe get the cup again. In reality, we'll probably just get 4th, mess up the CL group and go out to PSG in the round of 16...getting sick of that, it's killing the prestige of the club.

I was waiting for you to post, since you are the biggest pro-Wenger person on here. Are you still Pro-Wenger? This is mis-management at the highest order, I even heard on Twitter some of our board members are frustrated at Wenger not being able to make a decision on players he wants.
Not signing Cesc was in my mind conditional on getting either or both a ST and DM. Utter failure there, it's really indefensible.

Latest